GB Built-In Bilge Grounding Strip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

Have question regarding covering the built-in grounding strip that runs the entire length of the bilge in our GB with glass and epoxy in one location.

Am adding a new holding tank aft, partway down into bilge sticking partway up under rear head vanity.

To make a secure base for this new tank will expoxy and glass in a piece of 3/4 plywood sealed on all six sides with epoxy.

The location is such that it will permanently cover that built-in copper grounding strip that runs through the bilge. The strip is intact in that location and I do not intend to cut into it or harm it in any way - just cover it with epoxy as a necessary function of affixing this new plywood tank base into the bilge.

The plywood will be raised above the large incoming limber passage under the bulkhead forward to allow bilge water to still pass freely underneath unobstructed.

But the location of the grounding strip and the location of this new plywood platform will render the grounding strip permanently inaccessible in the future and covered with epoxy in that area.

Will that impact its ability to conduct electricity or otherwise do its thing providing galvanic grounding? I look at the epoxy like a plastic cover over wiring - the copper still exists underneath.

But before I mix up and apply something irreversible I thought I would get the opinion of the electrical and grounding experts on this forum.

Your thoughts please?

Thank you

Should not hurt anything. Just make sure you will not trap any water to promote corrosion.

Last edited:
Not sure that your copper strip was installed for galvanic grounding. I suspect it was installed by a PO as an antenna ground. But in any case covering it with non conductive epoxy or polyester will not affect its capabilities.

David

Not sure that your copper strip was installed for galvanic grounding. I suspect it was installed by a PO as an antenna ground. But in any case covering it with non conductive epoxy or polyester will not affect its capabilities.

David

It's a GB thing. They built a grid of about half inch wide foil strips in the bilge and then route the closest one to each underwater metal. It's for bonding and I agree, sealing in epoxy shouldn't hurt anything.

Okay. Thank you Gentlemen
I thought it would be okay, but wanted to double-check first.
Your feedback is appreciated.

Good point about making sure to not trap water.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom