AC panel changes, balancing the load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
New to me on a 1990 Carver/Californian 48 MY. Looking at the AC panel makes me wonder who the electrical engineer that did the layout on this panel. I've got a 50 Amp 125/250v system. Basically 2-50amp 120v Lines. No 240 on the boat. I have 4 A/C units on one line(??) along with the 30amp electric Range.

I've already done a review and made changes to match wire size with breaker size and load. What a job !. Found and fixed several serious problems.

Now I'd like to do some basic changes like putting 2 A/C units on each line. Isn't that a safer thing to do?.

Is it normal to make changes to balance this load across the 2 50amp lines?

The Brockerts

I'm in the same situation. I've got 3 phase on mine and it's not unusual to see 30a on one leg and <5a on the other two at the same time.

It's one of the reasons I'm converting to only 230v single phase. (Note: I'm Australian not US so we don't have split phase here).

Good luck.

Yes I agree, the original electrical installer was an idiot. It is always best to balance the loads between each leg, so your approach sounds fine. FWIW the term is leg or phase, not line.

David

I had a guy down the road ask me for help on his 36’ Carver last year. The electrical panel was improperly wired. He has 2 30 amp inlets but only 1 main 30 amp breaker. The other inlet is run directly to the bus bar without any over current protection. And it obviously was original from the factory. I showed him how to correct the install. Also all the neutrals were to one bus bar. He said that he couldn’t plug into the local state owned marina. It would trip the GFI breaker on the dock. The comingled neutrals would cause that. Very poor job done by Carver. Also the panel was a huge PITA to work on due to poor mechanical layout. That wasn’t illegal but just very poor planning. The engineer must have never tried to work on an electrical panel...

Back
Top Bottom