Remove or terminate old wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a small pair of wire cutters with a curved back. With just a bit of care they do NOT leave any protrusion to produce a cut.

Yes, leaving ANY tag from a cut off Tyrap will bite you or someone sooner or later.

Those tags produce a very sturdy , sharp point which can rip your hand or arm open.

And YES, I have seen it happen. A bloody mess.

If you can't/won't do a proper trimming then leave the end TOTALLY alone.

Some time ago the self trimming zip tie was invented. They really don’t cost any more than normal zip ties. No tools needed, once the tie is pulled tight you just twist it and a built in blade cuts the tie. The cut is recessed so no chance of getting cut by a sharpie edge.

And for those of us who take blood thinners, it is even more exciting.
I carry a supply of something that clots the blood almost instantly. Apply the powder, cover with bandaid bleeding stops. I think it is one of a few positive things that came out of the Vietnam war.

Another trick is a bit of heat to melt the tag end.

Professionals should be using a cable tye tool which tensions and flush cuts the tye. I have had good results using a pair of Klein’s diagonal cutters by putting tension on the tag end while putting the cutting edges against the head of the tye using your thumb. Not perfect but won’t cut you up.

I am re-wiring a 20 year old 6 switch panel that seats over the helm. Some of the switches were doubled or tripled up. One switch went to a small fuse block. It is on the large size. Roughly 3.5 x 10 inches. I could have replaced it with an 8 Switch one that looked just like it. But I went with a 12 that was 4.5 x 10 inches. With switches and breakers removing the fuses.

I found 4 wires that were not in use. Two were for stereo remotes, but with Fusion uses NMEA2k. The radar had its own switch that I removed since the Dome and the GPS has a control wire that will do just that. Turn the radar on when from the GPS. I will end up with at lest 4 spares for future use.

What I am going to work on next is the NMEA2k Tees. How to make them smaller and neater. Thinking of using two 4 port Tees, but need to do more reach and think about it

Those tags produce a very sturdy , sharp point which can rip your hand or arm open. And YES, I have seen it happen. A bloody mess.

It's a common annoyance in IT cabling installations as well.

But zipties aren't the only risk, the end of the hose clamp is likewise dangerous. I had to get three stitches in one of my toes after I was trying to debug an improperly done transmission alignment. Vibration at speed that seemed like engine miss, I was checking ignition wires, but was wearing only sandals. When coming up out of the engine compartment I grazed a toe along a poorly connected clamp and got a nasty cut that needed several stitches. I now take extra caution to eye up any clamps and make sure they're not going to be a problem.

Long story, but final result was the local factory ZF guy stating "whoever did this should never attempt inboard engine alignments ever again".

Just how dangerous could zipties be? I'll offer this bit of DIY weaponry...

Attachments

• zip tie brass knuckles.jpg
    zip tie brass knuckles.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 14
It's a common annoyance in IT cabling installations as well.

But zipties aren't the only risk, the end of the hose clamp is likewise dangerous. not going to be a problem.

Long story, but final result was the local factory ZF guy stating "whoever did this should never attempt inboard engine alignments ever again".

Just how dangerous could zipties be? I'll offer this bit of DIY weaponry...

Nice weapon. No doubt very effective. LOL

Joining this thread just to say, "thanks' to the person who pointed me to the Klein pliers; I had no idea they existed.

I agree, next to hose clamps, zip tie ends are so dangerous in the ER and elsewhere. Melting the ends of zip ties sounds like a good idea until you actually try it – absolutely fine with the soldering iron but definitely not good with a naked flame in many situations!

What do people do about hose clamp ends?

For hose clamp ends, whenever possible I orient them to a direction where they're unlikely to present a snag hazard.

I do that too, but I was hoping that some clever person had worked out how to secure the end that sticks out to the clamp at self. If someone could design something to do that, they could become very wealthy, not to mention do some real good in the world!

I do that too, but I was hoping that some clever person had worked out how to secure the end that sticks out to the clamp at self. If someone could design something to do that, they could become very wealthy, not to mention do some real good in the world!

There are little rubber covers for clamp ends.

Can you point me to these, please, Archie? Cheers!

Sadly, no. Googling "Tridon clamp end covers" on the local (Australian) site yielded zero results. Searching for the ones socalrider found on US Amazon show no stock, and on Amazon AU, no results. Interesting; I will investigate further and report back if I can find some.

All these "solutions" to dealing with cutting off and melting zip tie ends are (for me) just additional reasons for using the simple, reusable, spiral windings. Another plus is that when you take off a spiral winding you are holding it in your hand. I can't remember the number of times I've cut off a zip tie and then wonder where it went. Especially the clear ones. Maybe the bilge? I've found them all over from previous work. I don't think my bilge pump would like injesting one.

Sadly, no. Googling "Tridon clamp end covers" on the local (Australian) site yielded zero results. Searching for the ones socalrider found on US Amazon show no stock, and on Amazon AU, no results. Interesting; I will investigate further and report back if I can find some.

No market? Maybe you Aussies have tough enough skin that you don't need them? :)

No market? Maybe you Aussies have tough enough skin that you don't need them? :)
It`s getting tougher, it needs to with one of our "neighbours".
One solution could be sizing clamps so the excess is less or nil, but that could make the initial fitting before clamping down more difficult.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom