Hardware Required to Mazimize SimRad/Rae Marine Sonar Functionality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryastu

Veteran Member
I have pretty much narrowed packages down to SimRad and Rae Marine. What is confusing to me is the sonar portion, having previously only been exposed only to smaller boats and sonar built into the displays. Specifically, what sonar equipment do I need to take advantage of the 1kw CHIRP technology and the down/side view Structure ScanI(SimRad) or Down/side Vision (Rae)?

With SimRad, I see the SonarHub Module; by connecting the appropriate transducer(s) to the this hub, does that provide both CHIRP and Structure Scan functionality; or is there additional equipment I need?

Similarly, with Rae Marine, do I need at least a CP 100 to take advantage of this technology? It looks like they have multiple sonars for multiple functionality; also see the RVX 1000 sonar, which looks like kind of an all in one solution,

Apologize if this question has is neophyte and repetitive but the answers are not clear to me, am going to contact the manufacturers but figured I’d start here.

I should note my functionality will using it on a 42-ft trawler, for fishing and cruising in Southeast Alaska.

I appreciate the help! -Ryan

We just installed a new Raymarine suite of electronics on our boat this past winter. The Axiom+ display incorporates a sonar module builtin. But if you want to go really deep you will need a black box sonar module. We put the Realvision 3D transducers on it just because I wanted it, not because I needed it. (Don’t tell my wife). So far they are great but I haven’t had much chance to really use it much. We have put Raymarine in our last 5 or 6 boats and have had excellent support from Raymarine.

I'd love to have a side-scan setup, if just for the fun of seeing the bottom (understanding this would only come at hull displacement speed or slower). Thus far Simrad and Humminbird have about the 'best' systems for bottom viewing. But (in my opinion) they're not really great for all-around navigation purposes and integration with other systems (radar mainly). I'm tempted to give one of the 7" systems a try on our dinghy.

I get the feeling that in another two years there will be 'better' live viewing options for this sort of thing. The technology has really been improving over the last decade.

Back
Top Bottom