Sealing rub rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IH82BL8

Veteran Member
I have a leak at my rubrail on the port quarter. I’ve removed it to clean and am ready to reinstall it. I have doubts the 4200 will last indefinitely and 5200 is too permanent. Any suggestions on what sealant to use? What about Sikaflex 291? Thanks

I used 4200 and can attest that it doesn't appear to be permanent as I have some small leaks.
I havent redone anything but have wondered about using butyl caulk. I have used a couple different butyl tapes and have to say the stuff available from Compass Marine has been the best.
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

We used 3M 4000 UV on the previous boat... because it's said to better resist discoloring over time. Seemed to seal well, didn't discolor.

That boat manufacturer's original sealant between the deck/hull joint was a Bostik product... and the caulk was just some additional protection. We used 4000 for everything, mostly 'cause we couldn't source the Bostick at the time.

-Chris

I used to use 3M products for sealing things and then I tried Sika and I like it better. I use the 291 for a lot of things and it has stood up well for me. I also use butyl tape for things that are through bolted and get it from Compass Marine. Someone posted that Rod Collins at Compass Marine had a stroke but I don’t know how that will effect ordering from them. Hopefully he will get better quickly.

I sealed my vinyl rub rail many, many years ago, maybe 20+ using Life Seal (not Life Caulk) and it is still leak-free. Even the small bead I ran around the whole boat on top of the rubrail at the F/G intersection is still completely stuck to both the vinyl and F/G. You can't beat the stuff where a flexible connection with good adhesion is required.
Do a test sample?

Back
Top Bottom