Windless Replacement on a Grand Banks 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dedavis

Vessel Name
Twilight
Vessel Make
GB Classic 36
I have an Ideal Windlass with two rope Capstans and I want to switch to all chain. In looking at replacing with a Lofran’s Capstan and Gypsy model, the unit has to be mounted at the same level as the roller on the bowsprit. This will require adding a riser to mount it on. Has anyone had experience with this addition?

Without a diagram or pictures hard to advise.

Maybe Grand Banks owners have an idea but even theirs may be a little different from yours.

The Ideal is mounted directly on the deck whereas the Lofran’s has to be parallel or above the roller coming off the bowsprit. I am envisioning a stainless frame with four legs which would be bolted to the foredeck. The frame could then be boxed in with teak and the new windlass mounted on top of the new frame.

To keep things simple why not convert one gypsy to chain?

Ideal wanted over $2000 to convert to a gypsy and would require the same angle for the chain lead.

I have a 36 with a Lofrans Tigres. I will take a picture for you later today

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

WOW!! I’m impressed! That is definitely the answer, though the Lofran’s Tigres is a Horizontal model. Not sure I am talented enough to do that job myself, but it is a model to discuss with a yard. Thank you, I appreciate the help. I’ll send you a PM for a picture of yours.

My wooden GB42 had a large wooden block supporting the windlass.

I went through your area in 1972 and shot this.

Attachments

• DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Wisscasette Maine 1972.jpg
    Wisscasette Maine 1972.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Rich, I appreciate that shot-looks a little more in my level of expertise. Great shot of the old schooners-long gone now. The aroma throughout the town brought their removal.

You should have seen the enormously long threaded rods used to hold that block of wood down! They were bronze. I do like your idea of a SS table open underneath.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom