The Adventures of Sylphide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave, I think we found your spider. Turns out he's just a Raft Spider, and mistook Sylphide for his ride. He's only 1.5" across, and weighs approximately .75 grams. He's currently in counseling, being traumatized by a LARGE hairy bald headed demon who he claims attempted to smash him against a lock wall with a booby. The good news: He is responding favorably to the counseling.

The bad news: He has retained an attorney and intends on pursuing damages . . . :whistling:

:hide:

I'm prepared to settle. Here, just take my wallet and stay the hell away from me and my family!

Nice video clips, Dave! Good luck on the rest of the trip!

Thanks Scott!

Also, since my mobile app always shows the last picture in the thread as I scroll past, and since I don't want to look at that spider any more, I'm posting this:

Attachments

• 0d3f80c026d353b79262e21731a5be56.jpg
    0d3f80c026d353b79262e21731a5be56.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 48
Also, since my mobile app always shows the last picture in the thread as I scroll past, and since I don't want to look at that spider any more, I'm posting this:

Leartherstocking country meets flipper? ?

Leartherstocking country meets flipper? [emoji33]

Lol, nobody really knows what Leatherstocking means anyway, so it might as well be Flipperstocking.

Dave - love your videos! What's your set-up: camera, sw, music?

Dave - love your videos! What's your set-up: camera, sw, music?

Thanks! I'm a total hack, and everything I've shot has just been shoot from the hip with no planning at all. I'm using a gopro hero 5 on a wonky crooked suction cup for the time lapses. I edit them down to size with the default windows video editor, and use the music choices that come with that program. Everything else is just shot with the ol' Iphone.

Thanks! I'm a total hack, and everything I've shot has just been shoot from the hip with no planning at all. I'm using a gopro hero 5 on a wonky crooked suction cup for the time lapses. I edit them down to size with the default windows video editor, and use the music choices that come with that program. Everything else is just shot with the ol' Iphone.

An award winning photographer once told me that it wasn't a skill in taking shots that he had. He said that he took more photos than any other human being so some had to work and that he felt like he had an eye for good subjects. He talked about some of his shots of the Grand Canyon and of Big Sur. He said in both cases it took a lot of shots to get the perfect one but he knew if he could capture what he was seeing and feeling, it would be a great photo. He said he'd also learned in trying to sell to magazines what people liked. He said, going the commercial route gave him feedback that if you just went the artist route you'd wait a long time to get. He said he also learned that it wasn't the most beautiful girl who people wanted to see, but one with character or in a special situation.

Now that it's not raining, we're finally wandering out onto Oneida lake. I grabbed a few shots of the west end of Dave's home turf as we headed out of the canal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_101406.jpg
    IMG_20200903_101406.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200903_101408.jpg
    IMG_20200903_101408.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200903_101529.jpg
    IMG_20200903_101529.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200903_101725.jpg
    IMG_20200903_101725.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 39

Dave, what interval do you use for the time lapse?

An award winning photographer once told me that it wasn't a skill in taking shots that he had. He said that he took more photos than any other human being so some had to work and that he felt like he had an eye for good subjects. He talked about some of his shots of the Grand Canyon and of Big Sur. He said in both cases it took a lot of shots to get the perfect one but he knew if he could capture what he was seeing and feeling, it would be a great photo. He said he'd also learned in trying to sell to magazines what people liked. He said, going the commercial route gave him feedback that if you just went the artist route you'd wait a long time to get. He said he also learned that it wasn't the most beautiful girl who people wanted to see, but one with character or in a special situation.

When I was at Maritime College, we took a training cruise to Europe every summer. The first two, I took pictures on those disposable cameras that you could buy anywhere. I got a few good ones, lots of bad ones, and several pictures of random people's butts. Training ship etiquette dictated that that's what you were required to do when you found an unattended disposable camera lying around. You take a picture of your butt with it.

Anyhow, I eventually got a digital camera. It was a 3.1 Megapixel HP job, and I could take as many pictures as I wanted to. I could see what I shot immediately, and delete the crappy ones and try again. Through nothing more than trial and error, and sheer stubbornness alone, it would be statistically impossible to not get a few great shots. It was a revelation.

Now that it's not raining, we're finally wandering out onto Oneida lake. I grabbed a few shots of the west end of Dave's home turf as we headed out of the canal.

Welcome to God's country! lol. How's the trip going? Did you make it across to the east end of the lake, and enjoy the Chernobyl style post apocalyptic amusement park at Sylvan Beach? Sorry I missed you!

Dave, what interval do you use for the time lapse?

Ohhhh that's a good question. I think 30 seconds, but I don't have my camera with me to check. It was either 30 seconds or a minute, one of the smallest intervals. The raw footage ended up being over five minutes long most of the time, but I used the video editor to shrink it down into something more ADD friendly.

Last edited:
Welcome to God's country! lol. How's the trip going? Did you make it across to the east end of the lake, and enjoy the Chernobyl style post apocalyptic amusement park at Sylvan Beach? Sorry I missed you!

The trip is going great. We're back in Oswego now, we'll make the run back to Rochester tomorrow.

We didn't cross Oneida lake as we started exploring a day late due to rain on Wednesday (so we just sat in Brewerton that day). Crossing out and back in a day at 6.5 kts would take too long and we didn't feel like pulling up the forest of fenders and burning the fuel to cross out and back at 17 kts.

So we just explored around the West end of the lake a bit and then dropped the anchor behind Frenchman and Dunham islands (around the 11 foot mark) for a few hours for lunch and some relaxing. Then after cleaning the massive volume of salad off the anchor and chain, we headed back into the canal, topped off the fuel tanks and headed back up to Phoenix to start working our way towards home.

The trip is going great. We're back in Oswego now, we'll make the run back to Rochester tomorrow.

We didn't cross Oneida lake as we started exploring a day late due to rain on Wednesday (so we just sat in Brewerton that day). Crossing out and back in a day at 6.5 kts would take too long and we didn't feel like pulling up the forest of fenders and burning the fuel to cross out and back at 17 kts.

So we just explored around the West end of the lake a bit and then dropped the anchor behind Frenchman and Dunham islands (around the 11 foot mark) for a few hours for lunch and some relaxing. Then after cleaning the massive volume of salad off the anchor and chain, we headed back into the canal, topped off the fuel tanks and headed back up to Phoenix to start working our way towards home.

Sounds like a lovely day to me! I never did do much exploring around the west end of the lake. Maybe someday.

Sounds like a lovely day to me! I never did do much exploring around the west end of the lake. Maybe someday.

Sounds like something for next summer's trip north, assuming you'll be somewhere close-ish at some point.

Greetings adventurers. You join the action back on the shores of Oneida Lake. The original plan was for Sylphide, Steve, and I to stay at Sylvan Beach for just a couple of nights, and then start heading back east. As time went on, that plan changed. The trip had started a day late due to weather, and had been a day longer than expected. We also decided that a quick two night stay at Sylvan beach really wouldn’t be enough time to relax, or to visit everyone we wanted to, so we stretched that out a bit.

Those additions pushed Steve past the amount of time he wanted to waste with me, and honestly, neither one of us was in any big hurry to do all 22 locks again. So, Steve stayed aboard at Sylvan Beach for a few days, and returned to Albany by land yacht instead.

Sylphide’s stay at Sylvan Beach was marvelous. We had several wonderful visits from Moms, Dads, Aunts, Uncles, Grandmothers, and about 975 passersby. Every single one of those passersby wanted to know: 1. What kind of sailboat Sylphide was, 2. How do you pronounce Sylphide? or 3. What does Sylphide mean? After explaining it several hundred thousand times, and secretly wishing I’d just changed her name to Aluminum Falcon, we decided to just start making things up. Steve rather brilliantly suggested we tell people that Sylphide means ‘the back third of a worm.’ Perfect.

We spent most evenings on the back porch with excellent company, enjoying magnificent sunsets, and takeout from one of the nearby restaurants. We enjoyed a loud and boisterous gaggle of cool and interesting cars that paraded by on their way to and from the regular Thursday night car show. I’d been meaning to go to that car show for about 20 years, and it wasn’t until I moved away that I actually kinda got around to it.

We took Sylphide out for several short cruises around the harbor, and we walked around town a bit. The amusement park, which looks like a Scooby Doo ghost town in the best of times, looked extra apocalyptical being closed for Covid season.

img_0036.jpg

img_0069.jpg

Plans continued to evolve, and I realized that we really didn’t have enough time to properly make the trip that my sister and I had planned to Lake Champlain. The obvious substitute was for her to join me for the trip back to Albany. We also decided that Mom and Marc should come with us, because we like them an awful lot. It would be like the old days, when we’d all pile into the ol’ Partridge family boat and float around for a while. I was very much looking forward to it.

I spent a day turning the boat around for new guests, scraping Steve’s filth off the walls, sneaking into my empty house that’s almost sold to use the laundry machines one last time, and tending to myriad other chores. I found that Sylvan Beach wasn’t as well equipped to service the large cruising vessel as it once was. There was no diesel in the area, and the pumpout facilities were expensive, difficult to use, and not very effective. I muddled through, and the next morning, with all systems go for launch, the crew joined aboard, stowed their stuff, and we set off back east.

img_20200815_103419.jpg

img_20200815_103901a.jpg

The first day of the return trip was lovely. We tackled four locks, and a fairly leisurely 35 or so miles. The locks went smoothly, except for that one that I screwed up and got all sideways and frustrated, but the rest were like butter. The gang settled into their jobs very well, even though we hadn’t all worked a lock together since 1998.

We passed unscathed through the stretch Steve aptly dubbed ‘The Cape of No Hope,’ where we’d been bedeviled by weeds and stubborn plumbing on the westbound leg. We made it to Ilion marina on the first night, and had the entire wall to ourselves. We treated ourselves to some hot, sloppy goodness from Voss’ for dinner. We played Scrabble. I lost.

img_20200816_070716.jpg

img_20200815_190841.jpg

img_20200816_100205.jpg

Day two of this most excellent adventure started with a quick splash of diesel, and a cheerful visit to the pumpout station, which thankfully involved very little splashing. A day that begins with that can only be a great one.

The rest of the day was an extremely pleasant blur of locks, excellent scenery, bird watching, good food, and high quality time with some of my very favorite people. We made it to lock 12 before the locks closed and we could go no further. We moored to the upper lock wall, which turned out to be our favorite overnight spot of the trip. The scenery was lovely, it was very quiet, very calm, and we had it all to ourselves for the night. Aside from some distant trains that occasionally passed, all we could hear was the water pouring over the floodgates. We played Clue, and I lost.

img_20200816_184718.jpg

img_20200816_184753.jpg

img_20200817_075642.jpg

The goal for day three was to make it to Waterford. It was a lofty goal, but we got a fairly early start, and it seemed doable. After we tackled lock 12, mom and Alison constructed a monstrous feast of a breakfast, of which I ate far too much. The miles floated by, and the locks came and went. We were making good time, and all hands were in high spirits.

One of the lockmeisters along the way told us that the Waterford flight had been having troubles, and had closed for a time. It was open now, but was only running two trips in each direction per day. This meant that if we didn’t make it to the guard gate by three that afternoon, we’d have to wait until the following morning to transit. We might have been able to make it in time, but it would have been awfully close, so we decided not to rush, and settled on spending another night on the river.

Since we now had some extra time on our hands, and since we’d all been using Sylphide’s fresh water supply with reckless abandon for a few days, we decided to make a pit stop at one of the marinas along the way. I picked a marina out of a hat, but when we got there we found it so clogged up with duckweed, or some other sort of water lettuce, that I started having flashbacks to the great strainer incident of 2020.

We went to plan B, which was Crescent Boat Club. It being a private club, I wasn’t sure we’d be accepted, but we waded in to have a look anyway. The entrance was slightly confusing, and the whole place was really shallow. My depth-o-matic kept telling me I was an idiot, but we took it slow, and got in without any unintended dredging. There was a sign on the fuel dock that clearly stated that it’s services were for members only, but there were some locals there who kindly welcomed us in, even after we told them we only needed water and maybe some ice. They caught our lines, and made the awkward approach much easier. We had a nice chat while the tanks filled, Alison stalked some wildlife with her camera, and we did our best to stay cool in the blazing sun. This marina was also battling the influx of river cabbage, but they were having a much better time of it.

img_20200817_152928.jpg

Once our tanks were brimmed, and we’d made a donation to the Crescent Club’s party fund, we let go the lines and started ambling down the river again. We soon arrived at the wall above the first guard gate, only to find it full of barges and tugs and bears, oh my. We tried to find a place to shoehorn Sylphide in, but there was none. There was a wall on the opposite side of the river, but it looked to be really shallow on my charts. I remembered seeing a large sailboat docked there the last time I passed through, and since there were no other options nearby, I decided to give it a shot.

We ever so slowly nosed up to the wall, and found there was actually plenty of water. There were not plenty of things to tie up to though, and we ended up making fast to a ladder, a piece of rebar, and a bollard that was set back about 20 feet from the wall. It was enough, and we were safe. The spot wasn’t really a great one. It was near an access road for a public boat launch, and was pretty busy with passing cars, and there were lots of folks fishing off the wall. There was also a lot of garbage strewn around on the grass. Some savages had clearly brought their gas station lunches down to the river, and just thrown their disposable containers on the ground when they were done. Alison and I decided to do our good deed for the day and cleaned some of it up, which made the place feel a lot more pleasant, and allowed us to feel smug and self righteous for a while.

We had a mildly frustrating time trying to order some food from a restaurant in Waterford, but they only accepted orders through an app which didn’t recognize our location. We never did get it to work. I called the restaurant to register my annoyance, but swallowed a fly as soon as I started bitching, and had to hang up after lapsing into a violent coughing fit. That’s what I get for being a Karen. Instead, Alison and mom whipped up some absolutely stellar hot roast beef sammiches, which were way gooder than what I was going to order anyhow. We played Clue again. I lost again.

img_20200817_193738.jpg

Our final day dawned, and we got to take our time getting going. The eastbound convoy would be locked through at 1000 sharp, and we were already at the staging point. The convoy turned out to be just one other boat, so there was lots of room for everyone. The flight went smoothly, and before we knew it, we were passing Waterford.

20200818_111156.jpg

img_20200818_115243.jpg

From there, it was only a few more hours down the Hudson River to Coeymans Landing. There, we were greeted by a parade of local wildlife in the form of Hudson the swan, and Deacon Blue, my neighbor’s handsome and muscular dogbeast.

img_20200818_164837.jpg

20200818_202133.jpg

The crew helped me stand the ol’ lightning rod back up, and even took it upon themselves to spruce up the salo(o)n with some local greenery. We thoroughly enjoyed one more night together aboard Sylphide, which gave me the chance to absolutely kick everyone’s ass in one last game of Clue. It was Colonel Mustard in the library with the lead pipe.

20200818_161328.jpg

img_20200819_091107.jpg

img_20200819_092126.jpg

When I set off on this adventure, one of the things I was most anxious about was that I would see less of my friends and family. I’m very pleased to report that while I might not see them as frequently as I did before, the quality of the time we’ve spent together has been more than enough to offset the smaller number of visits. I am a very lucky man.

img_20200819_094652.jpg

I remember judiciously shooting slide film in the 70s and 80s while floating around westPac and then sending the rolls off to be developed and waiting weeks to see what came back. I probably slipped them into a projector several times since then to now. A few years back I scanned all 4,000 plus into my computer and now have all sorts of ready control. Not as vibrant as when shown through a projector, but close enough. God, would I have given a ton for the unlimited shooting now available on my lil digit Canon with its SD card - better than danged cell phone!

My face muscles are tired I smiled so much while reading that accounting and seeing the pics, Dave! I look forward to buying your first cruising book. I'll pay extra for it if you'll sign it for me and thank me for all my help in making it all possible. :hide:

A few years back I scanned all 4,000 plus into my computer and now have all sorts of ready control. Not as vibrant as when shown through a projector, but close enough. God, would I have given a ton for the unlimited shooting now available on my lil digit Canon with its SD card - better than danged cell phone!

Oh man, scanning four THOUSAND pictures must have taken a minute! Aside from bodily functions, I can't think of many things I've done four thousand times. I may have flipped light switches that many times, or mowed that many blades of grass.

My face muscles are tired I smiled so much while reading that accounting and seeing the pics, Dave! I look forward to buying your first cruising book. I'll pay extra for it if you'll sign it for me and thank me for all my help in making it all possible. :hide:

Aw thanks Al! You're entirely too kind :flowers: You'd sell just as many copies of your Corona Cruise Chronicles, I'm sure. Honestly you and the rest of this forum have been such a huge source of inspiration and support. I doubt I'd be doing what I am without y'all.

Aw thanks Al! You're entirely too kind :flowers: You'd sell just as many copies of your Corona Cruise Chronicles, I'm sure. Honestly you and the rest of this forum have been such a huge source of inspiration and support. I doubt I'd be doing what I am without y'all.

Wifey B: You're a personal victory and you are a bit of a TF victory as you shared and listened and did. You took advantage of the advice you received. However, you're an appreciative, friendly guy with family and friends who flock toward you.

I suggest all those who talk about boating alone and not needing space for others just read your stories again and see the pleasure your family and friends bring you. You say you were worried and you see them less frequently but spend more quality time. We were loaners who seldom cruise without others and enjoy going through this phase of our lives with them. I read GFC's and ASD's adventures and now even GFC's trip to move his boat and although they were crew to help him, they were friends to share the pleasure with him and clearly they had a great time together. I see the gatherings in Fort Pierce and in spite of the reputations you all now have with the local gendarmes, it's really marvelous celebrations among boating friends.

I know most of you will say 2 to sleep is the right number. I just encourage each of you to invite someone you miss from your lives, relative or friend, on a few days of your next trip. You might be surprised. Yes, you may be glad to have things back to just yourselves but you'll be glad for the time you had with them and it will have been worth it. It reminds me of grandparenting where you love the grandkids but so happy your kids take them home with them after their visit.

Ten years ago I wouldn't be saying any of this, but can't you see the smiles and laughter and joy in Dave's words? That's how he shows he's a truly skilled writer as his emotions come through and are so visible in his words. Reminds me of "I saw it on the radio."

Ten years ago hubby and I felt so self sufficient but we never were, just we had all those at work in our lives. We moved to FL alone, but then quickly enticed our neighbor to come take care of us. Our birth families are either dead or out of our lives, but our extended family is wonderful.

You're going boating in places you've been and seeing the same things again. If you had someone with you, you'd be seeing them again for the first time as you shared and saw them through the eyes of others. I remember hitting Southeast Alaska and Ketchikan and seeing my first glaciers and thinking "so freaking cool (well cold actually...lol)". But then I saw more at Glacier Bay and more further north, each time with new people who had joined us and got to see their enjoyment. I've cruised some incredible places, but nothing better than anywhere with my 6 year old niece or her best friend/cousin from here. We're so fortunate to have boats and be able to boat, but even more fortunate when we can share the experience with others.

I know I'm lecturing, but if you're not sharing your boating with others, you're missing a wonderful part of it. Sorry, but Dave's writings just inspire me. They remind me why I developed a love of reading and went to school to learn to teach it. Thanks Dave. Oh, and although a teacher, I don't read to grade technically, but I grade the message and Dave always gets an A+. :D:D:D:D:D:dance::dance::dance:

Wifey B: You're a personal victory and you are a bit of a TF victory as you shared and listened and did. You took advantage of the advice you received. However, you're an appreciative, friendly guy with family and friends who flock toward you.

I suggest all those who talk about boating alone and not needing space for others just read your stories again and see the pleasure your family and friends bring you. You say you were worried and you see them less frequently but spend more quality time. We were loaners who seldom cruise without others and enjoy going through this phase of our lives with them. I read GFC's and ASD's adventures and now even GFC's trip to move his boat and although they were crew to help him, they were friends to share the pleasure with him and clearly they had a great time together. I see the gatherings in Fort Pierce and in spite of the reputations you all now have with the local gendarmes, it's really marvelous celebrations among boating friends.

I know most of you will say 2 to sleep is the right number. I just encourage each of you to invite someone you miss from your lives, relative or friend, on a few days of your next trip. You might be surprised. Yes, you may be glad to have things back to just yourselves but you'll be glad for the time you had with them and it will have been worth it. It reminds me of grandparenting where you love the grandkids but so happy your kids take them home with them after their visit.

Ten years ago I wouldn't be saying any of this, but can't you see the smiles and laughter and joy in Dave's words? That's how he shows he's a truly skilled writer as his emotions come through and are so visible in his words. Reminds me of "I saw it on the radio."

Ten years ago hubby and I felt so self sufficient but we never were, just we had all those at work in our lives. We moved to FL alone, but then quickly enticed our neighbor to come take care of us. Our birth families are either dead or out of our lives, but our extended family is wonderful.

You're going boating in places you've been and seeing the same things again. If you had someone with you, you'd be seeing them again for the first time as you shared and saw them through the eyes of others. I remember hitting Southeast Alaska and Ketchikan and seeing my first glaciers and thinking "so freaking cool (well cold actually...lol)". But then I saw more at Glacier Bay and more further north, each time with new people who had joined us and got to see their enjoyment. I've cruised some incredible places, but nothing better than anywhere with my 6 year old niece or her best friend/cousin from here. We're so fortunate to have boats and be able to boat, but even more fortunate when we can share the experience with others.

I know I'm lecturing, but if you're not sharing your boating with others, you're missing a wonderful part of it. Sorry, but Dave's writings just inspire me. They remind me why I developed a love of reading and went to school to learn to teach it. Thanks Dave. Oh, and although a teacher, I don't read to grade technically, but I grade the message and Dave always gets an A+. :D:D:D:D:D:dance::dance::dance:

Well thank you most kindly, Ms. B! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

The number of accomodations wasn't something that played very highly on my list of 'must haves,' and I could very easily have ended up in a one stateroom boat. I'm glad I didn't, though. I've been very glad to have the extra space, and have really enjoyed having as much company as I have.

I usually find myself worried that people won't enjoy being aboard, what with the funny plumbing and relatively small quarters, and I end up over preparing folks for how weird it will be. The end result is that most find it to be more comfortable than they expected.

I'm just happy people like it. The boat, and the blog! Thanks for reading!
:thumb::smitten::D:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Everyone knows that September 6th is Jeff Foxworthy’s birthday. Of course, that’s a stupidly obvious thing to say. It’s like saying that everyone knows that the sun rises in the east, or that water is wet. It’s a truth so fundamental, so important, so basic, that it’s part of what defines us as human beings. One can be forgiven for forgetting that anything else of consequence has ever happened on that date.

In a very small and humble way though, September 6th has become important to me for another reason. It is also the day that I moved aboard Sylphide, and this whole… thing… got started.

Regular readers will know that the decision to go all-in on this harebrained scheme was definitely not an easy one for me. It’s something I’d wanted to do for as long as I’d known it was an option, but it took years to talk myself into it. Years of thought and counter-thought, of confidence and doubt. Years of thinking out loud ad nauseum to family and friends and forums and coworkers and myself and any poor bastard who stood still within 20 feet of me for more than nine seconds.

Eventually I ran out of people who would indulge my rambling fever dreams, and decided it was time to either do it, or shut up about it already. Time to **** or get off the pot, as Mother Theresa was so fond of saying.

I made the decision that I would go for it as soon as I could afford to. I put together a five year plan, and started saving aggressively. Two years later, with nowhere near enough money saved up, I found a boat that was perfect for the job. She was a one-of-a-kind metal boat from Canada with a funny name, and I was in love. I resolved to buy her, and make her my home and traveling companion.

On September 6th, 2019, I had the keys in hand and most of my junk stowed aboard. I had no idea if what I was doing was going to work. I told myself that I would try it for a year before I made any decisions about it.

As of this writing, that was just over one year ago.

And what a year it’s been. In the past twelve months, Sylphide and I have traveled over three thousand miles. We’ve visited 48 different ports and anchorages in two countries and seven states, most of which I’d never been to before. We’ve made 92 lock transits, run aground three times, and bumped into more logs than you can shake a stick at. I’ve made dozens of new friends, and spent hundreds of hours with old ones and family.

In the engine department, Chief Perkins has almost exactly five hundred new hours on the clock, and has been as faithful and reliable as a well fed Golden Retriever. Other bits of the engine room have cost me thousands of dollars, and some of my sanity.

The last year has most definitely not all been smooth sailing. There were days early on when I was overwhelmed by the scale of the changes I’d made, and was convinced that I’d made the biggest and most expensive mistake of my life. There were cold days, wet days, rough and seaskicky days, brutally hot days, and days spent in the engine room contorted and sweaty and swearing. I’ve even had literal crappy days, where my bilge was full of turds.

Boat life can be really hard.

Thankfully, those days have gotten much fewer and much farther between. I’ve gotten quite comfortable with life aboard Sylphide now. Most days are just sort of… normal. I clean, cook, and do laundry. I shop for groceries, stub my toes, and talk to neighbors. Sometimes I’m productive and get things done, and sometimes I spend hours sitting on my ass watching youtube videos. In many ways, it hasn’t been a big change at all.

There have also been some truly excellent and soul filling days. Days when I looked out at the view and felt like the luckiest jerk in the Solar system. Days when people complimented my boat, and told me how they envied what I was doing, and wished they could do the same. Days when everything came together, the sun was out and the seas were calm, and I couldn’t help but feel like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, doing exactly what I was meant be doing.

There’s something special about waking up on the only boat in a beautiful, calm anchorage, knowing that you’re part of the scenery for the folks around you. There’s just something special about traveling by boat. It somehow transforms ordinary places that you never would have bothered to visit by car, into charming and interesting destinations. It’s a little bit of magic when you tie up in a new town, with all of it’s promise and mystery laid out in front of you.

Those are the days that make the adventure. Those are the moments that make all of the trouble worthwhile.

So, with a year of experience under my belt, the question is: do I regret it? Have I made the biggest and most expensive mistake of my life?

No. Not a chance. Not even a little bit. In fact, that brings me to the next milestone. Today I closed on my house, and I feel great about that. It might have something to do with my new bank balance, but either way, it’s great. I think that even if the first year of living aboard had turned out to be a disaster, I’d still at least be glad that I gave it a try. At least I wouldn’t have been left wondering ‘what if…’ forever. I think I’d have regretted not trying a whole lot more.

So that’s it, I’m officially all-in. I’m houseless, and I’m very okay with that. Here’s hoping for another wonderful year of fabulous new places, swell new people, and excellent new Adventures with Sylphide.

Thanks for reading ❤

Always a treat.:)

Dave you are a treasure! I remember some of the early days fraught with the unknowns and sometimes incomprehensible challenges. You've survived them all and proven yourself, again to be a competent mariner and a good soul. May you continue to enjoy your blessings! Best wishes!

One of TF`s best threads! Keep em coming.

Congratulations! I wish you continued success in your new, dirt-free, environment!

Congratulations on your one year and on the sale of your house. Your adventure has been a wonder to follow. Thanks for bringing us along. Your story inspires.

Always a treat to see your posts in the inbox! We're considering doing the same. We are scheduled to close on the sale of a house 9 Oct . . . . we'll be down to only one house then. Actively searching for a boat . . . .we'll see, can't wait to join your insanity!:dance:

Always a treat.:)

Dave you are a treasure! I remember some of the early days fraught with the unknowns and sometimes incomprehensible challenges. You've survived them all and proven yourself, again to be a competent mariner and a good soul. May you continue to enjoy your blessings! Best wishes!

One of TF`s best threads! Keep em coming.

Congratulations! I wish you continued success in your new, dirt-free, environment!

Congratulations!

Congratulations on your one year and on the sale of your house. Your adventure has been a wonder to follow. Thanks for bringing us along. Your story inspires.

Always a treat to see your posts in the inbox! We're considering doing the same. We are scheduled to close on the sale of a house 9 Oct . . . . we'll be down to only one house then. Actively searching for a boat . . . .we'll see, can't wait to join your insanity!:dance:

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I really do appreciate it :flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

Greetings sports fans! We rejoin the action back on the Hudson River, in the sleepy little burg of Coeymans. I returned from a years-long hitch at work to find things just about as I left them. Hudson the sixty-pound swan was still paddling around begging for food and taking people’s thumbs off. Sylphide was still there gently tugging at her moorings, and the now familiar cast of characters were all out in friendly force. I rounded a corner, and was greeted by a chorus of ‘Haaaayy! he’s back!’ which was a wonderful and completely unexpected surprise. After spending most of the summer season there, It had really started to feel like home.

My stay would soon be drawing to a close, though. The fall foliage was in it’s full glory, and cooler evenings saw me lighting up the ol’ propane fireplace to take the edge off. Up on the hill, the storage yard was filling up with dried out boats, all huddled up in shrink wrap. In the water, my friendly dockside neighborhood was turning into a ghost town.

The only other brave inhabitant was my dock neighbor Holly. She’s a new full time liveaboard this year, who was also getting ready for her first trip south.

I spent about a week getting Sylphide and myself ready to start our second annual migration. I voted, got a haircut, and collected all the packages I’d been waiting for. I loaded up my new radar, AIS and chart plotter, as well as my shiny new Nature’s Head, all of which would be installed farther down the road. I stocked up on food and supplies, and secured everything for sea.

The fellas from the service department came down and gave my engine room some preventative love, and returned the fake plastic vomit that I keep on the sole in the salo(o)n. They’d seen it, wondered where the hell the cat was, and tried to clean it up, only to realize how hilarious it was. They borrowed it and pranked some of the other dudes in the shop for a few days. I was proud.

Before I knew it, I found myself topping off the water tanks one last time before they shut ‘er down.

It snowed.

img_3956.jpeg

img_3957.jpeg

The morning of departure was the coldest one yet. There was sea smoke on the river, and a thick rind of frost on everything else. I had clearly overstayed my welcome. It was time to go.

img_3961.jpeg

img_3962.jpeg

I let Perkins have a nice long warm up, and with Holly’s help we cast off the stiff and frozen dock lines, said our goodbyes, and I set off over the horizon. The river that greeted me was flat calm, and oily smooth. I set the cruise control at 1,800 RPMs, giving us our usual 7.5 knots, and settled in with a steaming mug of coffee.

I soon found myself passing Shady Harbor Marina. The place was deserted, with only one boat left afloat. There were a few dudes out on the docks, who looked to be working on them. One of the dudes made a big show of staring at me with his arms held wide as I slowly passed by, a good couple hundred feet from the docks.

I didn’t really understand why he was doing that, but fortunately he took the time to explain it to me over channel 16.

‘Vessel passing the Shady Harbor Marina, thank you very much for that nice wake you just left us! Y’know there’s people working on these docks! LEARN WHAT A NO WAKE ZONE IS! YOU’RE A REAL-‘

I found this perplexing. I was the only boat around, so he must have been talking to me, but what he was saying didn’t make much sense. He couldn’t possibly mean my wake… I’ve made bigger wakes in toilets.

If they were, then they were effectively admitting that their facility was dangerously weak, and obviously not up to the task of withstanding a gentle summer’s breeze, let alone the much, much larger wakes from the ships and tugs that pass the place every day.

I decided to thank them for the radio check, and got back to enjoying my coffee and audiobook. I put my feet up and admired the passing scenery.

img_3979.jpeg

img_3968.jpeg

img_3969.jpeg

img_3985.jpeg

I made good mileage that first day, thanks to an early start, and currents that were more helpful than not. I made it down to my usual spot just below the Newburgh Beacon Bridge. I’d stayed there twice before. The first time was decent, the second was miserable. The weather this time around looked to favor the decent end of that spectrum, so with fading light, I set the pick.

Most of the evening was calm and quiet. I chatted with my dad and with my old bow bitch Steve, made some dinner, and took in an episode of the Great British Baking Show. I went to bed feeling comfortable and content.

I woke up at 0330 in the morning, being rolled nearly out of my rack. I hoped that it was just the wake from a passing tug, and resolutely kept my eyes shut, but half an hour later, it had only gotten worse. I was tired, and not at all interested in getting out of bed, but it was no use. There was no way I’d be falling back asleep. I put on the kettle, and while it worked up a head of steam, I went down to the engine room to see if Perkins was up for an early start.

I lit up the nav lights, reeled in the anchor, and got underway. Within a mile, the wind died off almost completely, and never really came back. I think it’s just the shape of the mountains around that anchorage that amplify the wind. I’d officially made that mistake twice, and I don’t think I’ll stay there again.

I passed West Point in the dark, and settled in for the long haul down to New York City. I spent the miles listening to Issac’s Storm, the occasional news podcast, and pundits and talking heads yammering on about the election. I passed under the Mario Cuomo bridge, where the day before, an impromptu trump rally had taken place, stopping traffic over the middle of the river. I was glad I missed it.

Somewhere around Midtown Manhattan, a nagging heavy drizzle started, which continued until we reached our destination. We pulled into Liberty Landing marina in Jersey City around mid afternoon. By the time I’d checked in and hooked up to power and water, my 0330 start time had really caught up with me. I retired to the warm and dry cabin, and had a nap.

I ended up staying there for three days. The first two were planned, with gales in the forecast, which came as promised. I thought about making that trip into the city that I’d been hankering, but on further research, just about everything I wanted to do was closed. It didn’t matter, I was perfectly content being a homebody. The third day I decided to stay so that I could sit glued to several screens, chewing my nails down to bloody stumps, watching the election unfold. It was about all the stimulation I needed at that point.

All in all, I was happy for the change in scenery. The migration had begun, and it felt good to be moving again.

Dave,

Thanks for the post. I always enjoy your posts because you have great skill at writing. I am a just the facts kind of writer, not one to make the story enjoyable. Thanks again, keep it up. And have a great trip south.

Thanks Dave. It’s a great way to start my day as I sit here wishing I were heading south. Maybe next year. You are a very talented writer!

Back
Top Bottom