XM Weather with multiple brands of chartplotters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sndog

On my boat, I will have 6 Raymarine units(4 12", 2 7"), a Timezero professional system, and two Garmin units(12").

The Raymarine is for augmented reality and object detection as well as system monitoring (7") units. The Garmin units are the Panoptix 51, and the Timezero is for larger monitors for easier visibility for navigation.

My question is for the XM Weather, as each manufacturer makes their own, is it possible to have one weather unit, connected to N2K and have all three manufacturers receive the data from it?

I wish. I don’t know of any MFD manufacturer that will push XM weather data to somebody else’s MFD. At this time weather is best gotten off the internet using one of many different apps. With Starlink, broadband is easier to get than getting two different competitors to share weather data.

Tom

It is a good question, since all of the XM weather receivers are in fact made by SiriusXM, and house branded by the marine supplier. Makes you wonder how different they are. They are all connected via ethernet as far as I am aware, too much data for N2K maybe (like radar).

I would imagine the amount of data from XM weather is far too much to send over N2K.

DDW,

A couple years ago I was trying to figure out why I couldn’t see all the data XM was sending on a Lowrance MFD. Lowrance sent me to XM who said not their problem as the data was sent to them by WSI. WSI was in fact sending the data and XM was repeating it, but Lowrance didn’t make provisions for displaying it on my systems because XM’s public stance was they didn’t serve Alaska.

What l learned in this is the data set isn’t all that big as the data transmission capacity of XM is not that great and using it for weather would reduce their ability to send their normal programming. The data is basically text and probably GRIB files. I guess if they wanted to provide the data across a wired or wireless Ethernet in the WSI format, it could be passed around, but wouldn’t sell MFDs. XM could do that themselves pretty easily but agreements with the marine electronics industry probably negates that.

Tom

I wish. I don’t know of any MFD manufacturer that will push XM weather data to somebody else’s MFD. At this time weather is best gotten off the internet using one of many different apps. With Starlink, broadband is easier to get than getting two different competitors to share weather data.

Tom

:iagree:

I thought it was to much money for one weather source.

Back
Top Bottom