2 oil dipsticks ? Which one is accurate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SILENTKNIGHT

Vessel Name
STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Make
2006 MAINSHIP 34T
My rngine in Yanmar 6LYA
The small district shows 3/4 full , and the long one is at full mark?
Which one is accurate, I don't want to overfill

I don't have a yanmar . but on my ford .I was advised to fill to capacity in manual and remark the dipstick . you could do this at the next oil change .

I have found the short dipstick on the starboard side of the boat to be more accurate on my 6lya-stp. I fill that short dipstick until it reads in the middle (or a little less) of the dipstick indicator.
After my first oil change using the longer dipstick, the engine started to blow a little black smoke when running it. After reading countless threads, I realized using that long dipstick indicator I slightly overfilled the motor with oil.

Hope that helps!

-Rich

Drain the engine completely. Then fill with the correct amount of oil per the manual. Then check with both dipsticks and see if one of them shows full. If so then use that dipstick. If neither of them shows full then remark one of them to show full and use that dipstick from then on.

Yes, that's where my starboard side reads the same...Thanks for the comparative results

I would not go by the manual as that prompted my initial overfill. There are a few articles on boatdiesel that made realize I overfilled and not trust the dipsticks or manual. 14 quarts seems to be my magic number when changing my oil. I change my oil every season (125hrs or so) and I don't burn much off during the season.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom