Old 02-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: brisbane
Diesel Duck Ellemaid

I think this is the largest Buehler Diesel Duck out there. It has been for sale for a while, starting at more than $1million a few year back, and now asking $500k. i have always thought this model looks really good, and would be a fantastic boat to live on and see the world!

2009 Buehler 71 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It was built in 2009 in Turkey by Asboat yacht Building Asboat Yacht Building - ?zmir / Turkey.

It's a lot of boat for the money, or does it have issues that have prevented it from being sold?

The boat only has a 150hp engine, which seems somewhat small, so not sure if performance is an issue. Hull speed should be around 11 knots, which would required around 260hp. I calculated this using Boat Speed Calculator which may be simplistic but at least gives an indication.

Also looking at the photos the dark blue hull, which looks really good in the early photos, looks somewhat faded to a much lighter blue Below is a photo of when the boat was launched.

Assuming there are no significant issues with the boat, I am thinking that with a bit of TLC this could be good buy, and if it is underpowered you could afford to repower the boat, and the engine room has more than enough space!
marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
My guess is that the "Ducks seem to be a couples boat that works well in the 38' or 46' model. Take that same model and stretch it to 70'plus and it changes the equation. Deeper draft, more expensive marina charges and the buyer pool shrinks exponentially. I don't really think its underpowered. A good buy for someone if shes seaworthy...
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I agree with SoF. If you like living on the hook and don't mind the exponential increase in associated costs it could make an outstanding boat for "someone". The problem for boats that size and above is the market for them is niche.

Forget the purchase price and cost out your annual expenses. If you can cover those with no stress and aspire to "get out there" it may be you are the market.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I agree with SoF. If you like living on the hook and don't mind the exponential increase in associated costs it could make an outstanding boat for "someone". The problem for boats that size and above is the market for them is niche.

Forget the purchase price and cost out your annual expenses. If you can cover those with no stress and aspire to "get out there" it may be you are the market.

While I like the looks of the boat and the utility that she offers, other than the PH (which is lovely), there is no view outside from the interior of the boat. This wouldn't be my choice for a boat in cooler, wetter weather for that reason.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. dh. My thoughts exactly when I reviewed the pictures. Cave-like at best. LOTS out there for $500K. Not surprising the price has dropped by half. It wouldn't surprise me if she went for substantially less although I'm not wishing ill of the owner to absorb such a hit ($$).
Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I could live with it.

Not a boat for lounging about in slippers and bath robe while enjoying the view in climate controlled indoors comfort. Perfect for accessing wildly remote locations and a comfy base camp to return to after hairy chested adventures ashore
Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Diesel Duck Ellemaid

That engine room! The masts! I like it.

Just quickly judging from some of the rust on the engine and in the bilge, I wonder about the meticulousness of the upkeep.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Guru

Nice ass as well!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Sketchy information on website. Rust showing up. Turkish built steel boat. One of a kind. No get home. $50K paint exterior job soon needed plus interior steel clean up.

All this plus more means a very tough resale. For ocean going a well tended Nordhavn 46 is cheaper and for $700K an N47 is in sight.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
Guru

Designers thoughts on this boat: Ellemaid71

...and on the design: 81' Ellemaid
Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
Guru

Quote from second link;
Quote:
The best comparison of the behavior between a boat like this and a “trawler” was told to me by my crab boat captain friend. He was plowing across the Bering Sea in a storm, the 110’ tank of a crab boat (think contemporary trawler yacht as many of them are essentially Alaskan crab boat type hulls) standing on its head and barely making headway. Way back on the horizon behind him was a speck. Pretty soon it turned into a boat. Soon after that along side and then passed one of the wonderful old Halibut schooners. The “schooners” are sort of Super Trollers. They range from maybe 60’ to 80’ or so and have dimensions very much like this boat but deeper and heavier. Bill said it was rolling and pitching, but it was maintaining speed, and it left him in its wake.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Agree it is not the boat for everyone but ar the link below to his won't be the largest duck for much longer. They are building an 80ft version

THE BEST DD 382 IN THE WORLD FOR SALE - Topic

Old 02-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle
I visited Asboat in Izmir when I was touring various shipyards. They had a couple of Ducks under construction at the time in the 44-46ft size if I recall. One was at steelwork and the other at finishing-touches. The carpentry work of the yard was excellent but I really didn't like the steel work so I didn't pursue any further.

Regarding the Duck series... you either love them or hate them... but they have a big following.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Asking price is now US$394k. Looking at the words and pics in the ad, it is a lesson in how to try and not entice potential customers to buy a boat.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #15
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Designers thoughts on this boat: Ellemaid71

...and on the design: 81' Ellemaid
Alas, there doesn't appear to be any "built boats" that are for sale. Gotta order it and wait 2 years.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle
The broker told me back in August 2018 that the price was $350k but might consider offers of low 300's. Personally I think it is perfectly powered, but one drawback is that it is a submarine inside. Worse than most sailboats. So it will cost some money to cut larger portholes into the topsides and modify the nice woodwork. Also I would lose both masts - make it a trawler not a motorsailer.

I'm waiting for the price to drop to the mid-low 200's then would seriously consider it. That is a very esoteric boat, like Idlewild, and resale will always be tough.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Guru

City: Vermont
Great pictures of all the owner's junk. It amazes me how little effort people put into presenting a boat.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
Guru

City: NC
There are some videos on the boat at YouTube,

The boat has some rust and the paint needs work The big issue to us is that the interior just not well done.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #19
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
The broker told me back in August 2018 that the price was $350k but might consider offers of low 300's. Personally I think it is perfectly powered, but one drawback is that it is a submarine inside. Worse than most sailboats. So it will cost some money to cut larger portholes into the topsides and modify the nice woodwork. Also I would lose both masts - make it a trawler not a motorsailer.

I'm waiting for the price to drop to the mid-low 200's then would seriously consider it. That is a very esoteric boat, like Idlewild, and resale will always be tough.
The boat in question is meant to cross heavy seas. The lack of portlights/portholes is to reduce the chance of one blowing out in heavy seas and sinking.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #20
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
. No get home.
That's what those masts are for.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote