NY to FLA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike GB32

Vessel Name
Giddy II
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 32
Hello All-
My wife and I have decided that, since we're making good progress on our 'fixer upper' 32 Grand Banks; next year at this time we'll probably be ready to head south from Long Island to the Florida Keys or the Bahamas or both.
I was wondering if others could give some input as to how long we could expect the trip to take. Of course, it would all depend on how many stops one would make and for how long etc. We'd wouldn't be in any real hurry.

Just wondering how much time others might plan on for the trip.

If you don't already have reservations in FL..... you may have to just take what you can get here and there....

Mooring fields are hit or miss, Key West often has room but can be brutal on smaller vessels in NW winds.

In 2019 we did Cape May to Ft Myers in 59 days. Easy going at 8 mph taking extra time at some ports.

I'm on my 13th trip in one direction or the other. My insanity trip this Spring, was from Lake Okeechobee to Brick, NJ in 13 days at 7 knots. This Fall's trip from NYC to Fort Myers, FL will take 8 weeks. Subtract 9 days in the boatyard for annual haulout.

From NYC to Miami should be a minimum of 4 weeks and more if you're stopping to enjoy the trip.

Ted

I was wondering if others could give some input as to how long we could expect the trip to take. Of course, it would all depend on how many stops one would make and for how long etc. We'd wouldn't be in any real hurry.

Just wondering how much time others might plan on for the trip.

"Not in a hurry" is key to an enjoyable trip, I think.

Our last two trips northbound -- one in early 2020 at the beginning of Covid influences, more recently bringing our new-to-us boat north during hurricane/thunderstorm season -- have been more like forced marches. Faster speeds than we prefer (and higher fuel costs), longer days, more mileage per day. The recent trip was 18 days from Ft. Myers to Annapolis, plus 2 lay days for weather. No sightseeing, not much relaxing...

Our normal plan is much more leisurely. Review the Waterway Guide and other cruising guides, throw some darts at places that sound interesting... then stop at approx half of those places on the way down, the other half on the way back north. Short days underway, to leave time for sightseeing when you arrive places.

Then be flexible enough to add days along the way just because you like a place enough to stay for a while longer.

-Chris

Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Gives me a lot to think about.

From NYC to Miami should be a minimum of 4 weeks and more if you're stopping to enjoy the trip.

Ted

Hmm, well, I have sailed the trip in just over 8 days. This was from NYC to Key West. And yes, the winds were VERY favorable. That said, my boat at the time was 36 feet.

Made the trip several times. on a fast straight through trip plan 4 weeks on ICW.
If you want to stop and enjoy the trip 8 weeks.

Our normal plan is much more leisurely. Review the Waterway Guide and other cruising guides, throw some darts at places that sound interesting... then stop at approx half of those places on the way down, the other half on the way back north. Short days underway, to leave time for sightseeing when you arrive places.

Then be flexible enough to add days along the way just because you like a place enough to stay for a while longer.

-Chris

Wifey B: That's what we call leapfrogging. Each trip get different stops. We've made the trip from Fort Lauderdale to NYC in 7 days but for a nice, leisurely trip, I'd recommend 12 weeks. That would give you between 30 and 40 days of travel and the remainder for sightseeing and enjoyment along the way. I'd estimate 1500 nm of travel so 40 to 50 nm per day of travel. Nice leisurely pace.

One thing not to overlook is to not just use guides like Waterway Guide but use tourist guides for each locale, guides like Trip Advisor and others. :)

Bottom of Key West to Manasquan Inlet NJ in 11 days at 14 knots - avg 135 miles a day. But it was more like work early mornings and no pleasure. So I would double that estimate next time to include some down time and see some sites.

Thanks, everyone, for your time and the advice!

This is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. First thing I would ask myself is:

1) What is my average cruise speed?

2) How many hours do I plan on travelling in a given day?

3) How many many consecutive days am I willing to travel?

4) How many days would I like to spend in an typical location?

I had friends go from the NC/SC border to RI in 3 days in a 48 ft flybridge cruiser that avg. 23kts/hr.

It takes as many days as it takes.

We bought our 1977 Grand Banks 32 in Delray Beach FL, a bit north of Miami and brought her home to Annapolis MD in three, 2-week segments:

1. Delray Beach to Sanford FL (including 150 miles up the St. Johns river from Jacksonville FL) in winter (cold!).

2. Sanford FL to Myrtle Beach SC (including 150 miles back down the St. Johns river to Jacksonville to pick up the ICW again in early Spring.

3. Myrtle Beach FL to Annapolis MD in July (hot!).

We ran at a relatively slow 1650 rpm cruise and about 6.5 knots and burned 1.6 gallons per hour over the total distance.

So it was neither a rushed delivery nor a lazy cruise, but somewhere in between, and it was wonderful. The only problem came from not having a functioning generator on the third leg, when A/C would have been VERY welcome.

Kathy wrote a book describing her unique reactions to the trip, "A View Askew", which is on Amazon if you want more details about it.

torndove- I read one paragraph from the book on Amazon and got hooked.
I'm wishing I had a Kindle. Is there a print addition?
edit: I found out that I can download the Kindle app to my iPad and ordered the book.
Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
For me it's normally 24 travel days from South Florida to NYC - travelling at an average 6.3kts.

Our experience is that on an extended pleasure cruise you don't want to travel more than 5-6 hours a day; there's always maintenance to perform, and you want some time just to relax. Also, you want to spend at least two nights in the same spot every 4th-5th day. This all requires a considerable amount of advance planning, which will also give you a good idea how long the trip will take. You'll be glad you you took the time to do this.

This is a great forum! Every time I log on I am more impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of the members. I haven't posted before...just wanted to say "thank you" for all of the postings that i have enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom