Mantus Anchor Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWT

Guru
Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawlers 38E
I stumbled upon the Mantus Anchor Guard. See the clip below.

With a Vulcan ready to install, a concern has been that the shape does not create a chance for it to snug up against a roller, and might flop around a bit. The sales pitch is this Anchor Guard provides that way to snug it.

For those who have a concern about the anchor tip against the hull, its designed to address that too.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

We put this on our Ranger Tug for this reason and it worked well.

Great. Thanks for the feedback

I agree with NSM. It is worth the money.

18967-albums1148-picture8005.jpg

I stumbled upon the Mantus Anchor Guard. See the clip below.

With a Vulcan ready to install, a concern has been that the shape does not create a chance for it to snug up against a roller, and might flop around a bit. The sales pitch is this Anchor Guard provides that way to snug it.

For those who have a concern about the anchor tip against the hull, its designed to address that too.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've been looking at it for a while. We enlarged our forward roller and that moved our Vulcan fluke tip slightly further away from the hull... but I haven't tested whether that did the trick or not.

Their Anchor Guard looks like it'd be another step forward, but not sure whether we need one or not.

-Chris

Thanks Seadog and Chris

Your feedback helpful. Its inexpensive. I'll obviously try it without, but thinking it likely I'll give this a go.

I've been looking at it for a while. We enlarged our forward roller and that moved our Vulcan fluke tip slightly further away from the hull... but I haven't tested whether that did the trick or not.

Their Anchor Guard looks like it'd be another step forward, but not sure whether we need one or not.

I did get one. The smaller size, said to fit an 85-lb Mantus so I guessed it would fit an 88-lb Vulcan.

I could tell in advance I'd need a longer shaft bolt, since the Mantus sideplate is about .4" width. Ordered a new 5/8" x 11tpi x 6" shaft bolt from McMaster-Carr.

Just tried to install; no joy. Our forward anchor roller 5/8" shaft bolt won't fit through the Mantus mounting hole. That's been a surprise, since the Mantus website hints at using the original shaft bolt, if it's long enough -- or at least the original diameter. And since all the measurements on the actual instruction sheet (nothing shown for the shaft bolt, though) are given in Imperial/SAE sizes.

Looks like a 15mm bolt would be the next choice. (No, I don't have any way to ream the Mantus hole a bit larger.)

Our whole ground tackle thing has been a gift that just keeps on taking. And taking. And taking. <sigh>

-Chris

I did get one. The smaller size, said to fit an 85-lb Mantus so I guessed it would fit an 88-lb Vulcan.

I could tell in advance I'd need a longer shaft bolt, since the Mantus sideplate is about .4" width. Ordered a new 5/8" x 11tpi x 6" shaft bolt from McMaster-Carr.

Just tried to install; no joy. Our forward anchor roller 5/8" shaft bolt won't fit through the Mantus mounting hole. That's been a surprise, since the Mantus website hints at using the original shaft bolt, if it's long enough -- or at least the original diameter. And since all the measurements on the actual instruction sheet (nothing shown for the shaft bolt, though) are given in Imperial/SAE sizes.

Looks like a 15mm bolt would be the next choice. (No, I don't have any way to ream the Mantus hole a bit larger.)

Our whole ground tackle thing has been a gift that just keeps on taking. And taking. And taking. <sigh>

-Chris

You may be able to use a bushing on the roller to get to the size the guard uses.

You may be able to use a bushing on the roller to get to the size the guard uses.

Yeah, figured that'd be an option. Although reducing bolt size isn't attractive.

In the meantime, the nice Mantus customer service people have advised that opening up the hole from 9/16" to 5/8" wouldn't cause any problems with the Anchor Guard.

And they also agree that their Medium size is what's appropriate for a Vulcan 40 (88-lbs, similar to their 85-lb M2).

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom