Vancouver Island Circumnavigation - Summer 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This week's project was a long overdue update to the lighting/electrical situation in the quarter berth.

I added a couple of pieces of trim to cover up all the holes in the bulkhead from the old lights, and then I built little boxes to house two USB sockets. What's great about having USB sockets instead of lamps is that you can use them for lights, fans, and for charging devices (and who knows what else).

I'm not a carpenter by any means and I have limited tools, but it came out pretty well (just don't look too closely!)

k3BIHjr.jpg

NKvsfVw.jpg

Some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: also received the new fridge/freezer and it's damaged. The hinges for the door retaining clips dug into the bottom edge of the freezer drawer and the top edge of the fridge drawer. Also the freezer drawer does not operate smoothly at all. It gets hung up on the rails and the basket that sits in the freezer gets caught inside when you open the drawer. Very strange. Probably going to have to send it back.

Did you figure out the door slider problem?

I know this is late but just saw your post.

We have what looks to be the same units. With ours, if the doors aren’t on the sliders correctly, they act just like you’re showing. Pull the drawers all the way off and try installing them again, making sure to get a good fit on the rollers/sliders.

Did you figure out the door slider problem?

I know this is late but just saw your post.

We have what looks to be the same units. With ours, if the doors aren’t on the sliders correctly, they act just like you’re showing. Pull the drawers all the way off and try installing them again, making sure to get a good fit on the rollers/sliders.

Everything appears to be aligned and engaged. Tried several times with no improvement.

Port side all cleaned up and ready for screw-hole filling. Problem is it's too cold for the epoxy and gelcoat to cure, so I'll just continue with prepping the deck.

HIXs4LL.jpg
Use Cold cure epoxy. Good down to 2 degrees C

Overdue update:

We're three days away from our scheduled haul-out. Most of the new Simrad electronics have now been installed: two 12" NSS EVO3 screens, an AIS transceiver, 4G radar, HS60 gyro/heading indicator, GPS receiver, and of course the NMEA 2k network. Still to come: forwardscan (depth) transducer and autopilot. I've also got the engine gauges digitized but the engine temp and oil pressure need further calibration before they're useful. I still have the analog gauges installed as well.

Yesterday we completed a major milestone which was the installation of the new arch, including new anchor, masthead, and spreader lights. I really like the way it came out, except it's got a bit of sway with it being only 1" stainless and having quite a bit of weight up high (a 64" x 14" piece of marine board with the radar). What I'm going to have to do is brace it to the adjacent 1" stainless stanchions, which is no big deal.

I'm still waiting on my Navionics SD card for the chartplotters, so, ironically, we may have to navigate by tablet on the way to the yard. Oh well.

EI5o8I4.jpg

Overdue update:

We're three days away from our scheduled haul-out. Most of the new Simrad electronics have now been installed: two 12" NSS EVO3 screens, an AIS transceiver, 4G radar, HS60 gyro/heading indicator, GPS receiver, and of course the NMEA 2k network. Still to come: forwardscan (depth) transducer and autopilot. I've also got the engine gauges digitized but the engine temp and oil pressure need further calibration before they're useful. I still have the analog gauges installed as well.

Yesterday we completed a major milestone which was the installation of the new arch, including new anchor, masthead, and spreader lights. I really like the way it came out, except it's got a bit of sway with it being only 1" stainless and having quite a bit of weight up high (a 64" x 14" piece of marine board with the radar). What I'm going to have to do is brace it to the adjacent 1" stainless stanchions, which is no big deal.

I'm still waiting on my Navionics SD card for the chartplotters, so, ironically, we may have to navigate by tablet on the way to the yard. Oh well.

EI5o8I4.jpg

It looks good I am sure with a little bracing it will fix th sway

Halcyon I is looking good! We were out last week at Canoe Cove - bottom is spiffy now. Still planning for a mid May departure and then going North on the inside. Return in early September. Haven't decided about going around the island yet.

Halcyon I is looking good! We were out last week at Canoe Cove - bottom is spiffy now. Still planning for a mid May departure and then going North on the inside. Return in early September. Haven't decided about going around the island yet.

Nice. Maybe we'll see you out there.

Hope everything went good with the haulout. Give me a shout if you need anything. I do have lots of tools. also if you plan on buffing your boat I have a rotary polisher.
cheers

Hope everything went good with the haulout. Give me a shout if you need anything. I do have lots of tools. also if you plan on buffing your boat I have a rotary polisher.
cheers

All went well. We are on the hard. Standby PM.

RkvjCKN.jpg

looks nice

It'll look better with a gelcoat polish!

Also I should mention that the arch was pretty darn steady on the trip over. I was staring at it while we were dealing with wake from the pilot boat and it just shimmied a tiny bit. Probably less than 1/2 inch from side to side at worst.

I don’t understand the circumnavagation thing.

A much better trip IMO is to go up to the Shearwater area and cruise there.

Perhaps cruisers cruising in the ocean have more hair on their chest.

I can understand wanting to circumnavigate Vancouver Island. If I had the time, and the crew, I’d like to do it. Part of it is simple exploration.

We like making plans that makes our stomachs flutter a bit...with experience the possibilities grow. Might consider this trip one day, but would need lots of wiggle room for weather delays!

We like making plans that makes our stomachs flutter a bit...with experience the possibilities grow. Might consider this trip one day, but would need lots of wiggle room for weather delays!

Yup, just got to take your time, as we did on the way to Mexico. The outside of Vancouver Island will require 30nm runs between the sounds. No overnighters like those required around Point Conception or down the Baja.

It's a nice trip, Eric. We've done it perhaps 7 times in a 28' Albin, 36' sail and Delfin. Lots of good fishing and the ocean swell has its own special allure. It used to be that you wouldn't see any dude boats between Winter Harbor and Kyuquot, but it is pretty well traveled now. Our favorite is Barkley Sound, which is easy to reach in a long days run from Sooke and if the weather is nice, is one of the best places to cruise we have ever experienced. If you haven't made that trip your boat would do just fine, weather permitting.

Heck, do ‘em both!

That’s what we plan to do this summer.

After five days of work, we're ready to go back in the water tomorrow morning. All painted up, replaced two zincs, sanded down the flybridge in prep for paint, polished the gelcoat, and installed the Simrad Forwardscan transducer (the yard did that last one for me).

Back home tomorrow for a couple more weeks of hard labour before we start the trip!

20180507_180704.jpg

20180507_180600.jpg

20180507_132527.jpg

We had a perfect four hour trip back to our marina. All the new electronics were working well together. Even had a MARPA contact using the radar to track a sailboat that was traveling next to us. It was nice to not have to be continually glancing over to see if it was getting too close.

The forwardscan also worked great. Having a water temperature sensor is a bonus!

20180508_121416.jpg

Also we had our first catch of the season! Not sure if it's good eatin' or not. Any ideas?

20180508_114711.jpg

The tarp on the v-berth hatch is there because we're getting new lexan windows made. Also going to blast and powder coat the frames.

Last edited:
I want to apologize for abandoning this thread last year. Life got in the way a little bit, but the trip was completed and I documented the entire thing via updates to friends and family over SSB/Sailmail. I'm now going to post those updates along with pictures that we took along the way, so standby...

This is a pic I took after the helm chairs were installed. I built the platforms out of 3 layers of 1/2" marine ply and cut the sides at a 30 degree angle to make them look a little more aesthetically pleasing. I then fibreglassed them to the deck and covered them in gelcoat. I was pleased with the results, considering it was my first time working with fibreglass or gelcoat. It also allowed me to securely fasten the chairs to the deck without putting holes through the boat!

Also, half the deck (stbd side) had the kiwi grip applied at this point.

u0bmlsK.jpg

...and a present day photo of the seating we installed on the fly bridge. These are just standard pontoon seats. I never even bolted them to the deck. The vinyl wraps around underneath the armrests, and grips nicely onto the kiwi-grip! This "installation" was to be tested later on in the trip...

EtHh5WN.jpg

And now the good stuff!

Captain's Log, June 30th, 2018:

Halcyon I departed West Bay Marina on June 15th and has been slowly meandering up the inside passage. We took some time to visit the southern Gulf Islands which we had never visited before (Saturna, Galiano, and North Pender). We anchored in Otter Bay (North Pender Is) and dinghied into the marina. Maybe it was because we were early in the season, but for $10 we had access to the heated outdoor pool, gas fire pits, and WiFi. The best part was, the place was deserted; that was June 22nd.

We then spent five nights at Maple Bay Marina (near Duncan) to get a few more jobs done before proceeding further north. Eden also had some business to attend to in Victoria. We've finally finished re-painting the upper deck and it looks great (all new white Kiwi-grip).

We left Maple Bay yesterday (June 28th) but we were too late to catch slack tide at Dodd Narrows so we hunkered down in Boat Harbour for the night. Boat Harbour Marina is some swanky new (recently re-modeled) marina just south of Nanaimo. We tried to anchor just outside the marina but we were told we were on the seaplane landing strip (though we never saw one the whole time we were there). Joe, the marina manager, came out in his boat to greet us and to give us some information about the area. He also let us grab a mooring buoy for the night, free of charge, which we did.

This morning we headed north through Dodd Narrows at slack tide (around 11:20 AM). It was a massive traffic jam. About 10 boats came south through the passage while five of us waited on the south side. Another group of six or more were about to come through and I had to ask them to hold off so we could proceed - which we did. I guess the boating season is off to a busy start!

Just before we made the turn into Nanaimo, we discovered that the macerator pump was broken (for pumping the septic tank overboard), so we pulled into the pump out dock and did the dirty business there. Fortunately Nanaimo has a great marine chandlery and we were able to get a new pump at a decent price. I installed the new pump this afternoon and it's working correctly.

We had dinner at the Dinghy Dock Pub on Protection Island and now were relaxing for the evening. Tomorrow we're into Parksville (French Creek Marina) for the weekend. Looks like strong north westerlies forecasted through Monday, so we'll plan for a Tuesday morning departure, further north.

---

Present day comment: This would prove to be "the trip where sh*t kept breaking." At the first anchorage, which was Portland Island, just north of Sidney, I found out that Halcyon's engine's start battery was dead. Fortunately a friend of ours from our home marina was planning to meet up with us, so he picked one up and brought it with him. Life saver! We had a backup plan, but it was nice to get the battery replaced ASAP.

Halcyon I at Portland Island:

7XFJ2Ck.jpg

Riding the pub bus at Montague Harbour (must do!):

bq5qFy5.jpg

Maple Bay Marina:

9WWh99P.jpg

We see you! (from the Dinghy Dock Pub, Nanaimo...ish)

NE3ptQe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom