Antenna Performance check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
How do I go about checking the performance of both my VHF and SSB antennas do I use an SWR meter and if so is there one meter type that will do both applications.:blush:

For a given antenna, SWR varies with frequency, which varies widely on an SSB. Most good SSB radios will give you and indication of SWR and modern ones at least will have an automatic tuner. Probably more of an issue with VHF, but because the spectrum is relatively narrow, if you are OK on one channel, you are likely OK on all. What you really need is a field strength meter. But making contact with a distant station is, in some respects, best.

I am a Amateur radio operator and have a MFJ 269 Antenna Analyzer and I can check impedance and SWR of Antennas. You want 1.1 max of 3.0 SWR. You can tell exactly where the antenna is set and if it is a wire antenna you can lengthen or cut down to get the optimum SWR.

you can lengthen or cut down to get the optimum SWR.

But only at a specific frequency, right? Each frequency "resonates" differently. Cutting will "tune" to a specific frequency, but that tuning will not be optimal at other frequencies (at least those that are not a harmonic). Fortunately, the VHF band is quite narrow. Conversely, the SSB spectrum is quite wide, so unless you are OK limited to a particular band (or better yet, frequency), the tuning will not be effective at other bands / frequencies. That is where an automatic antenna tuner works its magic (automatically tuning the antenna to achieve at least a very good SWR). I am also a HAM.

I am not a ham or radio expert, I just do a radio check with someone that is pretty far away and if it works well then I am good to go.

Both my VHF radios which operate via a splitter switch are transmitter however wherever I am it reception is reported as weak, any thoughts antenna is new, spliter is new and all fittings appear well fitted :banghead:

I don’t like splitters. I have an antenna for each radio.

I would use one radio with the antenna (no splitter) then test a radio with another boater.
I suspect that may have impedance issue caused by the splitter. you also can check your area for the automated Sea Tow radio check service.

Do NOT ever run a splitter in your antenna system. Remove the coax and splitter from the radio. Replace the coax with " rg8X " coax. Cut the cable just long enough to reach the radio and antenna. Solder on new PL259 connectors. Then check your signal with 3-4 other stations. Don't forget to buy a new antenna for the spare radio.

Last edited:
Do NOT ever run a splitter in your antenna system. Remove the coax and splitter from the radio. Replace the coax with " rg8X " coax. Cut the cable just long enough to reach the radio and antenna. Solder on new PL259 connectors. Then check your signal with 3-4 other stations. Don't forget to buy a new antenna for the spare radio.

What he said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom