Old 05-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Crystal River, FL
Wireless Cameras

Anyone install wireless cameras in the bilge, on the boat? Looking for ideas.

Chrisaensing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Purpose?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Yes. One in the engine room that is 110VAC, wireless to a small dedicated monitor in the pilothouse.

Another 110VAC that is WiFi - used as a boat monitor. It watches our power distribution panel, listens for alarms and forced entry, and reports motion to my devices. Very simple and effective. Made by Wyze and $25.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have a wired camera in our engine room. We keep it up on our 2nd MFD all the time so I do look at it frequently. Looking for smoke or water spraying. Because you know when you let the smoke out of something it will no longer work...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
But in the bilge? That's what I'm curious about. Going to need something very salt water resistant and rugged for that, and I can't understand why you'd need one there to begin with.

Engine room I totally get, if you are unable for some reason to make regular checks especially. Cameras can't smell or listen or take the temperature of various components very well, so I prefer taking a first hand visit. But yeah, an engine room camera is nice to have for sure.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
When he said bilge, I assumed he meant the engine room. I have 2 high water alarms for the bilge so I see no reason to have a camera to look at the water. I would just wait for the high water alarm to go off.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #7

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
So I just tried a wireless battery camera from Heimlife purchased thru Amazon to use with a 2.4ghz wireless router *not* connected to the internet. My use case was temp mounting on sides when backing into a tight slip. That old free up our 12v Raymarine to re-aim farther aft so I can keep an eye on a towed RIB. Great camera, worked as advertised EXCEPT when on,y on our “private” network.

To take this subject a little further, has anyone identified and/or set up battery operated or even plug in wireless cameras on an onboard private wireless network - NO Internet access? I don’t need remote monitoring etc. I just want a few inexpensive cameras around the boat that I can monitor on my iPhone and/or iPad. Battery operated preferred. Compatible with Raymarine Axiom a true plus.

There are many good small “outdoor” video cameras available but how many function without an Internet connection? (Heimlife insisted their camera should function, but I could only get it to connect a few times on a random basis).
MMSI 368040470
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Purpose?
View the engine room
Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverlake View Post
To take this subject a little further, has anyone identified and/or set up battery operated or even plug in wireless cameras on an onboard private wireless network - NO Internet access? I don’t need remote monitoring etc. I just want a few inexpensive cameras around the boat that I can monitor on my iPhone and/or iPad. Battery operated preferred. Compatible with Raymarine Axiom a true plus.

There are many good small “outdoor” video cameras available but how many function without an Internet connection? (Heimlife insisted their camera should function, but I could only get it to connect a few times on a random basis).
At my dirt house I have what they call an "NVR" - Network Video Recorder. It manages up to eight WiFi cameras on their own dedicated network. It actually uses IP, so you could use the cams without the recorder box, but it's all set up as a nice package. I can access the NRV via a dedicated monitor, or remotely because it's also connected (wired) to my home network router.

These are infrared cameras. My plan is to put a couple in the ER and other places on board when I sell the house.

Everything (DVR and cameras) runs on 12VDC, 3A wall plugs.

Another option I've explored would be aftermarket "back-up" cameras for cars. They also run on 12V, and come as a complete system, camera and monitor. I bough a cheap one on eBay to test, but the monitor had those "parking line" overlays on it which made it difficult to use.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
So I just tried a wireless battery camera from Heimlife purchased thru Amazon to use with a 2.4ghz wireless router *not* connected to the internet. My use case was temp mounting on sides when backing into a tight slip. That old free up our 12v Raymarine to re-aim farther aft so I can keep an eye on a towed RIB. Great camera, worked as advertised EXCEPT when on,y on our “private” network.

I am researching this very thing now- my proposed install for my aft facing camera has 12v power available, but would be a pain in the arse to run a POE cable to....so, I want to connect the camera to my Axion system via wifi.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaensing View Post
View the engine room
He wants it for the bilge not the ER.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
He wants it for the bilge not the ER.
To be Clear, Engine Room
Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #13

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: High Noon V
Vessel Model: Golden Star 42
Copied this link from discussion on another forum. Hope it helps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Should have been more clear in the first post ER and bilge are not the same
Old 05-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #15

City: Brunswick, GA
Vessel Name: MV RADIANT
Vessel Model: 1991 Carver Californian
I tried the Arlo today. Wireless, battery powered. Fit for outdoors. Connects to an onboard router thru a hub. I think it will also connect via a Google Home or Alexa device. Shows image on the app on your phone or tablet. Doesn’t need internet. Amy gripe is that it can’t do reverse image, so it’s no good for my intended purpose, backing into a slip. Would be a great engine room camera.
Ray.Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I have Arlo that I use to monitor the boat at dock when we are home. The cameras are battery powered, are a bit hard on batteries, and use batteries that are quite expensive (compared to 9V or AA, etc.).

Other than the battery issue, they are good cameras, detect motion, and have good night vision.
No affiliation, just a customer.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #17
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Quote:

Look at the Raymarine forum. They clearly state that their plotters are not compatible with wireless IP cameras. They require the camera to be wired to the network. The plotter can connect to the network wirelessly however.

BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #18

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Blues View Post
Copied this link from discussion on another forum. Hope it helps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Same camera as Heimvision. Same restrictions - doesn’t seem to work unless connected to the Internet; not compatible with simple standalone wireless network.
MMSI 368040470
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #19

City: St Louis
Vessel Name: Seasoned
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
The Wyze cameras are 5vdc, which can adapt to 12vcd or 110ac.
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Look at the Raymarine forum. They clearly state that their plotters are not compatible with wireless IP cameras. They require the camera to be wired to the network. The plotter can connect to the network wirelessly however.

BD
Agreed. My question is this- I believe drones controlled by an Axiom MFD can stream video- how is this permitted, but an wifi camera is not?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote