Just how deep is the hole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easternshore

Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Beneteau Flyer 12
Tomorrow marks year one of retirement, though house bound it certainly was better than being work bound.

We just finished year two of FL living, learned a lot but certainly just scratched the surface of So FL water vs. Chesapeake Bay water. We did harvest a record amount of razor clams in the water chest.

Pulled Claret, our MS Pilot 34, for new bottom paint to find Petit SR 60 is no longer available, trying Seahawk BioCop. Found there was no barrier coat but no blisters, :), so we had the bottom sand blasted (not sand but at $65/ft hope it was something good), Interlux barrier coat applied, plus prime, bottom paint, zincs and painted the running gear. New radar installed, ProMariner Battery charger being checked for a temperamental attitude charging the starboard bank, new a/c unit, repainted & remounted the swim platform and resurfacing the non-skid with epoxy.

Also in the process of our first 500 hour maintenance. Was amazed how well the Barnacle Buster worked cleaning both engines of gunk. The starboard engine was running about 10º hotter than the port engine. Claret’s raw water strainers are SeaSum strainers and the Seaflush funnel does not fit. Rich G has fashioned a great system to run the BB through his engine but with two engines I found it near impossible to crawl around the engine to make a similar device. I’m 6’3” and while getting around the engine is ok, getting back is the challenge. I purchased a Fernco 2” to 3” rubber adaptor at Lowes, the 2” side fit snugly in the strainer opening allowing me to easily pour 4 gallons of barnacle buster solution into the 3” “funnel” opening while the boss started the engine. We let it sit for 6 hours and couldn’t believe all of the gunk that came pouring out of the exhaust when we fired up the engines, certainly hope it was biodegradable per the label as that stuff looked rather nasty. Both engines now do run cooler.

After some serious check writing this week she’ll be back on the water (a boat in the water just sounds scary) and the next item is flushing & replacing the engine coolant. We have Yanmar 4LHA-STP engines and would appreciate any tips or watch out for this.......regarding changing the coolant.

Am currently looking to rent a Hammacher Schlemmer Personal Sub to see just how deep our “hole in the water” may be.

When I first moved my new to me Catalina 27 sailboat into my home marina at Sewell's in West Vancouver, an older lady came out on her cruiser tied up next to me. We did the usual chit chat talk and during this time I said the old "a boat is a hole in which to throw money." She said "Young man, (a number of decades ago now) your boat is a black hole, but you know what, it's your black hole. And usually the people talking about the black hole don't own a boat and probably wish they did. Go sail your black hole and have fun."

So true, its probably the best $ we've spent for endless hours of good times and memories.

.....regarding changing the coolant.

Use a 2 part cleaner , follow the instructions and flush ,flush. flush.

Use only distilled water to thin AF.

Back
Top Bottom