Strip and paint bottom painting costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicksilver55

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48 MY
I'm having my new to me boat stripped to the gel coat and repainted with 2 coats of barrier paint and 2 coats of Bottomkote NT. The boat is 48 feet with a 15.5 foot beam and a 4.5 draft. The quote is $8900 to strip and paint. I never had bottom paint on my previous boats because they were always in freshwater and stored on lifts and stored out of the water for 6 or 7 months. I was a little shocked at the price. I figured I'd put it out here and see what you all think. I will be using the boat is fresh and salt water

Why are you doing that? Excess build up,loss of adhesion,osmosis....?

I am doing it because the current bottom paint is very thick and flaking. I would rather do it now and be done with it then I can maintain it from here on.

Run away.....only 2 coats of barrier coats is only acceptable by amatuer chuckleheads.... it is a mil thickness that counts.

I wouldn't trust any work that contractor offers.

I was asking a question because I have never dealt with bottom paint of any kind. We are trying to get the boat ready to go on the loop next year and I was asking a question to try to educate myself. If that makes me a chucklehead then I'm obviously asking advice from the wrong people right?

You are not the chucklehead, the pro trying to sell you that quoted job is.

Look for another company to do the job....there is a lot of info on how bottom jobs should properly be done.

Even just 2 coats of paint over a barrier coat, ablative at that and not initial color coat change signals pure amatuer work charging like professionals.

2 coats of barrier coat is not enough. You can’t put it on thick enough to get the proper thickness in 2 coats. Lots of people that do bottoms will tell you it is enough but it isn’t. They are trying to get the proce point down and get the job. You need to talk to the manufacturer of the barrier coating. Ask them how much paint is needed for your size boat. They will know and say to use, for example, 6 gallons of paint. Then you keep putting on coats until you have used up the 6 gallons. It will probably be between 4 to 6 coats depending on how thick each coat is applied. Why do a barrier coat that wont make an effective barrier to the blistering? I always ho an extra gallon or so just to make sure the barrier coat is good. The paint is fairly cheap but you do have to put on more coats. Also you need to put the next coat on at the right time. Not too early and especially not too late or else you will have to sand it before the next coat. Learn what is thumb print dry, that is when to put the next coat on. It is more work to do it right but why even bother to do it if you don’t do it right.

1985 Carver 3227...strip is $3800 and paint is $2200 with haul out/in...at CSR Marine in Des Moines, WA

That's pretty much in line with the quote I got at $185 per linear foot. I have gone back to the contractor and they will build up the barrier coat to the mil thickness required. The Interlux 2000 E barrier coat recommends 1 to 5 coats to achieve the desired mils. I am not familiar with bottom paint as I had said before so that's why I am asking so I know what to ask for with it, it seems like a lot of money to me but now that I am understand the amount of work involved maybe it's not so outrageous. The antifouling paint is going to be Interlux Boottomkote NT

Do 3 coats of NT, fist coat a different color than the next 2.

When that color starts to show, time for new coats.

Fine print from Interlux site...

Number of Coats Substrate priming before application of fairing compound: 1.
For Blister Prevention & Anti*corrosive system: 4-*5cts by roller, 2-*3cts by spray as required to reach 10 mils DFT .
For the ultimate no sand system: 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom