Depth transducer erratic on auto range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
I replaced our airmar BV744v Triducer while the boat was out for paint. I decided to replace it mainly because it was a perfect time to and it occasionally would just go wacko and show depths way off. Well today on the way back to our slip from the boatyard it would show like 3 feet when it was actually 25 on a few brief situations.

I went to the raymarine Axiom plotter sounder screen settings and turned off the "auto range " and it seemd to fix it. However the plotter keeps going back to the auto mode....

Any suggestions ? 20211107_110625.jpg

When I first turn on my mfd, it shows 3'. I set it to manual range, scroll to 50' or so, and it then picks up the bottom. Change it back to auto and I'm good for the rest of the day. I assume it's an internal software bug because it's repeatable and not an intermittent glitch.

Try manual sensitivity setting. Lower it until the depth goes away then raise it just enough until it comes back. Sometimes when you have very soft muddy bottom the signal gets lost. The DF thinks that it went into deeper water so ranges up trying to find the bottom again. Here in SWFL, 0-30 ft range covers the whole coast out three miles except Tampa Bay and Boca Grande pass.

Try manual sensitivity setting. Lower it until the depth goes away then raise it just enough until it comes back. Sometimes when you have very soft muddy bottom the signal gets lost. The DF thinks that it went into deeper water so ranges up trying to find the bottom again. Here in SWFL, 0-30 ft range covers the whole coast out three miles except Tampa Bay and Boca Grande pass.

I found this to be true for the Humminbird I had on the Albin.
Also if you have a second depth finder on the boat like I did when I had my old Mainship, the signals can interfere with each other at certain ranges.

Back
Top Bottom