mattresses over the winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
Just looking for the best way to keep my mattresses from getting moldy. I have two pillow tops that I would prefer not to take off the boat. Does anyone leave them on wrapped in plastic? I do not have access to power 24 / 7 or I would leave a dehumidifier on.

Tough one w/o power. How about bagging them with a Damp-Rid bucket carefully placed in the sealed bag?

Personally, I just keep the boat closed up tightly over the winter with a damp rid bucket in each cabin and one of the bags in each closet and head. I don't do anything special for the mattresses, couch cushions, etc. and I've yet to have a mold issue. Mold doesn't grow as easily in cold weather, so things don't have to be as dry as they do in the middle of summer.

I leave a dehumidifier on keeps the whole boat dry are sweet smelling. I have a hose that drains to the sink on the unit. It is set on a low setting. It’s a small unit from Lowes that had a drain hose connect.

There is a product called HyperVent that is designed to allow air to flow under the mattress, it is made with ting little plastic fingers that raise the mattress about an inch. If you keep the humidity levels below about 50% in the boat and keep the air circulating then you should be good.

Looks like the OP's in Massachusetts, so I assume winterized and maybe shrink wrapped with no power for a dehumidifier? We've found the greatest help is making sure the bilge is as dry and clean as we can get it before putting it away in the fall.

There is a product called HyperVent that is designed to allow air to flow under the mattress, it is made with ting little plastic fingers that raise the mattress about an inch. If you keep the humidity levels below about 50% in the boat and keep the air circulating then you should be good.

A previous owner of my last boat (4788) came up with a cheap and ingenious solution. He cut fairly thin 3/8" I suspect, plywood to shape then cut out 3" holes all over the plywood with a hole saw. Using the product of these cuts he glued 3 pieces of 'donut holes' together to make little plinths which he then glued to the underside of the plywood.

Result was a platform under the mattress that allowed airflow to the mattress.

I never had a mold problem.
~A

Mattresses get moldy from being warm on one side and cold on the other side.

If the boat is not heated simply propping the mattress up should keep it fine.

I prop my mattresses up on CLEANED, old plant pots so there is air space below.
THere are other ways of course.

I prop them up so air circulates.

Thank to you all, I now have them propped up on pvc pipe. It was a bargain they were pieces I had laying around and would never have used.

:thumb:
I use a vent pad year round. I also have some holes drilled in the plywood platform

Last edited:
Here is another solution that has worked us for six years. Ours is an aft cabin with a queen bed platform over the aft hull. We Iined the platform with half-inch, rigid foam boards, foil on both sides, to insulate against the temp differences. On top of that, for ventilation, we used 1'x1' interlocking Dri-deck. Before doing so, condensation soaked the underside of our mattress. Since, winter or summer, cold or hot, we have never again experienced a drop of moisture.

That is the reason why something like HyperVent is good, it works year round.

My PO built those and I use them. Easy to use during the winter.

Comodave, I am looking into Hyper vent as a long term liveaboard solution. Over the winter I will measure what is needed and install it. In May I am moving aboard to do the Loop and I see the benefit. Thank you Matt

Yes, ventilation is your friend, especially as a liveaboard.

We have the Hypervent under our mattress which was put in by the PO. Seems to work well, no sign of mold when we had it up north.

The only place I have mold is in the shower calking. My only excuse for not cleaning out the mold and re-calking is, I'm too daymned lazy. The mold came with the boat.

I have had some success in attacking mold in the caulking of showers using Clorox toilet bowl gel. Just lay a strip on there and let it be for a day or so.

I have had some success in attacking mold in the caulking of showers using Clorox toilet bowl gel. Just lay a strip on there and let it be for a day or so.

No showers for a couple of days? HA HA, my 'house mouse'/princess takes two showers a day.

Back
Top Bottom