Controls to keep, move, or remove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
I am planning an electronics upgrade and that would also be the time to remove some legacy switches and move others to less valuable spots at my crowded helm. Trying to decide and would appreciate perspectives on the following.

1. The fate of the dedicated depth finders was discussed in a separate thread and I agree that keeping them in a backup or redundancy role is important, even when more sophisticated sonar will be available with the new electronics.
  2. Same with the dedicated rudder indicator. Autopilot woes led me to that and I like it even though the autopilot and its rudder angle display is back to reliable.
  3. Start, stop and ignition switch controls are fine where they are.
  4. Horn and wiper controls are also fine where they are.
  5. I never use the Cummins cruise 1&2, slow idle, sync, etc. switches, but getting rid of them is probably not possible. Should I study up on them hoping to find some value, or should they get moved, or just stay where they are?
  6. The trim tabs may or may not work. At the trawler speed we run, I have never seen a need for them. Other than testing during our survey, the trim tab switches have never been touched.
  7. Same with the battery combiner switch. Not even sure it works, but I can easily determine that.
  8. We usually control the windlass with the foot switches at the bow, but having the helm control is handy and it should stay, though perhaps somewhere less prominent.
  9. The Fireboy control is obviously important and a keeper. Guessing a place of prominence is important for that, though I hope to never use it.

Attachments

• IMG_3143.jpeg
    IMG_3143.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 12
Yes I think reading up on the Cummins switches should be a priority.

While I agree it is a lot on a compact helm it seems logical and organized to me. Unless you absolutely have to move something I would leave well enough alone if it all works.

I suspect the tabs could help level the boat in case of a strong wind on the beam or an unbalanced load. You should periodically operate them if for no other reason than help the rams remain clear and moving freely.

Battery combiner should be checked and operational. I suspect most long time boaters have killed or have had one battery fail. Beats crawling around in the eng room to rig some type of jumper.

I would probably relocate the compass, it can't or won't be happy with all the electric and electronics that close. That will give you room on top of the existing enclosure to add what ever. It's a lot easier to relocate the compass then to have to move/ rewire switches.

That is in the plans, Ka_sea_ta. How the compass improves depends on how much of the instrument pod I end up rebuilding. I'd love to see a flush mount compass in the top of the pod, but of course that won't change the impact electronics have on the compass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom