Cockpit steps/ladder repair or replace info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddie W

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tidal Holm
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1982
To follow up on a project I mentioned in my welcome post, I had three sets of ladder (steps) for my cockpit, two were teak and appeared original to the boat and the third was a Garlick brand that was pretty close but the teak steps had been replace with plastic. I looked for a teak replacement, found one for 150+ bucks but I did not like the style so I decided to refurb what I had and make two new steps out of teak I had at home. I have a large stash of Teak and Mahogany and sometimes have a difficult time telling the two apart, but this piece was very heavy, dense and had the grain pattern of Teak, so it is what I used. Total time from start to finish is about 20 hours. As a side note, I was able to secure the aluminum barrel bolts, rubber feet and stainless steel hardware at a local Ace Hardware, all for under 20 bucks. Here are a few pics from start to finish and a pick of what was offered new.

Attachments

• original steps.jpg
    original steps.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 47
  • tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 44
  • two steps.jpg
    two steps.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 43
  • trialfit.jpg
    trialfit.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 48
  • trialfit2.jpg
    trialfit2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 44
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 48
  • final2.jpg
    final2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.33.36 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.33.36 AM.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 54
Looks very nice. I have a 5 step boarding ladder that hooks onto the side of our sundeck that is aluminum with plastic steps. I polished the aluminum last year and it shines very nicely now. Keep up the good work.

Nicely done and a nice addition to your boat. I'm jealous of your woodworking abilities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom