Cruising on the Yang Tsé River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taiwan

I recently received emails from some close members of TF asking me to clarify history and differences between China (the People's Republic of China, capital in Beijing, so-called "China"), with the Republic of China (capital in Taipei, so-called "Taiwan",). Although in no way I am expert on the region, I will attempt to do my best to answer the question.

TAIWAN :

Taiwan is located around 300 kilometers southeast off the coast of mainland China's Fujian Province.

TAI means 'Platform' and WAN means 'Gulf'. The use of the term 'Taiwan' by the Chinese dates from the late Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
The old name for Taiwan, 'Ilha Formosa', was given by the Portuguese, and it means 'beautiful island' in their language.

In 1923, the Communists and the Kuomintang, or Nationalist Party, formed a united front. They split in 1927, for the reason government officials in China began to faction due to disputes over the country's direction. The split occurred at an ideological level, primarily between nationalism from the Kuomintang party of Chiang Kai-shek and the Chinese Communist Party of Mao Zedong.

During the Japanese occupation of Manchuria prior to World War II, the Nationalist Party Kuomintang of Chiang Kai-shek decided to compromise with the Japanese in order to eliminate the Chinese Communist Party of Mao Zedong. Chiang Kai-shek believed that only after elimination of the Chinese Communist Party of Mao Zedong could they be strong enough to reclaim the territories occupied by the Japanese.

By 1937, however, the Japanese launched a full assault on all of China, Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai-shek agreed to a second united front in 1937 to fight the Japanese to protect China. The "alliance" was strictly in name only, as the two sides were still bitter rivals, however begrudgingly came together to expel the Japanese. As I said earlier in the post # 2, it was an uneasy alliance, and during the latter part of World War II, the Americans — sometimes fitfully, sometimes with enthusiasm — tried to bolster the relationship between the Communists and the Kuomintang against the common foe.

By 1941 due to internal fighting between the two groups and supposed harassment of the Nationalist Party Kuomintang of Chiang Kai-shek's soldiers by the Chinese Communist Party of Mao Zedong, Chiang Kai-shek ordered an ambush on several thousand Chinese Communist Party soldiers, ending their "alliance".

Until the end of the Japanese occupation (after the Japanese surrender to the United States), both the Nationalist Party Kuomintang of Chiang Kai-shek and Chinese Communist Party of Mao Zedong armies operated independently and stayed out of each others' way. The Chinese Communist Party's power grew during this time as the Nationalist Party Kuomintang suffered massive casualties against the Japanese.

After the break down of negotiations of Chongqing (post # 2), the Nationalist Party Kuomintang of Chiang Kai-shek was losing support domestically and running out of options.

On December 8th 1949, as they steadily lose ground to the communist forces of Mao Zedong, Chinese Nationalist Party Kuomintang leaders depart for the island of Taiwan, Nationalist leader Chiang Kai-shek left for the island the following day where they establish their new capital in Taipei.
Mao Zedong and the Chinese Communist Party claimed victory and established the People's Republic of China with its capital in Beijing.

This action marked the beginning of the “two Chinas” scenario that left mainland China under communist control and vexed U.S. diplomacy for the next 30 years. It also signaled the effective end of the long struggle between Chinese Nationalist forces and those of the communist leader Mao Zedong, though scattered Chinese Nationalists continued sporadic combat with the Communist armies.

At the time, many observers hoped that the end of the fighting and the Chinese Nationalist decision to establish a separate government on Taiwan might make it easier for foreign governments to recognize the new communist People’s Republic of China. For the US, however, the action merely posed a troubling diplomatic problem. Many in America, including members of the so-called “China Lobby” (individuals and groups from both public and private life who tenaciously supported the Chinese Nationalist cause), called upon the administration of President Harry S. Truman to continue its support of Chiang Kai-shek’s government by withholding recognition of the communist government on the mainland.

In fact, the Truman administration’s recognition of the Nationalist government on Taiwan infuriated Mao, ending any possibility for diplomatic relations between the United States and the People’s Republic of China. In the years after 1949, the US continued its support of Taiwan, and Mao’s government continued to rail against the Nationalist regime off its coast.

When the Korean War broke out in 1950, the US, seeking to prevent the further spread of communism in Asia, sent the Seventh Fleet to patrol the Taiwan Strait and deter Communist China from invading Taiwan. US military intervention forced Mao’s government to delay its plan to invade Taiwan. At the same time, with US backing, the new Republic of China of Chiang Kai-shek's regime on Taiwan continued to hold China’s seat in the United Nations.

Aid from the US and a successful land reform program helped the new Republic of China government in Taiwan solidify its control over the island and modernize the economy.

By the 1970s, however, U.S. policymakers, desirous of opening economic relations with China and hoping to use China as a balance against Soviet power, moved toward a closer relationship with communist China of Mao Zedong.

In July 1971, amid a Sino-Soviet split, US National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger flew secretly to Beijing and met Zhou Enlai to normalize Washington-Beijing relations. On Oct. 20th during the UN General Assembly session, Kissinger was again in Beijing to arrange President Richard Nixon's visit in the spring of 1972, leaving the US' UN ambassador George (Herbert Walker) Bush to fight a lone battle to push for dual representation. George Bush pointed out the constraints the Sino-US normalization process had imposed upon the US' fight in the UN to push forward the dual representation option then the proposal of `two Chinas' gave up.
On Oct. 25, 1971, the United Nations General Assembly voted to admit the People’s Republic of China (mainland China) and to expel the Republic of China (Taiwan) with the support of France and UK.

After a visit to Beijing from US President Nixon in 1972, relations with the People's Republic of China of Mao Zedong began improving up until the point where the United States changed its recognition of "China" away from the Republic of China of Chiang Kai-shek to the People's Republic of China of Mao Zedong,

Chiang Kai-shek died in 1975 at the age of 87 from a renal failure. His son Chiang Ching-kuo led Taiwan through a period of political, diplomatic and economic transition and rapid economic growth.

Mao Zedong began to make less frequent appearances. He also began to suffer the debilitating effects of Parkinson’s disease. He died in 1976 at the age of 82, still holding the position of Chairman of the Chinese Communist Party. After his death, Deng Xiaoping emerged as China’s leader. Today, Mao’s embalmed remains are housed in a mausoleum in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square. If you go to Beijing, don't miss Chairman Mao Memorial Hall (Maozhuxi Jiniantang, Chiarman Mao's Tomb) where Mao's body lies in a crystal cabinet.

Both Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai-shek died, things were greatly facilitated (if I may say). In 1979, four years after Chiang died and three years after Mao died, the US broke off diplomatic relations with Taiwan and established full diplomatic relations with the communist People's Republic of China of Deng Xiaoping, US Congress passed Taiwan Relations Act. As relations improved, the large majority of the world followed suit.

The Republic of China in Taiwan began losing world support and lost recognition in international events, being relegated to having representation under the name "Chinese Taipei", created under a compromise between both sides.

In 1984, Deng Xiaoping proposed 'One country, Two systems' solution for settling problems of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, adopted by the National People's Congress in Beijing.
Hong Kong and Macau was returned to Chinese rule in 1997. About Taiwan, Beijing has put more emphasis on ‘One country’ than ‘Two systems', therefore China’s ‘One Country, Two Systems’ Experiment failed with Taiwan.

Is Taiwan part of China or not ?
As any local will tell you, Chinese history and China as a nation has existed for over five thousand years. It is impossible to ignore the subtle cultural and historical influence upon the current political situation.

At present, the nation of "China" is represented by two separate authorities while each government claims sovereignty over the whole of "China" :
- The People's Republic of China, which has control over mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau (commonly referred to as just "China").
- The Republic of China which has control over Taiwan island, the Penghu archipelago, and minor islands Kinmen and Matsu, (commonly referred to as "Taiwan").

So, back to the question of whether Taiwan is part of China or not ? Taiwan is part of its own definition of China under the Republic of China with Taipei as its capital, and not part of China under the definition of the People's Republic of China with Beijing as its capital.

Does this mean Taiwan is independent ?
Yes and no. The government operating on Taiwan is a self-sustaining, fully functional, democratically-elected government independent from Beijing, with its own economy, currency, etc. therefore the answer is Yes. On the other hand however, Taiwan lost its seat at the UN, has been barred from participating in World Health Organization activities, lost recognition in international events. The Taiwan's most recent request for admission was turned down in 2007, therefore the answer is No. Although I have traveled twice in Taiwan, whether or not Taiwan is an independent "country" is a very large grey area which cannot possibly be covered here.

What is most important for visitors to understand is that visiting Taiwan from a legal and visa standpoint is that it is different from mainland China. Laws are different, visa regulations are different, customs regulations are different, and Taiwan uses its own currency, the New Taiwan Dollar (NT$) and not renminbi of People's Republic of China or Hong Kong Dollar.

Greetings,
Indeed Xian. Not my picture but we did visit the site. Mind boggling.

Xian_guerreros_terracota_general.JPG

Terra Cotta warriors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

Mme P. mentions Chinese food. I asked a LOT of people if they'd ever heard of chicken chow mein, general tso's chicken etc...the typical North American "Chinese Food" menu items. Not one had ever heard about these...ahem...dishes. The ONLY thing we ate that even resembled NA Chinese food was at a small restaurant just outside the above site. Pomegranate chicken closely resembled sweet and sour chicken balls. The remainder, over a period of a month, was CHINESE food! Excellent!

If I may add, just having seen Mme. P's post above...Hong Kong was a British protectorate/colony/base starting in 1842 (ending in 1997). The reason the British were able to occupy HK was war reparations from China due to the Opium wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Opium_War

Last edited:
Greetings,
Indeed Xian. Not my picture but we did visit the site. Mind boggling.

Terra Cotta warriors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

Mme P. mentions Chinese food. I asked a LOT of people if they'd ever heard of chicken chow mein, general tso's chicken etc...the typical North American "Chinese Food" menu items. Not one had ever heard about these...ahem...dishes. The ONLY thing we ate that even resembled NA Chinese food was at a small restaurant just outside the above site. Pomegranate chicken closely resembled sweet and sour chicken balls. The remainder, over a period of a month, was CHINESE food! Excellent!

If I may add, just having seen Mme. P's post above...Hong Kong was a British protectorate/colony/base starting in 1842 (ending in 1997). The reason the British were able to occupy HK was war reparations from China due to the Opium wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Opium_War

Monsieur RT F,
Definitely 'Mind boggling', fascinating ! I was moved.

The Terracotta Army was painstakingly crafted to honour the man who created China itself: Qin Shi Huang. Born in 260 BC and now remembered as the First Emperor.

As well as being responsible for the Terracotta Army, Qin Shi Huang was behind some of the original stretches of the Great Wall of China.

Interesting about chicken chow mein. Really one month of local Chinese food ? I envy you !

Attachments

• Terracota Army.jpg
    Terracota Army.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 57
Years ago (early 80s) when I was selling sugar cane equipment we were doing business in Taiwan. The customer, Taiwan Sugar Corporation, was a government agency. Somehow a letter we addressed to them wound up with the address ending as Taiwan PRC instead of Taiwan ROC. We soon received a letter reminding us in no uncertain terms that Taiwan was NOT a part of the Peoples Republic of China! Anyway they remained good customers, I made several trips there and always enjoyed it, the people were always very friendly, and the food, excellent!
Sadly I never did get to visit the PRC

Last edited:
Ah, food in China. I made numerous business trips to various parts of China in the late 1990's and early 2000's. With regard to food, particularly in the rural areas, I simply ate whatever was provided. And that was determined by negotiation. The leader of our group was an elderly and wealthy Chinese Malaysian from Sarawak, Malaysia. When the the local Chinese government people we were with said 'this is the best place to eat in this town' then our Mr Ling would interrogate the restaurant owner on which ingredients he had at hand that were the most fresh. Then there would be a process of negotiation as to how they would be cooked. The result? Always delicious!

Ah, food in China. I made numerous business trips to various parts of China in the late 1990's and early 2000's. With regard to food, particularly in the rural areas, I simply ate whatever was provided. And that was determined by negotiation. The leader of our group was an elderly and wealthy Chinese Malaysian from Sarawak, Malaysia. When the the local Chinese government people we were with said 'this is the best place to eat in this town' then our Mr Ling would interrogate the restaurant owner on which ingredients he had at hand that were the most fresh. Then there would be a process of negotiation as to how they would be cooked. The result? Always delicious!

Very nice !

When you come to China, be adventurous with food. Leave restaurants sometimes and try street food, keep experimenting with different dishes, one of my great joys.

The BIGGEST supermoon for 68 years in the skies above France tonight (Monday) :
An unusually large and bright moon will adorn the night sky tonight,the closest "Supermoon" to Earth in 68 years.

I should also like to take this opportunity to speak about the importance of moon in Chinese culture.

On the 15th of the lunar calendar, each month, the moon is at its roundest and brightest, symbolizing togetherness and reunion in Chinese culture. Families get together to express their familial love by eating dinner together, appreciating the moon, eating mooncakes, etc.

The harvest moon of the year is held on the 15th day of the eighth month of the Chinese calendar, which is in September or early October in the Gregorian calendar. traditionally believed to be the brightest of the year.

It is traditionally the time rice is supposed to mature and be harvested. So people celebrate the harvest and worship their gods to show their gratitude, this special time of the year is so-called 'Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival'.

One year I was in Beijing by chance at the exact time of Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival where I was offered the Harvest Moon Cake as gift. I have no idea what the density of the moon is, but I can clearly state that the density of Harvest Moon Cake is very high !

A few day later was Chinese National Day, which is celebrated on October 1st every year to commemorate the founding of People’s Republic of China. On that day, lots of large-scaled activities are held nationwide. Besides, the 7-day holiday from Oct. 1st to 7th is called "Golden Week”, during which more and more Chinese people go traveling around the country.

For this event, the entire Tiananmen Square is decorated.

Pics :
- The harvest (& so heavy) Moon Cake.
- Tiananmen Square on 1st October, Chinese National Day.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Dsc06706.jpg
    Dsc06706.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Dsc06719.jpg
    Dsc06719.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Img_5165.jpg
    Img_5165.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Img_5170.jpg
    Img_5170.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Img_5155.jpg
    Img_5155.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Leaving Chongqing at night.

I wanted to sail on a small ship owned by a governmental company for an immersed Chinese experience. All passengers and crew were Chinese from mainland China, I was the only Caucasian aboard, everyone spoke only Chinese, means no one spoke English except Miss Xiao my accompanier.

The Chinese lady responsible for the passengers settled us in the cabin next to hers for security also, I guess, to watch us. The two of us were in a compact cabin for up to four persons.

Attachments

• Dsc01661.jpg
    Dsc01661.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Dsc01666.jpg
    Dsc01666.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Dsc01723.jpg
    Dsc01723.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Dsc01772.jpg
    Dsc01772.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Dsc01773.jpg
    Dsc01773.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Dsc01781.jpg
    Dsc01781.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Dsc02018.jpg
    Dsc02018.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Dsc02456.jpg
    Dsc02456.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Dsc01658.jpg
    Dsc01658.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 45
First stop where we had to wait until the departure of two bigger ships.

Floating barges to disembark.

Familiar fog in this area of Yang Tsé.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 57
Greetings,
Mme. P. Wonderful pictures but I think the haze that we experienced throughout our trip was not fog but smog...

Greetings,
Mme. P. Wonderful pictures but I think the haze that we experienced throughout our trip was not fog but smog...

Monsieur RT F

The only smog we experienced smelled so good ! :)

Attachments

• Dsc01730.jpg
    Dsc01730.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 51
The Yang tsé is the world's third longest river, ranking behind the Nile and the Amazon rivers.

The Western name "Yang tsé" comes from the stretch of the river from Yangzhou to Zhenjiang, called the Yangzi in Chinese. This was the name first heard by Western missionaries and traders, particularly by the British.

For thousands of years, the Yang tsé River has sustained Chinese civilization. Four hundred million people and its 700 tributaries - hundred million more than the population of the US, at least the population of Europe - depend on the Yang tsé for freshwater. The Yang tsé is also the China’s principal waterway, and its rushing waters are electrifying the world’s fastest-growing economy.

From its source on the Tibetan Plateau, the Yang tsé descends rapidly, stretching almost 4,000 miles (2,485 mi) - about the same as the Mississippi - as it surges through mountain valleys, cuts through limestone gorges and winds past lowlands to empty into the ocean at the port of Shanghai.

By volume of water discharged, at over 30,000 cubic meters a second, roughly double the Mississippi or Mekong, three times the Saint Lawrence, four times the Danube, and more than ten times smaller streams like the Rhine or Nile.

China now has over 140,000 kilometers (86,992 mi) of navigable inland waterway. With the development of railways, highways and air transportation, the utility of China’s waterway for passenger transportation has diminished, they are now mostly used for freightage or sightseeing purposes.
3,000 ton inland ships can navigate the Yang tsé section from Chongqing to Yichang (my journey). But from Nanjing to Yang Tsé river estuary, the 432 km long channel can provide navigation for up to 50,000 ton maritime ships.

I had chosen to travel from Chongqing to Yichang, which takes 5 days and 4 nights (with this boat). The distance between the highlight part of Yang tsé River, Chongqing to Yichang, is about 320 km (200 mi), it passes through the spectacular Yang tsé Gorges, which are noted for their natural beauty but are dangerous to sailing. The river's elevation drops from above 192 m (630 ft) in Chongqing at an altitude of 40 m (130 ft) in Yichang.

Spring and autumn are the best season for taking a Yang tsé River trip; more specifically, April to June, and September to November are when the weather is cool and comfortable. Rainfall is particularly low in September and November. These months are the high seasons.

It is no accident that the Yangtse catchment area is the food-bowl of China; it belongs to the humid, monsoon climate of the subtropics, with abundant rainfall throughout the year, the temperatures will average between 86 F in July and 50 F in January, with a chance of extremes of 95 F and 30 F.

During summer, between July and September, thunderstorms are frequent and it is hot and humid. The winters are always short and cold, but winter might be considered a good cruising season despite the cold weather. In winter, prices for Yang tsé River cruises are at their lowest, often only half of that in the high season.

While you are visiting China, you may also want to make sure that you are able to use your cellphone, should you experience an emergency or just eager to keep in touch with your friends, family and business. Instead of using my French mobile phone which roaming arrangement and the rates are very much expensive, I bought a local SIM card from China mobile for voice and 3G data, the largest mobile service provider in China. With a local cellphone #, you can also make cheap local calls to local landlines and cellphones, like to call Chinese friends and let them tell the driver where to take you. This way I was able to get access into Internet by my laptop computer as well, using my iPhone with Chinese number as an access point.

As I said previously, I merely wanted to use the boat as a means of real Chinese experience from Chongqing to Yichang and not what foreign tourists do. Aboard, no Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party or Dinner, no Captain's Farewell Dinner, no night club, no emergency / safety training or meeting. No on board activities but a wonderful restaurant and a great hairdresser and massage salon ! , no medical service.

Even if the boat was small - only 4 or 5 crews - I had no idea who was the Captain in the whole time I was aboard, I never met him. When on the second day I forced the door to come into the pilot house, I was 'kindly' invited to leave (pic attached).

On the boat, at the beginning most of Chinese people were very shy, they did not maintain eye contact easily, they did not have handshake, I had to be very flexible in my approach. I think (I am sure !) the Chinese lady responsible of the passengers (I was never able to know her name) gave very strict instructions to other passengers concerning my "comfort" and security, and made them to obey about that. I am sure that most of the people have interpreted this rule as no allowing them to talk to me... Anyway, to be the only foreign person aboard did kindly borne out of people's cautious and shyness of me. Once I was considered as a "friend" (on the two last days of the journey), I found that some men and women did like to hold my hand even to walk in the street !

To be only the two of us (Miss Xiao and me) in a cabin for up to four persons was the subject of perpetual surprise for other passengers which perhaps did tend them as well to keep a distance with us, but the distance became closer as a the journey progressed.

Chinese people have VERY high respect for foreigners. They do not feel comfortable to call you by your first name. When they are willing to do that, you know you have broken the barrier, and they consider you as one of them.

Chinese tend not use a lot of hand gestures or facial expressions when they speak. Some Chinese people aboard told me that they like European presentations, as they tend to be more interactive then my view is that use your body language effectively to help deliver what you intend to do, and smile, smile and smile all the time even and especially if you encounter any problems. In China, 'Language is a barrier for foreigners', a Great Wall, but with a smile you can be sure there's always a solution to your problems ! (It is the same thing in France :) )

A foreigner may be surprised by the way in which his or her responses elicit laughter. This is sometimes the case at first meetings. In this case, the laughter may simply be the result of nervousness or excitement at first contact.

So a good topic of conversation for a first meeting (at the inboard restaurant or on the sun deck) was "What part of China are you from ?" (translated by my accompanier Miss Xiao, once again everyone spoke only Chinese on the boat). The "hometown" is often a topic of pride and it’s also an important way for a non-local to understand the diversity and interests of people from China. The family is a very important social unit in China, then it’s better not to ask a question like "Are you married?" since marital status can be somewhat sensitive for the person being asked (although I have been asked, and in that case asking such a question would be no problem). Food was always a good topic of discussion...

About food, the breakfast, lunch, dinner were served in family-style in the small and simple but great inboard restaurant where delicious and delectable Chinese cuisine was offered, characterized by fine selections of fresh ingredients, a wide range of flavors and dishes, where the two Chinese waiters kept on persuading me to having more food, tea or Chinese beer, all the times to show their enthusiasm and hospitality. An unforgettable wonderful experience.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 50
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Dsc02004.jpg
    Dsc02004.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Dsc02096.jpg
    Dsc02096.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Dsc01751.jpg
    Dsc01751.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Fengdu Ghost City :

Located on the northern bank of the Yang tsé River in the southeast of Sichuan basin, Fengdu is an ancient city with a time-honored history, known as the 'Ghost City' to most Chinese people. According to superstitious legend, the dead come to Fengdu Ghost City and the devils go to hell. Since Tang Dynasty, forty-eight temples have been built in the place, such as the Hall of the Jade Emperor. All of the temples there look quite magnificent while statues are extremely lifelike.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 52
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 51
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 53
At every stop, delicious local food cooked on-site and drink can be purchased on the main barge.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 49
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 51
Yang tsé River, which the Chinese government is referring to as the Golden Waterway, links 11 provinces from the East China Sea to Sichuan, one of the most industrialized provinces in western China.

It is by far the world’s busiest inland waterway for freight transport. Every year, more than 1.6 billion metric tons of goods passed through Yangtze River, - three times as much cargo as the Mississippi River and five times as much as the Rhine - representing 40 percent of the total inland waterborne cargo traffic and about 5 percent of all domestic goods transport.

The Yangt tsé River 'artery' plays a pivotal part in the merchant shipping of iron ores, thermal coals, and minerals, it is an important engine of the coastal economies along its banks.

Pictures :
- One of the new relocated cities along the Yang tsé, constructed to replace the original site now under water.

- Restoring livelihoods includes rebuilding the physical infrastructure as well as large bridges, new road and rail networks.

- Cargo ships & ferry along our way.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Traveling across the river with Chinese people states that I should visit their historic and sacred places, their communities of national importance. Then I wanted to discover the area, if it's possible, far from some foreigner touristic places. A soon as the ship arrives in Qutang gorge, I decided to walk up to a hill at night with my accompanier to visit one of the many historical places which have been relocated, the original site was now under water.

And always the delicious street food !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 52
Early in the morning, stop in a new city built in anticipation of the area's future needs, located in a place sheltered from the westerly wind.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 48
Then back to the ship to sail a part of the river which snakes through anarrow deep gorge with high granite banks.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 40
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 49
Pic # 4 : Chinese "coast guard".

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 48
Pic # 6 : Buoy

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 39
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 51
Arrival in the relocated city of Wushan.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 40
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 45
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 47
Quick stop in Wushan.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 43
This is all so great. Personally I can't thank you enough for posting this. :thumb:

By the way, who's the pretty lady in red? ;)

Pilou, Thanks for posting this. What a great trip, I have great memories of street food in a few Far East cities. Unfortunately I was never able to travel inland very far and a Yang-tse trip has been on my bucket list for years. You are very fortunate to have had the opportunities to travel to same great locations. I really enjoy your commentary and insight behind the photographs.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

This is all so great. Personally I can't thank you enough for posting this.

By the way, who's the pretty lady in red?

Pilou, Thanks for posting this. What a great trip, I have great memories of street food in a few Far East cities. Unfortunately I was never able to travel inland very far and a Yang-tse trip has been on my bucket list for years. You are very fortunate to have had the opportunities to travel to same great locations. I really enjoy your commentary and insight behind the photographs.

Merci beaucoup Messieurs, I sincerely thank you dear Sirs for your consideration and very nice comments which I appreciated very much, thank you as well for taking time to write, you are sweet.

I will admit that the thread has become challenging for me for the reasons I have sorted more than 1,500 pictures to find those that were more likely interesting for people of the forum to suit viewing preferences, then to resize the selection, to write in English my trip report and my opinions while seeking some excerpts for the form. Of course I myself took all the pictures of this thread.

Captain Bill, yes the Chinese Lady in red was pretty, I confirm that :). She helped me with my very basic Mandarin speaking, I learned her some French, also about France. PM me if you want her phone #, LOL ! :D

McGillicuddy, I sincerely hope you could make it someday, it was a unique experience and I'm very lucky that I went there.

In my opinion, the personal development of each individual comes from the discovery of other people. For me, a out-of country leisure trip is, first and foremost, a human and cultural adventure in helping people to learn about the others and their differences.

So, my cruise on the Yang Tsé with only Chinese passengers aboard was a great human emotional and intellectual adventure experienced through beautiful natural elements. This boat was a small place where people were living with day to day at the same beat, along with the group. This provides linkages and friendships, it creates the appropriate environment for opportunities to establish closer contacts and to acquire a better understanding of other countries' cultures, customs and lifestyles.

I was very pleased to post here about my journey, especially to share with the American members of TF my personal adventure in the hidden historic military sites of Chongqing.

It was not a big deal compared to the incredible work of Scott and Caroline "Sealife" (http://www.caribbeansealife.com), Richard "Wxx3" (http://dauntlessatsea.com), Dave and Bobbi Forsman, Pilgrim 40' owners "Liberty" (https://pilgrimliberty.wordpress.com), Windmills & wine by "Irish Rambler", The Long Way Home I & II by Eric "Nomad Willy" aboard his 30' boat (and many others here). Not only those people are experienced navigators but also authentic seafarers with generous altruistic spirit who made time to share their amazing adventures and experiences with the community.

Still 3 or 4 more posts are to come, then I will release you :) !

Don't release us to soon, please. And thank you for the travelogue.

The new record water level of almost 175 meters involves the building of new engineering structures and infrastructure systems including roads, rails and bridges, stormwater drainage systems, pumping works, water supply networks, provision for disposal of solid wastes and sewage, as well resource-development decisions, balance social, economic and environmental considerations.

These viaducts, made of steel and concrete, are two of the structures on the Lesser Three gorges which shall be compatible with the geometry of new boats and ships...

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg