Anchor chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The kellet shines in a storm or other similar situation. It allows one to have and use a much smaller anchor 90% of the time.

But many here don’t even lay a hand on the anchor or even the rode. Much can be learned from the vibrations of the rode under tension.
And if/when your winch quits (I’ve read of that many times here on TF) you have a much easier time of it retrieving your ground tackle. First the kellet and then the rode and anchor.

You can keep the kellet line and use it for anchor retrieval after removing the kellet.

You could retain your inexpensive anchor that has only medium performance (Like a Claw) and use a heavy kellet. Can’t imagine an anchor that wouldn’t perform considerably better w a kellet. You could even consider it inside ballast. Retain a slim deep diving anchor and insure it dosn’t lack for not having ballast.

Although an inadequate anchor could benefit from a kellet, that should not be your normal solution. You should have an adequate anchor that you can trust in almost any situation. Add a kellet if you want to in a very short scope situation or if you want some extra peace of mind in a serious blow (though it won't likely make or break the deal).

Absolutely correct! If I live to be a "thousand", I will never understand why anyone would question the value of a chain counter! Expensive anchors, expensive chain, expensive electronics, etc. but don't think a chain counter is worth it! :facepalm::banghead:

Heard that schools aren't teaching manual/mental multiplication or division, with reliance placed on electronic calculators. :eek::banghead::facepalm:

backinblue,
HaHa
OK
Nobody likes a kellet.

But for a 25-32’ trawler w/o a windlass the Kellet would be very useful.
But HaHa again. I resemble that and I’ve never used the kellet I made. I should have but as Mark says “too much trouble”. I agree. I even anchored in a 50 knot gale w an 18lb anchor and didn’t bother w the kellet. Not sure why. Perhaps I just didn’t even think about it. Shouldn’t be that much trouble once one got used to it.

backinblue,
HaHa
OK
Nobody likes a kellet.

But for a 25-32’ trawler w/o a windlass the Kellet would be very useful.
But HaHa again. I resemble that and I’ve never used the kellet I made. I should have but as Mark says “too much trouble”. I agree. I even anchored in a 50 knot gale w an 18lb anchor and didn’t bother w the kellet. Not sure why. Perhaps I just didn’t even think about it. Shouldn’t be that much trouble once one got used to it.

Curious why the lack of a windlass makes it more useful?

I have to very respectfully disagree. A kellet can be a useful accessory at times, but should not be a bandaid for an undersized anchor. If weight is an issue, go with a lightweight anchor like a Fortress that has tremendous holding power. You could also consider shortening your chain and/or going to a smaller size but stronger grade of chain. Not everyone pays attention to the grade of their chain, only the size. You may be able to go down a size and still have the same strength. Bottom line is that your ground tackle needs to be adequately sized for your boat, with or without a kellet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom