Victron or other lifepo batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi,
I’m now starting my new DC system and curious if there are strong opinions about battery manufacturer. I’m moving to 24v with 24 to 12 DC/DC step downs for the main panel, will upgrade the windlass motor and the alternator to 24v. Before this summers trip I split my pilothouse into a separate Lifepo bank using Victron smart lithium batteries, shunt/bms and stacked Victron DC/DC chargers.

I’ve been really happy with the Victron batteries and like the ability to see cell balancing and voltages via Bluetooth. My installer is suggesting battleborn for the main bank but they seem to be much larger/heavier (similar to the old generation Victrons) and lack Bluetooth.
Are there any other makers to look at, space is constrained so that’s a factor.

Current plan is to use the 24v 200ah-A victrons or the 12v 200ah batteries in pairs. Opinions welcome.

Rod at marinehowto.com did an article on LiFePO4 batteries that may help you decide.

I would try to use a battery system where the BMS gives a warning well in advance of an emergency disconnect. That's the best way to gracefully shut down an alternator, and it's an important warning to you that the lights are about to go out. I don't believe any of the Battleborn batteries can do this, and in general it's not a feature of so-called drop-in batteries. I think the Victron system can do it, but check carefully since they have such a hodge podge of products, it's hard to keep track of what works with what and does what.

The ABYC draft standard required that BMSes give such a warning, but it was dropped out of the final standard since it would have rendered so many existing installations non-compliant. But I expect it will find it's way back in over time.

The ABYC draft standard required that BMSes give such a warning, but it was dropped out of the final standard since it would have rendered so many existing installations non-compliant. But I expect it will find it's way back in over time.
It absolutely will be added. As a business decision, i will not install so called "drop in batteries" on a boat for just this reason. The BMS receives information and based on the information it signals ATC and ATD. The drop ins don't have this capability.

Completely agree, the lynx bms does this, my understanding is the cheaper victrons don’t but have other ways of accomplishing a graceful disconnect. I haven’t had much time to play with the PH setup that uses the less expensive Smart BMS. What I believe they do have on some of the less expensive bms systems is a separate alternator input. For the Pilothouse I’m only use DC/DC chargers so simply need the charger signal/relay to trip before the main protect disconnect.
For the new main bank I’ll do all Lynx as it seems to be the best out right now and will play well with the new Victron inverters.

Also huge thanks to the advice in the DynaGen, unit is working great and a big upgrade as far as generator control.

AC

If you are hands on, ordering your own prismatic cells, configuring to to your own desired configuration and selecting your own BMS seems to yield the best results. You learn a lot along the way and are intimately familiar with your system, you also end up with 50%-100% higher capacity for the same cost versus a "drop in" battery.

@Arthurc:
The Lynx BMS is excellent although I prefer and use the VE.Bus BMS in my Victron LFP installations.

I installed 3 Kilovault 200A batteries in my boat 2 months ago. So far so good!

Now I live in the N.E. so cold storage was important. They are Bluetooth with a RJ45 port for firmware upgrades. Also have a internal heater which is goof proof. SO if its below 32F and you turn the charger on the heater will turn on and once the batteries reach temp the BMS will start charging the batteries.

@Arthurc:
The Lynx BMS is excellent although I prefer and use the VE.Bus BMS in my Victron LFP installations.

Would love to know why? Is it because of capability or something else. Since I’m going to relocate my bank at the same time I need all new distribution, fusing, etc which is why I am leaning toward the lynx. Early in the design phase so open to other options.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom