Oil analysis kits and labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porchhound

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 CHB 34
Found some older posts online about this but not specific to where to get a sample kit and were to send it. End of season and I have some questions about my port engine. Anyone have a resource for how to get this done?

Blackstone is great.

Ken

Black stone ?
CAT dealers also have lab services.

Been using Blackstone labs for getting close to two decades.

Later,
Dan

Dumb question: Is there a quick test I can do to rule out (or in) fuel dilution in the oil? My genset crankcase seems a bit high, but maybe I just over-filled it at the last oil change.

I have used several labs but never Blackstone. I do believe that an oil sample sent to any of them will come back with the same numbers with perhaps some extremely irrelevant differences. They all use the same types of equipment. Having said that I recently read in another thread copies of the recommendations that accompany Blackstone reports. In the future, I will be using Blackstone and will pay their extra fee for TBN numbers.

Blackstone ever since I was a pilot and was even more interested in what kept the fan like thingy spinning around.

Blackstone use to take forever to get results, is that better today?

Blackstone use to take forever to get results, is that better today?

It varies, but normally I get 10 days to 2 weeks. I believe you can get it expedited if you suspect a problem or doing in preparation for a sale. My tests are routine, so time isn't really a factor.

Ted

Just had some tests done at Blackstone - 10 days.

Ken

I have use CAT and AMS oil for tests. AMS oil chemist was helpful when I discussed results as he was familiar with the AMS oil diesel oil and its additive package and could relate to the findings in the oil test results. I still had basically new oil after two years and 150 hrs operation.

I have been using oil kits from Napa Auto for years. Works good its report is online easy to keep track.
Don

Dumb question: Is there a quick test I can do to rule out (or in) fuel dilution in the oil? My genset crankcase seems a bit high, but maybe I just over-filled it at the last oil change.

If you've got some thick uncoated paper, some clear plastic, and/or a magic 8-Ball, there are some things you can try. Unless the results are truly profound, it is usually much easier to compare the same engine to itself over time using the same paper type, or, at the least, to compare one engine to a sibling engine using oil of the same type and age.

Start out by just looking at the oil. Does it look and feel like normal? Does it smell like normal. If it is "milky", there is a huge amount of coolant or water. If it smells like diesel, there is a huge amount of diesel.

If you look at the dipstick and see balls of water, this is obviously a bad sign.

You can put some onto a piece of clear plastic and shine a bright light at or through it. The dirt should be fine and uniform. If it granular, it might be the casethat water or coolant has been getting in, pulling the soot into balls, and then evaporating.

If you look at it and it isn't as dark as it should be for the hours, then something is up.

If you take some thick uncoated paper, i.e. paper without any gloss or special treatments and put a drop of oil on it, you can sometimes get a sense as to what is going on based upon what you see in the oil and the way it is absorbed and makes rings. Some people use cardstock for this. Some people use back light. Some people use a magic 8 ball. This is much more art than science. Look at it both with light shined at it, and with a super bright light shined from behind.

If you see a dark blob in the center but a wide muddy ring forms around it, there may be a lot of water in the oil. The water will spread through the paper faster, bringing some dissolved dirt with it.

If you happen to spot a wide and slightly lighter oil ring around the spot, but one that is still oily not dirty and wet, you are a magician. You found a ton of diesel in the fuel.

Some people claim this works better with paper towel than thick paper, but i usually just get a soggy mess. Maybe I'm not buying good enough paper towel.

Again, this type of blot test, except when comparing an engine to itself at the extremes, is more of an art than a science. And, it may be more psychology than science -- akin to an "ink blot test"

APEX OiL LAB

Ive used them for years and great results with email results within 5 days.

I had reports from Cat and Cummins 100 hours apart on a transmission. The Cummins report showed double the expected copper with the other numbers as expected and 100 operating hours later the Cat report showed all numbers within the expected parameters.

Not sure if it was different operators drawing the sample or different labs testing the sample that lead to the different outcomes.

Mike

I had reports from Cat and Cummins 100 hours apart on a transmission. The Cummins report showed double the expected copper with the other numbers as expected and 100 operating hours later the Cat report showed all numbers within the expected parameters.

Not sure if it was different operators drawing the sample or different labs testing the sample that lead to the different outcomes.

Mike

Not sure if you're saying the first oil sample had twice the PPM (Parts Per Million) of copper as compared to the second one or that the two labs had very different ideas of what would be considered normal levels. If the parts per million were twice as high on the first one, I would suspect a sampling technique error. The below video is a good explanation of how errors can occur and proper techniques to avoid them:

Ted

I hadn't thought of that

Thanks for the excellent question. To be honest, I just looked at the bottom line, green, yellow or red.

The copper reading in the transmission with the Cummins sample was 158 ppm and in the red. The copper numbers a hundred hours later from Caterpillar were 113 ppm and in the green.

I mistakenly thought the red numbers meant a course of action was needed. I asked around and the answer was there was nothing to do beyond monitoring.

I took the second test and mechanic's helper took the first.

Mike

I have used the Cat SOS tests for about 30 yrs for my boat.
Before that at the places I worked although those were mostly for high pressure hydraulic systems testing for dirt buildup but also for changes in the oil and additives over time.

Biggest problems with sampling is the techniques used. It takes very little poor technique to monkeyfy a sample.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom