City: North Charleston, SC
No, I do not.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Would it be my boat I would have said my wife lost a bolt but no that's not from her
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #23
Guru

Mystery Solved

I went to the boat and checked the alternator. No dice. Remembering that this looked like a bolt from a macerator pump, I checked the spare macerator and Bingo, that's where it came from.

The long version:

A year or more ago, I bought a spare Jabsco macerator pump. I put the carton in a large zip lock bag and stored it under the deck near where the battery charger and combiner are located. Also in the bag was a spare GPS antenna.

A few weeks ago I needed the spare antenna but when I opened the bag, I noticed that it was wet and the macerator carton was falling apart.

I took the macerator out of the carton and took it home so I could shrink wrap it in a food saver bag. At some point between opening the bag and taking the pump home, this part must have fallen into the bilge or gotten kicked into the bilge.

It must have been over torqued at the factory because the pump has never been installed or used.

I was able to contact the factory and it appears they must have had this problem in the past because the brass rods and nuts have been replaced with stainless steel bolts. The nice lady promised to send me a set at no cost.
Attached Thumbnails
misc 006.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
The "Other Gary" wins! Probably won't go over well with the "main Gary" though.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Mystery explained, it was not from outer space after all
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great job solving the mystery, TF sleuths. Where else can you post a picture of a broken boat bolt and find the part it came from?

Heal, Love the new Surfing Manatee avatar.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Heal, Love the new Surfing Manatee avatar.
Looks like Tom Hanks trying to escape that island.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #28

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The "Other Gary" wins! Probably won't go over well with the "main Gary" though.
The Main Gary is known as Arlene and she want's nothing to do with the macerator system. My department exclusively.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 AM   #29

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
...It must have been over torqued at the factory because the pump has never been installed or used.

I was able to contact the factory and it appears they must have had this problem in the past because the brass rods and nuts have been replaced with stainless steel bolts. The nice lady promised to send me a set at no cost.
Not over torqued from what I've seen. I too have found brand new, un used macerator pumps (plural) with broken brass studs. Not broken really. Corroded through. If you compare it to the pump you will find it is corroded through right at the paper gasket between the pump halves. I suspect they treat the paper gasket with an anti-poop chemical that eats the stud. I've gone to an industrial supplier and for very little money have bought SS threaded rod the same size, cut it to length and replaced all the studs on brand new pumps before installing.

If you have one of these pumps installed on your boat and it quits pumping, chances are a stud or two have come apart. Don't ask how I know this. LOL. Easy to fix with that SS rod.

Greg S
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Not over torqued from what I've seen. I too have found brand new, un used macerator pumps (plural) with broken brass studs. Not broken really. Corroded through. If you compare it to the pump you will find it is corroded through right at the paper gasket between the pump halves. I suspect they treat the paper gasket with an anti-poop chemical that eats the stud. I've gone to an industrial supplier and for very little money have bought SS threaded rod the same size, cut it to length and replaced all the studs on brand new pumps before installing.

If you have one of these pumps installed on your boat and it quits pumping, chances are a stud or two have come apart. Don't ask how I know this. LOL. Easy to fix with that SS rod.

Greg S
The company is sending me stainless steel bolts to repair this. I should have asked for two sets. One for the working pump and one for the spare.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #31

City: North West Basin
Vessel Name: Moderation
Vessel Model: Sea Lord 35
It's an end bolt broken off a macerator pump. I would think a Jabsco. Probably the very reason they make the damn things out of brass is so they break instead of backing out.

Someone tried to change out or check an impeller and the bolt broke falling in the bilge. I've fished for a broken one myself just last year.
ksceviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #32

City: North West Basin
Vessel Name: Moderation
Vessel Model: Sea Lord 35
Oops, should have read the rest of the post before going right to quick reply. It's been answered already. I like the idea of putting stainless rods in there. I think I'll do that so I have them on hand if (OK, when) the new pump quits.
ksceviour is offline   Reply With Quote