Lehman oil change port connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I’m not sure how this is supposed to work but I’m going to bet some of you folks here can shorten my learning curve. In the picture here you’ll see I’m making the oil change with a tube in the dip stick hole. The hole in the bottom of the blue extraction tube is so small it makes me think no tube is supposed to go DOWN in the hole, but rather the threaded connector here works in a way that oil is simply sucked UP through it. If so that would seem to indicate use of an apparatus prior owner must not have used. I’d like to be able to use this extraction tube when we begin cruising in a couple of months. Hopefully I can adapt in some way the use of this $200 pump I just bought.
Thanks in advance folks for your suggestions!

Attachments

• D0AA23F2-58E7-43DA-8690-B275CCCE070E.jpg
    D0AA23F2-58E7-43DA-8690-B275CCCE070E.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
  • EFD405C8-8CB8-406F-B279-E6A940A3A05E.jpg
    EFD405C8-8CB8-406F-B279-E6A940A3A05E.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19
$200 pump?

Wow, I had been using a $29 pump for years that looked just like that one I bought off Amazon.

But sure, just get the right fittings and it should work. The fitting on the blue hose needs a fitting with a name I can't recall right now...sure someone will chime it in shortly.

You need to find a fitting that fits the threads on the end of the blue hose. Did it have a plug in the end to keep dust out? If so you can take that to a hardware store and match the threads to a fitting that you can adapt to your pump hose. Not sure, but it looks like it might be a 45* flare fitting. If you dont have a plug, you should get one once you figure out the right fitting type.

I’m probably mistaken on that price. I’ve been “ two hundreding “myself it seems quite a bit lately.

I would think the correct adapter could be best found from the pump manufacturer. But if you want off-the-shelf, you need to go from JIC (blue hose fitting), to 1/4" tube compression, similar to what an icemaker for many household refrigerators use. A quick Google search did not turn up an easy-button, so you may need to go JIC>>>NPT adapter, then NPT>>>1/4" compression tube adapter. I am not sure the size of the JIC in the picture - maybe 3/8"??? They come in 37-deg bevel and 45-degree, though 37-degree is much more common.

Again, you may be able to find the right single adapter from the OEM

Good luck. I hate plumbing for this very reason.

Peter

Last edited:
I would think the correct adapter could be best found from the pump manufacturer. But if you want off-the-shelf, you need to go from JIC (blue hose fitting), to 1/4" tube compression, similar to what an icemaker for many household refrigerators use. A quick Google search did not turn up an easy-button, so you may need to go JIC>>>NPT adapter, then NPT>>>1/4" compression tube adapter. I am not sure the size of the JIC in the picture - maybe 3/8"??? They come in 37-deg bevel and 45-degree, though 37-degree is much more common.

Again, you may be able to find the right single adapter from the OEM

Good luck. I hate plumbing for this very reason.

Peter

Hard to tell, but it looks like a #4 or #6 jic fitting. 1/4 and3/8 tube respectively . #4 will use an 11/16 wrench, #6 uses a 13/16. Shouldn’t be tough to make up the jic to 1/4 tube adapter. That pipe should have some sort of protection when not being used. A jic plug or breather cap maybe?

On the Lehmans in our last boat we had hoses like that. They ran to the drain plug in the pan. There was a shutoff valve at the pan that was kept closed except when draining the oil. It was great and would drain the 4+ gallons in a couple of minutes.

Looks like JIC maybe number 6 fitting. You can get a adapert to go from JIC to NPT thread and from there make your own hose to the pump using barb hose ends and may need a union to go from the JIC adaper to the barb end since most I see have male threds and the JIC will have a male NPT end. Number 6 is 3/8" Number 4 is 1/4" and number 8 is 1/2".

I have a assortment of fittings for all the draining of oil I do each week. I even have a 3/4 garden hose adapter to NPT 1/2" female. I put hose adapters on all of my hoses I pump with and use 5/8 silicone or hose rated for fuel oil. Normal green stripe gates hose will get soft and expand if using it with oil in time.

Once you get the right fitting to attach to the engine line, think hydraulic quick connect fittings, one for that hose and one for the pump end. The nice thing if they aren't to bulky or get in the way is you pop them apart and the engine side is sealed and so is the pump so drips and such are all but eliminated.

We had those set up on the assistance tow boats and oil changes were quick and not messy involving wasted time cleaning up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom