Upgrade anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Carl

Time to upgrade anchor on 2005 Mainship 34 trawler. Original anchor difficult to set in bow pulpit. Primary use in southern Chesapeake Bay. 20 ft of chain on current line. Recommendations requested. Thanks!

Depending on the pulpit, either the original Rocna or the Vulcan will work. Lots of other choices in modern anchor designs what will work equally well. Lots of threads here on anchor types, manufacturers, and models.

Ted

If you focus mostly in that area then perhaps consider a Danforth or Fortress, for all that mud. Probably doesn't even need to be very heavy/large in size. Even if you are subject to tidal shifts it shouldn't be much of an issue with a deeply buried anchor.

Vulcan has drawings on their website that you can print to make a mock-up to see if it will actually fit. I wanted to try a Sarca Excel but they don’t have a file I could make a template from. They sent some kind of CAD file that I couldn’t open. Some say that the Sarca sheds mud well, but I am not going to order an anchor and pay $150 to ship it to me and find out it won’t fit and then pay $150 to ship it back.

Time to upgrade anchor on 2005 Mainship 34 trawler. Original anchor difficult to set in bow pulpit. Primary use in southern Chesapeake Bay. 20 ft of chain on current line. Recommendations requested. Thanks!

See recent threads on Vulcan. We're in the Chesapeake, and our intent is to try a Vulcan as primary, and back to Fortess as backup/kedge.

Not a recommendation for Vulcan yet, just our untried theory after months of analysis.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom