BALMAR 100amp changed to 55AMP?????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

I have a 1982 MT34 DC with a Lehman 120HP. The previous owner says the Balmar alternater on the engine and a Balmar spare have been changed to self regulating 55 Amp units from their original 100 Amp with external regulation. Can this be correct or is he blowing smoke?? I presume he took it to some shop and it was altered there.

Doesnt sound normal to me...the other way around seems to be the normal progression of things.

I have a 1982 MT34 DC with a Lehman 120HP. The previous owner says the Balmar alternater on the engine and a Balmar spare have been changed to self regulating 55 Amp units from their original 100 Amp with external regulation. Can this be correct or is he blowing smoke?? I presume he took it to some shop and it was altered there.
First, Balmar doesn't make alternators. They sell another manufacturer's alternator. That manufacturer sells it with a standard internal regulator. It's not a stretch to assume the previous owner had internal single stage regulators installed. While the alternator may still be capable of producing 100 amps to match a 100 amp load, it may only be capable of charging a battery at 55 amps.

There may be another explanation, but this seems plausible to me.

Ted

First, Balmar doesn't make alternators. They sell another manufacturer's alternator. That manufacturer sells it with a standard internal regulator. It's not a stretch to assume the previous owner had internal single stage regulators installed. While the alternator may still be capable of producing 100 amps to match a 100 amp load, it may only be capable of charging a battery at 55 amps.

There may be another explanation, but this seems plausible to me.

Ted
The Balmar 6-Series regulator, which is made in 70, 100, and 120 amp versions, has an internal "dumb" regulator but with a wiring harness that, when the sense wire for the internal regulator is not used and the sense wire in the external regulator wiring is used, then the alternator is externally regulated. In the event that the external regular fails, the alternator may quickly be changed to internal regulation, a handy but probably infrequently used feature. Perhaps this is the answer to the poster's question.

The Balmar 6-Series regulator, which is made in 70, 100, and 120 amp versions, has an internal "dumb" regulator but with a wiring harness that, when the sense wire for the internal regulator is not used and the sense wire in the external regulator wiring is used, then the alternator is externally regulated. In the event that the external regular fails, the alternator may quickly be changed to internal regulation, a handy but probably infrequently used feature. Perhaps this is the answer to the poster's question.

Yes, and since internally regulated alternators can't push much current into a battery unless it is well discharged, you will see much less amperage out of it when it is switched to internal regulation, thus perhaps the 55 amp comment and probably less than that.

David

Follow the wires. Is there an external regulator attached?

Follow the wires. Is there an external regulator attached?
There was - a Balmar . It went dead, probably because it was installed in the engine room only 12 inches from the engine. The PO said then he had the alternator "converted". There was no engine room exhaust blower either. I added one.

Geo
So, how many amps are your batteries seeing during charging? With a BMK type device the alternator's real output can be discerned under most conditions.

Geo
So, how many amps are your batteries seeing during charging? With a BMK type device the alternator's real output can be discerned under most conditions.
Hard to ascertain as there is a solar system that keeps them up

Just for the 'craic' (that means fun in Ireland NOT the chemical variety) Google
www.adverc.co.uk and read their write up about battery charging.
I've no connection other than having used one for 20+ years with no problems.
In my post 'Canal du Midi' I will be modifying my existing charging system to a twin Bosch alternator Adverc controlled system and will post photo's and wiring diagrams for you to follow.

Back
Top Bottom