Parallel to what? Which level to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneDiving

My salon/cabin/wheel house floor slopes down to the bow at 5° and all of the cabinetry, seating etc sits on leveling decks. This gives steps everywhere and a lot of wasted volume (the steps can be up to 6" in places).

Has any one rebuilt furniture to be parallel to a sloping floor rather than water level? I can understand that galley and table tops need to be level but seating, lounging areas and other miscellaneous boxes? Is this uncomfortable to sit in for extended periods?

Thanks

Horizontal is a must for extended sitting - our body is very sensitive to picking up anything that isn`t - horizontal,vertical, flat etc so even sitting on something that was only 5 degrees off would feel "odd"

I always build things to be level when the boat is at rest. Of course this means nothing is level when the boat is in motion. My reasoning for this, I use by boat 90% of the time at the dock or anchor and only 10% under power.

I always build things to be level when the boat is at rest. Of course this means nothing is level when the boat is in motion. My reasoning for this, I use by boat 90% of the time at the dock or anchor and only 10% under power.

I agree, that's how it should be. And if there's a trim change from full tanks to empty, shoot for somewhere around 60 percent, as you'll usually be closer than if you go for full or empty trim.

Level is really hard to achieve in boats.

I use a roofing square against an upright like a door frame to build to "level".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom