Combined remote and counter windlass control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I solo, I would like the option to control the windlass remotely while tracking the feet (Display on the remote showing the feet). (example when I'm in the forward berth dealing with the chain pile)
Recommendations?

Last edited:
If you happen to have a Lofrans windlass you could look at the Lofrans Thetis. I have the 7003 onboard (which is not remote) and that will give me the amount of meters chain we have out. You can also set it to feet if you wish.
I can't tell you if it will work with any other brand windlass, perhaps someone here can enlighten you.

As for remote operation, the Thetis can be had in a remote version.
And the chain pile ? If you have a good way to avert that one I will be all ears, since it is indeed very annoying to have to run down to push the chain around while you are raising the anchor. I am playing with some ideas, but nothing concrete yet, so am all ears.

Great question. In an era when everything "has an app," you'd think this would be one of them. And while they're at it, how about integrating the operation and counter functions into NMEA 2000? Seems like a natural for new glass dash types.

My Raymarine S100 remote for my Autopilot has a screen and could very easily display current feet/meters. In fact, as I ponder it, a complete system that has Autopilot/Windlass/BowThruster all on a lanyard that follows me around the boat.

There are a few manufacturers of windless displays and controllers. Sounds like you want wireless if you want to use it from the chain locker.
I guess you could rig a wired plug in there too, but I think I’d rather work out a method to keep the chain pile under control and work the winch from up top.

Look at AutoAnchor too. Wireless model combining chain counter and windlass control.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom