Perkins t6.354 fuel pump issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktan4156

Vessel Name
Sea hawk
Vessel Make
Californian boat company
Hi good day it's me again. So I own a 1979 Californian trawler and I have been having some issues with the Perkins t6.354 in it. I had a fuel leak which resulted in me running out of fuel while on a fishing voyage. Upon getting back shore I took the lines off the fuel filter bracket that lead to the injector pump and pressure tested them to make sure they were not leaking. Turns out they were leaking around the threads for the nut. I put them back on and the got the fuel stopped. Tried to start back up the engine but it had alot of air in the system. Finally got it started but at first it would run for 30 seconds roughly idling then shut down. After that I managed to get it running with out shut down on its own now,but since then it's not idling down at all. It starts at a high rpm and stays there. I have bleeded the injectors, didn't help, cleaned the guaze filter in the lift pump, change both the racor and secondary filter and still nothing. I am wondering if I need to have the pump rebuilt cause when I try to increase the rpm nothing happens even though the throttle is full out. Any suggestions???

There is a lot to try to sort out here so to make it easy I will break it down into chunks.

1- I had a fuel leak which resulted in me running out of fuel while on a fishing voyage.

2- Upon getting back shore I took the lines off the fuel filter bracket that lead to the injector pump and pressure tested them to make sure they were not leaking.

3- Turns out they were leaking around the threads for the nut. I put them back on and the got the fuel stopped.

4- Tried to start back up the engine but it had alot of air in the system.

5- Finally got it started but at first it would run for 30 seconds roughly idling then shut down.

6- After that I managed to get it running with out shut down on its own now, but since then it's not idling down at all.

7- It starts at a high rpm and stays there.
8- I have bleeded the injectors, didn't help, cleaned the guaze filter in the lift pump, change both the racor and secondary filter and still nothing.

9- I am wondering if I need to have the pump rebuilt cause when I try to increase the rpm nothing happens even though the throttle is full out.

10- Any suggestions???

1 Everything was running fine but there was a fuel leak? The engine stopped on its own or you stopped it? Did the tank run out of fuel?
2- Did the engine restart or were you towed in?
3- Which nut? At any point did you turn off the fuel tank outlet valves?
4- Normal any time the fuel system is opened/breached.
5- Normal if there is still trapped air or the fuel supply not working as in valve closed or fuel lift pump kaput.
6- Throttle cable connected properly? Does the cable move the throttle lever on the injection pump? Verify proper response with engine off.

7- Acting like cable is not connected. Very strange behavior from a fuel leak.
8- What do you mean by nothing? Do you mean it still starts and runs at high idle speed after changing filters and bleed? How high?

9- See #6

The engine was running perfectly fine then it started idling up and down then closed off for itself. Checked the fuel tank it was dry. The nuts I was talking about is next to the secondary fuel filter and the lines go to the top and bottom of the fuel injector pump from the filter. The boat has two engines so I used the other one to get back to the dock. The cable is working fine its not broken or anything jus means the pump would not respond when the lever is being raised. And it's idling at a higher than normal rpm. Which it never did before

Before spending a grand+ on a rebuilt injection pump, I would disconnect the throttle cable at the injection pump and try running in neutral using the throttle by hand.

Everything here is to be expected...except the lack of throttle response and rough idle.

First, check the fuel valves, then check that the shutdown solenoid is relasing fully vs partially constraining fuel, next do as High Wire suggest and disconnect the cable and test by directly adjusting the throttle arm on the pump.

Lastly, if you changed the secondary (on motor) fuel filter, make sure you put the new gasket into the filter housing above the fuel filter, not in the groove on the filter...it'll fit either place, but if put into the filter will block fuel flow.

Last edited:
Also, what you are describing isnt a typical failure mode, or at least initial failure mode, on that pump.

More typical complaints would be external leaks or failures that mimic injector failures....unusual amounts of white smoke, excessive fuel slicking on water, unsteady or rough idle, hard starts, one or more injectors not firing right, etc.

Anything is possible, it could be the pump, but I'm betting something else got disturbed during thr work.

Thanks for the suggestions guy. Apparently some air was still trapped in the pump. I bleed the pump once more and it started working fine.

Thanks for the suggestions guy. Apparently some air was still trapped in the pump. I bleed the pump once more and it started working fine.
Good to hear. Take it out and run the snot out of it for an hour. You will be happier knowing without question that the gremlin is dead.

When a diesel is run out of fuel to the point that the engine stops it is never a one step resolution. Lets just assume there are 8 steps to get the air out of the lines. You do all eight and it still will not start. Step two is to repeat all eight steps. If it still won't start, unfortunately you need to repeat all eight steps a third time.

By now it really should be running, maybe roughly but running none the less. You should not have to repeat all eight steps, probably just the three or so steps closer to the engine like the injector pump and injector lines.

Its a multi step, multi point challenge.

pete

Back
Top Bottom