Painting interior Kadey-Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everything in Moderation

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dauntless 2.0
Hello. I have a 1988 Kadey-Krogen 42, Dauntless. I’m looking to paint the insides. Has anyone removed the old paint and has any suggestions on how to start? Strip or paint over? Thanks.

Let’s hope all your travels on Dauntless are akin to Richards. Dave’s advice is where to start your plan.

I repainted our interior to match original.

Used Sherman Williams, Promar.
I think the name is correct....
That is an oil based trim & cabinet paint. The flattest you can get is satin. Have them color match and put your gallon in quart cans and open one at a time.

Refinished all interior teak, then taped off what I couldn't remove.

Rolled most of it with mini foam rollers.

Filled all the holes and lightly sanded walls smooth with a palm sander hooked to my shop vac outside.

Needed two coats to cover. Could have three. Took two days to dry between coats. Last coat give it a week.

Pulled all hardware, lights, switches, etc.

Looks like new.

In a previous boat we had teak paneling all over. It was very dark and stained. I sanded it and filled it with an epoxy filler and sanded again. We wanted a light gray color so I took 1 quart of Seattle Gray Brightside and mixed in 3 quarts of white Brightside. Then I masked everything and sprayed the salon and head with an HVLP sprayer. It came out beautifully. But it didn’t have paint on it first. I used a forced air respirator.

Back
Top Bottom