Anchor Locker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Amigo

I have a 1989 44' cpmy. The windless dumps the anchor chain on the forward slanted aspect of the hull. The chain piles on top of itself and backs up jamming the windless. Later models relocated the windless farther aft to resolve this issue by directing the retrieved chain into the center of the locker.

Anyone have a fix for this issue short of relocating the windless. Thanks.

It should be possible to make an angled plate or pipe right under the deck to direct the chain to fall a few inches further back, provided you've got enough fall below that to avoid the extra friction causing issues.

I have the same issue. I have 550 feet of chain. The only fix I have found is every 40 feet, I go from the bow, down to the salon, down to the galley, across the VIP bed to the chain locker and knock the pile over to the left. Then I make my way all the way back to the bow. Pull in another 40 ft and push the pile to the right......

I have tried cones, plates etc. Nothing works. Just a poor design on our Camarque 48.

Welcome aboard. I would try something like the suggestions in post #2. It should be fairly easy to make something simple and if it works then build a more substantial guide. I would use something like HDMW plastic since it is very slippery and tough.

I have ABS pipe, like drain pipe from a home store. It needs to be wide enough to pass links sideways and you need SOME fall after it comes out to keep tension on the links in the pipe. In your situation, I might try a couple sweep elbows back to where you want it to fall.

I have a 1988 OA 420 Sundeck and have had the same problem. I have tried the following:

Two different sized traffic cones both empty and filled with expanding foam to make them rigid.

Starboard in various different shapes with blocking underneath.

A board in various different positions.

I tried variations of all of those things in different positions and was never able to get a solution that worked all the time. I do the same as ASD and head below every 50' and knock it over.

A large ABS drainpipe might be an interesting idea - is it under where the chain falls at an angle going downwards? Any more details would be interesting...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom