Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,
I must have been thinking about the ferries. They did dock in downtown Juneau but for years have been docking (anchoring I think) at Auke Bay. Your wife looks like a happy lady in the picture heading out. I was on a cruise ship once. I flirted w a girl in Juneau, took her to see the glacier and she took me aboard her cruise ship for dinner. It was the Fair Sea. It looked like a real ship. More like the Titanic. Had magnificent teak decks and many bars. Mostly east indian food. I had to pose as a passenger. I did good.

Pic #1: Here's the Cowpachino Cafe w the red roof. Notice the building up the street w the big mural.

Pic #2: A refitted fish boat floating high in the stern w/o any load. Hull looks very Krogen-like. Has a home made Northill anchor like most Canadian fish boats. Exhaust looks a bit flimsy though.

Pic #3 Interesting homebuilt at the yacht club. Note the overboard plumbing, chafing and lines, hand rails, fwd cleat, galv pipe hand rails and running lights. Nice balanced lines. No comment on the colors.

pic #4: An interesting and well found trawler from Victoria. I'd like to read her log book. From the lower helm it looks like visibility is poor and aft it's almost nonexistent.

pic #5 Chris w a wonderful local guy that I very much would like to see again. I'd like to say who he is but I'm not sure he wants his picture plastered up here. So he'll just have to be nameless for now.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0312 copy.jpg   DSCF0323 copy.jpg   DSCF0324 copy.jpg   DSCF0329 copy.jpg   DSCF0330 copy.jpg  

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Best town in SE Alaska is Petersburg, precisely because the cruise ships can't get in there.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
According to Wikipedia: "Small cruise-ships (up to 250 passengers) and private yachts visit [Petersburg] from May through September."
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Guru

"Best town in SE Alaska is Petersburg, precisely because the cruise ships can't get in there."

Well that's the cutest town in SE of any size but you have'nt seen Point Baker, Elfin Cove, Myers Chuck, Port Alexander or Port Protection. The small boardwalk communities are the jewels of SE. Elfin Cove is largely ruined since they put in high buck lodges and ran the fishermen out.

"the cruise ships can't get in there."

That's one of the main reasons we went to Prince of Wales Island to live.

Pic #1: This is the channel between Pitt Is and Porcher Is. In the distance you can see the foot waters of the great Skeena river. Behind and around to the right is Greenville Channel. I wanted to go into Oona River on Porcher Is as they are reported to be a basic community doing a lot of boat building but it's over very shallow water and the tide was quite low.

Pic #2: These islands are in the large inland body of water on the west side of Porcher Is. The Billy Islands you see in the picture. We went through most of the islands you can see and anchored (to the right) in Billy Bay. Very good anchorage.

Pic #3: This is on the NW end of Pitt Is. I took the picture and posted it because I like the green and blue.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0331 copy.jpg   DSCF0333 copy.jpg   DSCF0332 copy.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
Guru

Pic #1: On the SW corner of Porcher Is facing Hecate Strait and the ocean. After a drive by of the indian village of Kitkatla and going through a little passage there are a few islets and nothing west but the Queen Charlotte Islands.

Pic #2 We are entering waters seen by almost none of the boaters that go up and down the coast. It could be said that it's less populated than most or even all of SE Alaska.

Pic #3 Looking no Banks Is is on the left and McCauley Is is on the right. We are just entering Principe Channel.

Pic #4 Starting down Principe Channel. The sailboat was to be at anchor w us later in a gale.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0335 copy.JPG   DSCF0338 copy.JPG   DSCF0339 copy.JPG   DSCF0340 copy.JPG  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Sail boat - what sail boat - are me eyes that bad Eric...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
Guru

Pic #1 & 2 Coming around the south end of Anger Is.

Pic #3: Approaching the entrance to Ire Inlet. This is one of the strangest places I've been w what I think has the narrowest entrance of any. The Hemingway cruise guide thinks this place is an OK anchorage .. but I do'nt. They even anchored in the same place as we did but for different reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0346 copy.JPG   DSCF0347 copy.JPG   DSCF0343 copy.JPG  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #28
Guru

Pic #1,2 & 3 All inside Ire Inlet. The widest place was not that wide w an even smaller cove on the right. The cruise guide said the best place to anchor was beyond the big smooth rock. That was even smaller but all the rest of the inlet had a mass of return on the fish finder as if it was plugged w weed. Whatever it was it filled the inlet except the small western end beyond the big exposed rock. We anchored there too. There was to be some wind that night so I gave out a bit more scope than I usually do in such a small place. Mistake. At 1400hrs we swung into a submerged rock where the high tide had lengthened our scope even more. A bit too much as we hit that rock. We came out of our bunks like battlestations in an old movie. It was not a little bump but more of a crash w we hit that rock. I thought in a moment that we had already high centered on a rock and fallen off to the side. But we were floating just fine. I went out in my shorts and pulled up some scope so we would'nt hit that rock again. We stood 2 hour watches till morning.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0350 copy.jpg   DSCF0352 copy.JPG   DSCF0355 copy.JPG  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
Guru

Pic #1 Anybody ever seen one of these? Tube fish, eel or what? It was swimming alongside the boat after we anchored. Weird place.

Pic #2: Sailor's warning? YES. Took this pic on my early morning watch. The gale was coming and here was the red flag. You can see the big exposed rock toward the west end of the inlet. We were swinging at anchor over the shallows to the extreme west end. The anchor would be less than half of the way to the rock. The east wind that would become a gale was just starting.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0359 copy.JPG   DSCF0361 copy.JPG  
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #30
Guru

Pic #1: We had anchored here 7 or so years ago w our Albin. Here's the entrance to Patterson Inlet (the north arm) and it's nice and wide and deep.

Pic #2: This is how we started out before the gale got really going. The Krogen ahead and to the left dragged slowly across the bay toward us. The sailboat got nervous and moved ahead. We couldn't move back as the rocks were too close so in the end we moved fwd too. Since the bay was smaller at the head where the Krogen started out the we and the sailboat were quite close during the night. The winds were the strongest I've ever experienced and w wicked loud roaring gusts. The XYZ held fast as we swung wildly back and forth. This is the 2nd gale of this strength we've weathered w an XYZ. Again we stood 2 hour watches. It was really hard to stay awake this time despite the roaring wind.

Pic #3: Here are the rocks we and eventually the Krogen had just aft of our sterns.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0362 copy.JPG   DSCF0363 copy.JPG   DSCF0364 copy.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
Guru

Pic #1: Here is where the Krogen wound up. Right where we started. And w his rode stretched out he'd be quite close to the rocks ... but not on them. Took this pic right before we left.

Pic #2: Down Principe Channel on the SW corner of Pitt Is is Mockton Inlet. A beautiful spot. The beauty and the peacefulness of this inlet was in sharp contrast to Patterson Inlet but it made me wonder what it was like here the night before. Quite a number of anchorage possibilities here. We picked a good one just no of Roy Is. A wonderful peaceful night we had.

Pic #3: Part way up into Mockton Inlet we came across this falls. Chocking itself w the rain from the gale the night before.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0368 copy.JPG   DSCF0373 copy.JPG   DSCF0371 copy.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #32
Guru

Pic #1: Mockton Inlet.

Pic #2: At anchor looking south.

Pic #3: At anchor looking north.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0380 copy.jpg   DSCF0382 copy.jpg   DSCF0378 copy.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #33
Guru

HAHA Peter I didn't see your comment. Yea ther'e bad Peter. Actually I look at these pics full screen on my 27" Stand Alone i-Mac. One can see the sailboat clearly then. Sorry. Glad someone's watch'in.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Best town in SE Alaska is Petersburg, precisely because the cruise ships can't get in there.
I'll second that!

After a few years on AMHS boats and charter yachts in SE I can say that the cruise ships and their hordes are the greatest offence to the region since clearcutting.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
But then the tourist industry would take a big hit.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -
I've been in Ketchikan when the cruise ships are in. Might as well have been in downtown LA. It's ironic that the economy has become dependent upon the tourists, but the tourists are destroying the whole reason for going there in the first place. I lived in Hawaii for almost 30 years and saw it happen there. SE Alaska is the same thing on a smaller scale.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #37
Guru

More in Mockton Inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0384 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0385 copy 2.JPG   DSCF0386 copy 2.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #38
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Eric, no scale. How big was that thing swimming by your boat?

Strange. I have never seen the like.

Sd
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
But then the tourist industry would take a big hit.
I don't want to hijack a great thread of great photos of one of the most beautiful places on the planet but ... the cruise industry is an Alaskan parasite.

Those shops that will get hurt worst are owned by the cruise companies, they are the same shops that are cluttering up the Carribbean and everywhere else the cruise ships go. The only difference is the dock is cold and wet instead of hot and humid.

The cruise industry is like the drug trade, sure it flashes a lot of money around but it takes out much more and doesn't do the locals much good. How anyone can ride a hotel to SE and claim they have visited Alaska is beyond me.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #40
Guru

1st Pic: In the southern end of Principe Channel w the south end of Banks Is on the horizon.

2nd Pic: Looking up the so end of Greenville Channel w Gill Is to stbd.

3rd Pic: This is about where we hit the whale. Full sized Humpback right behind the blow hole .. about dead center .. we T boned him at cruising speed (6K). I was on the port side deck waiting to take a pic of another whale and I heard something to my right .. the bow. Saw the huge blow hole only a few feet ahead and "crash" we hit him at right angles. I would have fallen down had I not grabbed the life line. Chris screamed and I scrambled for the safety (relative) of the cabin. I was thinking "boy we must have really pissed him off big time and now what's he going to do w that tail? I visualized all the Moby Dick pictures I'd ever seen. He seemed to just drop down into the deep w/o making any further presence. I checked for damage .. none that I could tell. In a few minutes we saw 2 spouts off a ways. All seemed to have survived. Including Willy. This happened in McKay Reach. The other whale I "hit" we just rubbed alongside eachother as we passed. Very exciting but hardly felt it. That one rolled so it's fluke passed gracefully alongside the hull. From now on I'm not only going to not alter course to see them better (never have done that) but I'm going to go at least 1/2 speed when they are close. The whales seem to not know where ther're going any more. But the Shearwater harbormaster seemed to think the McKay Reach whale put himself in our path purposely. He thought the other whale was momy and had calfs and he was protecting them. Could be as he could not have stopped us more effectively.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0390 copy.JPG   DSCF0394 copy.JPG   DSCF0395 copy.JPG  

Tags
alaska, album, british columbia, cruise, inside passage, photo, trip, washington