For those that think S/S chain is a good idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again just to keep the costs accurate, Cromox is not 10x or 12x the cost of galvi chain. Fisheries lists 1/2" Acco chain for $11/ft, and the list price for Cromox in the US is $37/ft. So a bit over 3x. Not 10x. Not 12x.

Again just to keep the costs accurate, Cromox is not 10x or 12x the cost of galvi chain. Fisheries lists 1/2" Acco chain for $11/ft, and the list price for Cromox in the US is $37/ft. So a bit over 3x. Not 10x. Not 12x.

Ok, maybe not 10x.

While not 10x a foot, a drum of G43 1/2" from Defender.com is $7 per foot. So 5+x per foot.

Replacing my Rocna 33 and 400' of Acco G43 is about $2,800. The anchor alone in SS is $3,400. I'm sure with the chain we're into 5 figures.

Ted

Personally I see no value in a SS anchor, but I do see value in SS chain. It's easier to keep clean which means less water rinsing it as it come aboard, and less crap in the chain locker. It also piles much more compactly, which in my specific situation is a big help. For others that might not matter at all. And it avoids the slow but steady accumulation of rusty flakey crud in the chain locker. Longevity is another possible benefit, though the corrosion issues discussed here will challenge the Cromox alloy to perform. I know I won't need to worry about galvanizing wearing off and subsequent rust, reversing the chain end to end to deal with that, and the ultimate need to replace completely because it's a rusty mess. Will the chain part before that? I think not, or I sure hope not. But only time will tell. Cromox has been in use on boats for many years now, so I think we'd be hearing about it if it were a problem...

The only SS failure data point we have is an unknown alloy, from an unknown manufacturer, in an overload condition where it failed along with a galvanized chain of unknown grade and unknown manufacturer. The most I think I can glean from that is that the two chains in question, whatever they are, are of roughly the same strength.

Last edited:
Personally I see no value in a SS anchor, but I do see value in SS chain. It's easier to keep clean which means less water rinsing it as it come aboard, and less crap in the chain locker.

While maybe not a huge value, the SS anchor will also come up much cleaner from a muddy bottom. Also, same metals of anchor and chain (and swivel?) eliminates galvanic corrosion issues. Again, not a huge value, but not zero.

Well that is better pricing than that Jimmy Green link I provided

For me that's still $14,500 AUD + freight from US to Oz
Freight on 312kg of chain is around $3000
That's $17,500 AUD for Cromox
Vs
$2000 for Galv delivered
That's 8.75 X more

Plus what I also see as a safety thing is , as a full time cruiser I replace my chain every 3 years vs getting it regalved.

Nice new unused rated chain

Not sure I'd be doing that if dropping $17,500 on chain but that chain has still had the same workloads applied.
Which, for us are pretty brutal.
Blowing dogs of chains for the last 24 hours here

Last edited:
Well that is better pricing than that Jimmy Green link I provided

For me that's still $14,500 AUD + freight from US to Oz
Freight on 312kg of chain is around $3000
That's $17,500 AUD for Cromox
Vs
$2000 for Galv delivered
That's 8.75 X more

Plus what I also see as a safety thing is , as a full time cruiser I replace my chain every 3 years vs getting it regalved.

Nice new unused rated chain

Not sure I'd be doing that if dropping $17,500 on chain but that chain has still had the same workloads applied.
Which, for us are pretty brutal.
Blowing dogs of chains for the last 24 hours here

Wow, you replace it every 3 years? Is that just precautionary, or has the galvanizing worn off in that time?

Wow, you replace it every 3 years? Is that just precautionary, or has the galvanizing worn off in that time?

Chop out 30 to 40m as Galv has gone and in some circumstances, slightly deformed enough so as not to play 100% nice in chainwheel.

Buy new 80m and join in with acco C link and soft shackle backup - acco link rates stronger than chain

Haven't yet needed to go past chain link when anchoring but if the link is rated stronger and also has soft link shackle backup I can't see an issue.

I also join the 2 halves with Sikaflex so as to keep any water out of joint.

The reason we don't end for end is that when we did that, we ended up with 40m of rusty flaking chain in the locker, makes a mess.

Think many of us use the first 100 to 150 feet of chain a lot and the rest not so much. Think the chain in the locker may suffer worst than the chain frequently deployed. Even though I periodically take a fresh water hose to the locker I don’t think that does as good a job of washing compared to the washing it gets between the water and roller. So think that less frequently deployed chain get dirty and wet and the bottom part sits in it for a longer time. So with chain I replace all of it not flip. Some how there’s always one or three links that are suspect in the rarely used run. Will cut a bit off the ends to get more service life but haven’t found going end for end that helpful. Therefore looking at expense I would think in terms of total replacement not flipping. Would wonder how well SS chain does when infrequently deployed and sitting in the bottom of a chain locker?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom