Do You Know Who Doris Miller Is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great story, thank you for sharing[emoji631]

I do. Have for as long as I can remember (69yo). Remember Pearl Harbor? I do. However, our president, when visiting Pearl Harbor, had to ask what had happened there. I am no fan of the man but, truthfully, I believe a majority of Americans share his ignorance. Pearl Harbor? Never forget? Every Sept. 11th, I hear someone bloviating about how America will never forget the attack on the Twin Towers. Sadly, with time, we will, just as the memory of Pearl Harbor has faded, a much more catastrophic event. Pearl Harbor now only gets passing mention every December 7th. Makes me crazy.

I do. Have for as long as I can remember (69yo). Remember Pearl Harbor? I do. However, our president, when visiting Pearl Harbor, had to ask what had happened there. I am no fan of the man but, truthfully, I believe a majority of Americans share his ignorance. Pearl Harbor? Never forget? Every Sept. 11th, I hear someone bloviating about how America will never forget the attack on the Twin Towers. Sadly, with time, we will, just as the memory of Pearl Harbor has faded, a much more catastrophic event. Pearl Harbor now only gets passing mention every December 7th. Makes me crazy.

I don’t believe that any American is unaware of the events of Pearl Harbor and 7 December 1941- despite what a book with a decidedly political agenda suggests.

One can argue the significance of the two all day and how one might BE a stronger influence on different generations.

Not sure either will fade in the near future to everyone, but yes the farther away an event, no matter what it is will fade eventually...sometimes just the enormity of the new.

WWI quickly faded after WWII, except for those that lived it. 9/11 and the war on terrorism is racking up it's own legacy.

I did not know who Doris Miller was, thanks for the link.
I do know what Pearl Harbor was about and have visited.
Naming a vessel after a person (deserving) will put great pressure on choosing the next name.

As an ex-Navy guy stationed in Pearl, I knew who Does Miller was immediately. I think it is a fitting honor.

I lived in the old hospital on Ford Island before the bridge went in. There were still bullet holes from the attacking Japanese planes on the back side of the building. Spent a fair amount of time at the Utah memorial, contemplating that day.

I re-enlisted on December 7th in Pearl Harbor. No, not on Arizona memorial, too busy that day, but on the boat. So I remember the anniversary quite well for a few reasons.

I don’t believe that any American is unaware of the events of Pearl Harbor and 7 December 1941- despite what a book with a decidedly political agenda suggests.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom