EPIRB battery replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Bedford

I have a Mcmurdo G5 SmartFind Plus 406 GPS EPIRB. I need to replace the battery and so far have been unable to find a company who will do that brand/model. Do any of you know of a company who is authorized to do this?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve,

At the price of the replacement battery you might want to consider purchasing a new epirb with a 10 year battery.

I purchased a new epirb when I saw how much just a battery replacement cost. My new epirb has a 10 year battery and 10 year warranty and came with a ditch bag.

ACR GlobalFix V4 CAT II Manual Bracket EPIRB & Ditch Bag Kit (2355) on Amazon. Better price than on the ACR site and includes ditch bag. Price was $509.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HGS94Y7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Agree that the preferred option is a new unit.

Still, I can't help feeling like the whole thing is a bit of a scam. I understand that inspected commercial vessels need a certified EPIRB and re-certifying the replacement battery installation is a highly specialized field. Fine.

But as a recreational boater, I often wonder whether I could find batteries to match the original spec and "self-certify." That is to say, verify that I put it back together correctly and it's still waterproof. For recreational, coastal boating this is a tertiary backup at best. I already have fixed and hand-held VHF radios, cell phones, an InReach and PLB. Sure, I'd like to be sure my EPIRB works, but I don't need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to verify that.

Not quite the same as an epirb, but I just went through this with two ACR resQlink plbs. I ended up ordering batteries from solution marine at about 1/50 of the cost of having ACR do it. Followed a VERY simple video on solutions site as to how to replace the battery myself. It’s four screws and a single plug. Hard to imagine how someone could screw it up.

I ended up ordering batteries from solution marine at about 1/50 of the cost of having ACR do it.

Can you post a link to their site? Or at least their location?

I'd love to find a vendor like that!

Back
Top Bottom