Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #1

City: Wilmington, NC
Cannon found in Cape Fear

A friend of mine is an archaeologist near Wilmington, NC and I saw a post of his on Facebook today. He and his team found a 250 year old cannon in the Cape Fear! I've attached pics of the FB post and where it was located. Here's the article: Capt. William Dry's brave patriotism helped spur Revolutionary War - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

If you're sailing or boating in the area this is a great place to stop. It's a true learning experience for children and adults, too. When I was looking on the map to see where it was found, I saw that Navionics even has "Ruins of Old Brunswick" on their charts! I put a a blue marker on the chart where the cannon was found so you can see. I've been to the plantation before (by way of land) and it's a really neat place. Definitely worth visiting if you're in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	60142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	60143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	60144  

PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Last Resort
Vessel Model: Hyatt 40 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
A friend of mine is an archaeologist near Wilmington, NC and I saw a post of his on Facebook today. He and his team found a 250 year old cannon in the Cape Fear! I've attached pics of the FB post and where it was located. Here's the article: Capt. William Dry's brave patriotism helped spur Revolutionary War - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

If you're sailing or boating in the area this is a great place to stop. It's a true learning experience for children and adults, too. When I was looking on the map to see where it was found, I saw that Navionics even has "Ruins of Old Brunswick" on their charts! I put a a blue marker on the chart where the cannon was found so you can see. I've been to the plantation before (by way of land) and it's a really neat place. Definitely worth visiting if you're in the area.

There are tons of wrecks around here.
NC-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote