Amazing radar trick for crab/lobster pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strings of pots, called "Trawls" are illegal in some states. I think Maine used to be 2 pot max,IIC. Mass lobsterman can still have 10 pot trawls I think (been away for 20 yrs). Trawls have floats on both ends. If 1 bouy is missing, go to the other end and get the other buoy,if that is missing, they grapple perpendicular to the way the trawl was set and hopefully snag the "ground line".

Last edited:
Strings of pots, called "Trawls" are illegal in some states. I think Maine used to be 2 pot max,IIC. Mass lobsterman can still have 10 pot trawls I think (been away for 20 yrs). Trawls have floats on both ends. If 1 bouy is missing, go to the other end and get the other buoy,if that is missing, they grapple perpendicular to the way the trawl was set and hopefully snag the "ground line".

It sounds like the laws are very different now. Longer trawls are common offshore.

https://mainelobstermen.org/pdf/Lobster_Gear_Report.pdf

Interested in your ideas. Will be traveling smong crab pots soon.

Robert

The solution to Maine is sharp cutters and more throttle. Fork ‘em.

Can't say I disagree. The downside being ghost traps continuing to catch the lobsters. This results in a LOT of lobsters being lost.

It may vary by state but they’re supposed to have disintegrating hatches for just such reasons.

after the 1991 Halloween storm (AKA Perfect Storm), piles of lobster trawls were washing up on beaches 30' high. Big balls of crushed traps rolling up.

It may vary by state but they’re supposed to have disintegrating hatches for just such reasons.

I hear ya, but I've read elsewhere about lots of old traps being recovered, still in functioning condition. That and following regulations isn't always a respected concept when it comes to fishing (among other things).

There's also the issue of using floating lines being an entanglement hazard for whales. Don't use floating line and the sinking kind abrades against the rocky bottom, losing the trap which is bad for both the sea life and the fisherman. Use floating lines and endanger the whales. This leads to he issue for boats seeing a marker doesn't mean you're clear of the line.

I gather the excess amount of line is due to the variable ranges of depths they want to cover, and the sea state conditions. It's a tough battle for the fishing industry, no doubt. But the cost over-fishing 'for free' is finally coming due.

federal waters rather than Maine state waters have big trawls.

I don't disagree. I never did it. I don't know anything more about it than what I read in documents like that.

Ken

The solution to Maine is sharp cutters and more throttle. Fork ‘em.

Yea, it’s only how they make their living. Screw ‘em.

While I assume you were just going for the humor, sometimes it’s not hard to figure out why they feel like they do toward us pleasure boaters. Just sayin’.

Yea, it’s only how they make their living. Screw ‘em.

While I assume you were just going for the humor, sometimes it’s not hard to figure out why they feel like they do toward us pleasure boaters. Just sayin’.

Sometimes they earn that attitude by plopping traps in the middle of a marked channel.

Back
Top Bottom