New Model - Rocna MK II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWT

Guru
Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawlers 38E
The latest Panope video mentioned a new Rocna release.

This looks interesting. Looks like a cross between the Vulcan and the original hoop style. The shank shape of the Vulcan creates a small challenge to snug it tightly against the roller, but the MK II seems to have addressed that with a notch on the shank.

It will be interesting to see how it performs in his tests, if he tests. He notes it has an expensive price and won't be testing it until / unless he can get his hands on one either through donations or a loaner.

Over the years Panope backed off on the Vulcan ratings from tops to something less. Its not clear to me just why.

https://rocna.com/products/rocna-mk-ii/

I see the resemblance.

But closer to a Vulcan with a roll bar

I just bought the original version about a month ago. what a difference. We love it because it hasn't let us down compared the the anchors we were using for the last 2 seasons.
we spend a lot of time on the hook and its very frustrating when your anchor doesn't bite.

We've been able to sleep at night once we bought the Rocna. It wasn't cheap. I guess I wont be upgrading to the MK2 for a while....:blush:

Looks impressive. The Manson Boss and Rocna Vulcan were steps away from the roll bar approach, and into that of the Spade, etc. Worked well mostly, but still some quick re-set vulnerability. This appears to be a blend of the best of both concepts. Dare I say it, as an old die-hard Super Sarca devotee, this does look good. :hide::peace:

Looks impressive. The Manson Boss and Rocna Vulcan were steps away from the roll bar approach, and into that of the Spade, etc. Worked well mostly, but still some quick re-set vulnerability. This appears to be a blend of the best of both concepts. Dare I say it, as an old die-hard Super Sarca devotee, this does look good. :hide::peace:

I have a brand new Vulcan on a brand new boat. In my short first season that has about ended the Vulcan has gotten wet exactly once. I am hardly in the market to consider replacement. It's performance thus far is 100%. :)

In 15 knots of wind that came around close to 180 degrees in the night that would have needed a reset, and I believe it did.

I did experience the violent twist into the proper position as it hit the roller that this design can have, coming up exactly backward, and I didn't take the time to use a boat hook to swing it around. It rides OK on the roller if you snug it up tightly, but that is one of its challenges that this new one appears to address.

Part Spade, part Ultra, part Vulcan and one unique part .. the shape of the roll bar.
In my opinion the only real flaw w the Rock was it short scope inability. I think if they fixed that .. if I had a boat I’d want one. Having said that and if I had to give up my Super Sarca .. maybe not.

I think the new roll bar is an attempt to fix the mud clogging issue without having to make it as big as a Mantus roll bar.

Part Spade, part Ultra, part Vulcan and one unique part .. the shape of the roll bar.
In my opinion the only real flaw w the Rock was it short scope inability. I think if they fixed that .. if I had a boat I’d want one. Having said that and if I had to give up my Super Sarca .. maybe not.
I think we feel alike, and for the same reasons, Eric. :D

Too complicated
And that'd make them too expensive

I like them simple like the Supreme or Bugel

Anyone know where the new Rocna is made? And if Steve/SV Panope has tested it yet?

Anyone know where the new Rocna is made? And if Steve/SV Panope has tested it yet?

I don't think he's gotten his hands on one to test yet.

Too complicated
And that'd make them too expensive

I like them simple like the Supreme or Bugel

For an anchor, I don't care how complicated or not it is. I just care that it's durable and works well. As long as they complexity doesn't screw up the durability, then do whatever magic you want to make it work better.

He has not tested it.

He is looking for donations to order one to test

For an anchor, I don't care how complicated or not it is. I just care that it's durable and works well. As long as they complexity doesn't screw up the durability, then do whatever magic you want to make it work better.

Yeah, but far less complicated to manufacture anchors that work incredibly well are already out there and are a proven thing

And if in a strange land and needing to clone one, I can do that easily.

He has not tested it.

He is looking for donations to order one to test

You would think if the new series anchor was so good, Rocna themselves would provide the sample to test?
Panoply Steve gives unbiased opinions, and a great source of information.

Rocna anchoring

We purchased the original Rocna anchor years ago just before we left on our 8yr Loop.

Holding on the Brown Chute cross-over on the Mississippi in an 8mph Action stage river was the final proof of that anchors holding capabilities.

The MKII may hold better, BUT for us, the proof was in our current anchor, and I don't see any reason in changing at this point.

There will always be a Rocna on our bow.

The latest Panope video mentioned a new Rocna release.

This looks interesting. Looks like a cross between the Vulcan and the original hoop style. The shank shape of the Vulcan creates a small challenge to snug it tightly against the roller, but the MK II seems to have addressed that with a notch on the shank.

It will be interesting to see how it performs in his tests, if he tests. He notes it has an expensive price and won't be testing it until / unless he can get his hands on one either through donations or a loaner.

Over the years Panope backed off on the Vulcan ratings from tops to something less. Its not clear to me just why.

https://rocna.com/products/rocna-mk-ii/

I have so far raised $400 of the $700 needed to purchase a 9kg MKII. I'll test as soon as the $700 goal is met.

Donations are being made to my PayPal account: https://paypal.me/svpanope

----------------------------------

Regarding the apparent Vulcan 'de-rating':

I have focused the comparison testing on two anchor size groups: 20lb range, and 45lb range.

While the Vulcan sits at the top of the 45lb chart, six other anchors rate higher (currently) on the 20lb chart. This is due to the fact that the 20lb testing includes new seabeds, protocols, and a "bench test" in which the Vulcan happens to be less than ideal.

Note: I now consider the rankings on the 45lb chart to have been made obsolete by the more comprehensive 20lb testing. At this point, I have no plans to add these new parameters to the 45lb testing because of the fantastic amount of time needed to conduct the tests,

20lb. Anchor Data Sept 2023.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom