bow pulpit refurbish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbsurf

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Inara
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 classic
Lately my chain was throwing rust as it went thru the gypsy then rust was on my deck. Had to change. Once I had removed the chain, I started to wash away the stain and sand off the Cetol Marine light and kept going to get wood bare. Chain was acid washed and hot dip galvanized. Coating was 3 ml Splicing the triple strand on the chain was a first. I watched you tube and went for it. Used blue and red sharpies and fid. Marked every 30' with a zip tied piece of vinyl with depths. 42 lb. Lewmar claw, Seadog swivel, 200' 5/16" BB and 250' 3/4" 3 strand nylon, and a McMurray anchor winch. I am sold on Cetol Marine followed by Cetol Gloss. There's lot of grain definition.

Attachments

• anchor splice.jpeg
    anchor splice.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20
  • bow pulpit.jpeg
    bow pulpit.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 20
Very nice upgrade!

Cetol has a bad rap because people tend to just “slop” it on without the proper prep. Your work looks very nice. It will hold up well. Also a sunbrella cover for the winch and pulpit is a worthwhile investment.

Cetol has a bad rap because people tend to just “slop” it on without the proper prep. Your work looks very nice. It will hold up well. Also a sunbrella cover for the winch and pulpit is a worthwhile investment.

What is the proper prep for Cetol? Asking because that is what came on our boat and I plan on using it up.

If you are starting from scratch a good sanding with 80 grit and a wipe with thinner or acetone is sufficient. If going over Cetol that is in good condition A wash with TSP and a Scotchbrite pad before re coating worked well for me. From raw wood 3 coats natural teak and 2 coats of gloss will give you 3 years here in the northeast. No sanding between coats necessary but 220 sanding between the gloss coats will give a nicer finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom