And Now for Something Completely Different: A Tour of Queen Mary!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
If you think you might enjoy watching a badly edited series of short and poorly filmed video clips, laced with mild profanity and crude humo(u)r, please help yourself to this incomplete and generally terrible tour of RMS Queen Mary.

We were probably on the Queen Mary about four years ago, stayed there the night before we chartered a sailboat for a run to Catalina. Parts of the ship were in very sad shape then, kind of depressing. That southern California sun is not kind to the old ship. As I remember they closed it for a while for repairs and renovations. From the looks of the paint peeling on the foredeck, it still has some work to be done. Trying to keep those big nostalgic boats alive is just a money hemorrhage, like the SS United States rusting away in Philly. Sad to see a grand old ship decaying.

Sure would make a pretty artificial reef. :devil:

Ted

Maybe a reef someday, but for now she’s in decent shape for 84 years old. I think they just painted her a year or two ago. I’ve worked on older ships in far worse condition.

It is difficult to see how they support the enterprise. It can’t be cheap, and it was largely empty when I was there.

However it works, I’m glad someone went to the trouble. I’ve been an ocean liner nerd since I was a fetus, and this is one of only a few of these heroes I’ll ever be able to meet.

Dave, when you were in L.A. Harbor-Long Beach did you check out the Lane Victory?
It's an operational victory ship that still takes visitors on lunch cruises in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom