Interest in touch panel ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Touch panel display thoughts?

Hi all,

I think I've mentioned in various postings that, very slowly over years, I've been poking at getting a touch panel made specifically for outdoor marine use. I love OpenCPN, but it kills me that there aren't any really good screen options.

I've had a bunch of duds...too much parallaxis, too narrow a viewing angle, not bright enough, don't dim enough, multitouch doesn't work right, brightness doesn't adjust well.
And, I've had a couple that were very usable, and that I used extensively, but that didn't knock it out of the park.

I've finally found a factory that managed to not only meet my specs, for real, but exceed them. I'm currently using a 15" 4:3 prototype that is 1800nit, has a front bezel knob to adjust continuously from 90nit (for night) on up. It IP66 on the front and IP65 everywhere else, e.g. cable ports. It is optically bonded, has pcap multi-touch, anti reflective and antifingerprint coatings, and USB and HDMI connections. It is natively 12v and runs off AC with an adapter if desired. The case is powder coated metal (aluminum bezel, stainless enclosure, separated by a gasket). I've requested some detail about the alloys.

I don't know the maximum viewing angles. I haven't measured it myself, yet, and they didn't put it in the specs they sent me -- just that it exceeds what I specified, which it does by a lot. Qualitatively, it is a very good image from any angle.

I can get batches tested and stickered for FCC compliance, but because it is a custom product that at best will be made in low volumes, I can't UL it. That process just doesn't work for anything that, itself, is not a full-blown process at scale. The only thing that can be ULed is the AC-DC adapter.

Also the panels are native 1024x768, which seems fine for the intended use but wouldn't match the specs of a monitor for a different use. The panels are basically designed for high-end kiosks, and trying to get higher native resolution (vs virtual) put me into niche space for the components -- with serious compromises elsewhere.

I'm not planning on a new career. But I am thinking of ordering a batch and throwing them up on eBay and if they sell well, repeating until it slows down. The basic goal being to serve PC-based chart plotter folks who want something for their flybridge.

If you DM me, I can share the prototype cost. It is up there. But the cost should be much more reasonable ordering a bunch at a time. I've requested some numbers. If I knew the actual cost and it were stable, at this stage I'd share it in the public post. But there are too many factors between the factory and me to have a stable number quite yet. So I don't want it in an uneditable/undeletable public post.

I didn't build the configuration as an all-in-one with built in PC, because there are some Kingdel industrial PCs, among many, many, others on Amazon that I think already solve the PC problem. They are small, 12v, and can be put into a console. I don't see any reason to tie a PC into the display.

I know that an air gap with a thermal film and gasket is the often considered the preferred solution for outdoor kiosks in full-time direct sunlight vs optical bonding, because it protects the black panel from getting super hot and aging prematurely from the solar load. I tried some like that, and the units with thin gap functioned well. But they still had more parallaxis than I like for the application. I preferred a really precise touch. And, most boat displays arent full-time direct sun, they are under a bimini, etc.

I'd be open to getting some in other sizes, but what I think is ready is 15" 4:3. I started with this because it is what I wanted and, myself, use. And one thing I learned is that these things need to be tested. Anything I left unspecified or under specified was often a surprise.

The factory provides a 1 year warranty.

Out of curiosity, if you happen to have an opinion, what would such a display be worth if it were sold via eBay with a 90 day warranty?

Hopefully this doesn't run afoul of any forum rules as I presently have no business, no displays to sell, and am still trying to sort out whether or not it would help enough people for it to be worth me going through the trouble.

Penny for any thoughts?

Last edited:
I am curious but I'm probably too cheap for you to take serious. May be you could PM an approximate cost and I could tell you if I'm still curious or just to cheap to be interested.

Reactions: STB
Hey Tiltrider,

I'm not selling anything at the moment, but I DMed you my prototype's cost. Production per-unit cost depends upon quantity, shipping method, cost of FCC testing, and some negotiation, etc. Quantity is probably the big factor as it amortized some of the costs.

I'm more curious if people see a big need for such a thing, or if this is just me thing.

Last edited:
I looked into off the shelf monitors that fit your close to your description. The cost was too high. I would be better off buying a Garmin, Simrad or other brand with a HDMI input.

But I guess, it are depends on what you want out of the display. For me, I was thinking of Time Zero and displaying it on the Flybridge.

Reactions: STB
Hey Iggy,

Out of curiosity, what off-the-shelf options do you know of with similar specs? I actually couldn't find any, which is what sent me down this path. I am curious to compare.

Thanks!

Hey Iggy,

Out of curiosity, what off-the-shelf options do you know of with similar specs? I actually couldn't find any, which is what sent me down this path. I am curious to compare.

Thanks!

I looked into it about 2 years ago. I really don't remember the brands. But it all boiled down to being sun light viewable, touch screen and waterproof.

I don't remember the exact specs, but when I found out the price. That was really shocking! For less money, I could have a 12" MFD unit that does everything plus a HDMI port to use TZ.

Prices have dropped https://hardboxusa.com/collections/...able-touchscreen-monitor-16-9-sdi-video-input this 12" is $1,400

Thanks!

I used to have one of those Xenarc's. It was a nice high-res, high-contrast screen with a wide viewing angle and no problem.with glare or fingerprints. It was also super rugged. But it didn't want to do pinch gestures for zooming on the touch screen and was 1000nit, which in my view is very marginal for the flybridge. I decided I wanted 1500+nit.

It also had a cable thst came out to a really fat connector that then connected to another cable that broke out into all of the individual cables. The fat connector made for a bug hole to install it, even though only a cable of a relatively modest diameter came through. I didn't like that, but it was part of the ruggedness and the high ip rating all-around, even on the back and bottom.

All these things seem to be balancing a lot of different factors and making different tradeoffs.

Last edited:
For what its worth......... The past owner used all Simrad stuff. So I have Simrad's 12" MFD that he installed and still being sold. The EVO3 model, if I had a choice I would have install Furuno.

I helped my friend install a TZ2 MFD by Furuno. I thought the Simrad had a great display. He's was much better. You my want to look at the TZ2 and TZ3 displays.

Hey Iggy,

My other display is a Simrad Evo3. I use it for a fish finder since OpenCPN doesn't do that. It's is also a backup plotter for me. Underway, I usually use OpenCPN for a chart plotter with a range set for navigation and the Simrad split between depth and a chart zoomed way out to keep track of the trip as a whole. They both share the radar, which, like most modern radars, can signal process to tune for two different ranges.

The two plotters for two ranges is most helpful within the ICW or approaching a pass vs open water.

I don't like the wide aspect ratio of many of the newer MFDs. It's only useful if I split screen. Otherwise the width is wasted when set for course-up.

One of my goals for this is for the display to be able to go brighter than a simrad or Fureno. I'll have those numbers from a meter and a video comparison shortly. But the video comparison has been somewhat challenging to get compared fairly.

Last edited:
Have you considered these guys?
https://www.sihovision.com/industrial-touch-monitor/15-inch-touch-screen-monitor-vga-hdmi-dvi-input.html

They fit all the requirements you mentioned and 15" waterproof touchscreen 12v monitor with bezel for easy panel installation is only $320
They sent me a few examples of those monitors installed on the boats including uncovered flybridges and looks like users are happy.

I almost ordered 2 of those a month ago but after a second measure they will not fit on my panel. I probably have to go to 13" or 12" (similar prices) but those have lower resolution which I do not like.

So far, I found only 2 issues with those:

- Shipping from China to Canada is $311 (pretty much the cost of the whole monitor)
Not sure if it will be less expensive to ship to US. Probably not by much.

- A second issue is the frame around the actual monitor is a bit too large compared to a normal 15" monitor. But very comparable to a normal chartplotter.

Otherwise, seems like a perfect option to use on the boat instead of overpriced brand chartplotter.

Yep. For my purposes and goals, I was sorely disappointed.

The viewing angle was terrible, in the sense that colors inverted beyond a certain modest viewing angle, the colors washed out when the brightness was turned up; zooming pinch gestures were hit and miss; and the brightness knob was jumpy. It also tested less than advertised brightness, reportedly due to other options added over the screen.

OpenCPN charts colors weren't true and shading blended together above a very modest brightness.

On the bright side, it was waterproof as described and paralaxis wasn't bad and it could be read effectively in daylight straight on.

Don't get me wrong. It was a solution to the problem. And, it may have been worth what they were asking. But it wasn't the high-end solution I was after.

I also have a note that the brightness knob wiggled because the shaft on the potentiometer was narrower than the hole for it innthe plastic knob, so the knob pivoted on the set screw when used, which was a minor concern, but still a concern.

Shipping on these things qty=1 and fast is expensive. But it goes down per unit with a slower speed and more quantity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_192335_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_192335_Alibabacom.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi STB
I have read your message in this post,I would like to talk with your requirements,and now I also run opencpn on my 12 inch display device which includes NMEA2000,0183,HDMI IN,Ethernet,WiFI interface.if you like please send email to me
We Can talk and show your by zoom meeting

Hi STB
I have read your message in this post,I would like to talk with your requirements,and now I also run opencpn on my 12 inch display device which includes NMEA2000,0183,HDMI IN,Ethernet,WiFI interface.if you like please send email to me
We Can talk and show your by zoom meeting

I've sent you a direct message. I see that you are new to the forum. You can get it and reply to me by clicking on "Your notifications" on top of the screen or going to "User CP" and then looking down the left column for "Private Messages"and the "List messages" under that.

Whether you are selling something, or not, you are welcome to direct.message (DM) me back, but do check the forum rules about public commercial posts before selling things publicly. They've got a special way of doing that to keep adverts and discussions separate and participants roles clear. I'd hate to get anyone in trouble with the moderators via a thread I started.

Last edited:
Thought I'd post some.pictures of the unit side-by-side with a Simrad NSS12 Evo 3, each at maximum brightness. It is visible brighter. It measures that way on the instrument, also, but it is put away and ai don't want to mis remember numbers.

I also posted pictures of each looking 5-10 degrees off of horizontal. They both seem to have a nearly 180 degree viewing area. The reflection seen in the images subjectively seems much worse than it does in person, maybe because we naturally will make small adjustments in heaf and eye position to minimize it. Dunno'.

I think ainforgot to hit the upload button....here we go!

Attachments

• 20240101_161657.jpg
    20240101_161657.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240101_161704.jpg
    20240101_161704.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240101_161710.jpg
    20240101_161710.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240101_161743.jpg
    20240101_161743.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240101_161756.jpg
    20240101_161756.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
Its hard to tell but is that matte gray material actually the bezel of the monitor or just a filler plate for your dash?

Its hard to tell but is that matte gray material actually the bezel of the monitor or just a filler plate for your dash?

It is a powder coated aluminum bezel. The bottom grew by ~1/2" to support the knob for brightness, vs the earlier version I had made that used buttons.

More generally, my understanding is that the bezel is the width it is for a few reasons. It allows for a wide flange and gasket for reliable waterproofing even when temperatures change rapidly, provides space for stuff around the screen like the backlight and menu control panel (at the bottom, in photo), cable routing especially for HDMI and USB, rigidity, to extend the life of the system when used in vehicles and vessels, and to protect the edges and surface of the panel from damage (surface because it is a little recessed).

I always ponder why Simrad, Fureno, etc, don't have as wide a bezel, if any bezel at all. In some sense they have it on the side with knows and buttons, but not all around. I'm guessing it is a combination of a little more risk tolerance and the desire to really avoid wasting space on boats. But, mostly I suspect that they are specially designed thst way vs a project like this that is mostly integrating and adapting available components with limits to how much they can be modified.

That part was specifically by the engineer that did the packaging, not me. I've never sought to shrink it. Shrinking it a little might be possible. But I suspect that the factory that built it uses this tech vs whatever Simrad, Fureno, etc, uae and won't want to warranty the waterproofing, etc, if a big change is requested. But I really don't know. I've.never asked.

Back
Top Bottom