View Poll Results: What type of shower head does your boat have?
Hand held shower head 16 43.24%
Wall or ceiling mounted shower head 5 13.51%
Both hand held and wall / ceiling mounted 15 40.54%
We shower in the cockpit aspiring to be sailors 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Shower head on wall or hand held

Looking to do a makeover of the shower controls and hand held head. Curious what people with cruising boats have as far as hand held, mounted or both.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Our shower head can be hand held or attaches to the wall plus it has a shut valve at the head. In the mornings with out running the generator, we have enough hot water for two showers if we each do a generous GI shower. The shut of valve is nice once you get the water temperature adjusted and water up.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Our shower head can be hand held or attaches to the wall plus it has a shut valve at the head. In the mornings with out running the generator, we have enough hot water for two showers if we each do a generous GI shower. The shut of valve is nice once you get the water temperature adjusted and water up.
I have the same setup. The shower head is seriously lacking. The components have non standard threads which made replacing the hose challenging. Shower controls need to be rebuilt or replaced. So, I decided on a makeover. After 3 weeks on the boat, it was nice to use the home shower in the bathroom that was recently renovated. I've upgraded the water pressure on the boat, so need a more efficient head. Lots to consider.

Ted
Old 05-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Ted,
Sounds like we have the same set up. Handheld that has a wall mount with on the head shut off while "soaping", etc. I bought a new handheld this year, an Oxygenics from Camping World. They are highly rated as to good stream and low flow, with shut off at the head. However, I have not tried it yet. It is stuck at my US delivery station due to Covid restrictions. If we ship from US to Canada using a courier, the "added" on fees can be horrible, and they are not even listed when purchasing.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Our shower head is mounted on the wall and has about a 5' metal flex hose to the hand held shower head that has a shutoff at the head. We don't do GI showers. I'm not wasteful when it comes to showers but I do enjoy the luxury of a nice, hot shower when we're on board.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We put a Skandvik shower in one of our heads last year. So far we love it. It was not cheap but it also isn’t plastic.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Hi Ted,
Sounds like we have the same set up. Handheld that has a wall mount with on the head shut off while "soaping", etc. I bought a new handheld this year, an Oxygenics from Camping World. They are highly rated as to good stream and low flow, with shut off at the head. However, I have not tried it yet. It is stuck at my US delivery station due to Covid restrictions. If we ship from US to Canada using a courier, the "added" on fees can be horrible, and they are not even listed when purchasing.
Hi Tom ,

I've looked at the Oxigenics, they're available at Home Depot. Certainly one I'm considering. Several manufacturers offer a dribbling shutoff which would be desirable in my situation as I have a tempering valve at the water heater. The dribble shutoff should prevent the momentary spike when going to rinse off. Think they were one that offered it.

Ted
Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Our shower head is mounted on the wall and has about a 5' metal flex hose to the hand held shower head that has a shutoff at the head. We don't do GI showers. I'm not wasteful when it comes to showers but I do enjoy the luxury of a nice, hot shower when we're on board.
I agree! Would like mine to more resemble my home shower, while staying fairly water efficient.

Ted
Old 05-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We put a Skandvik shower in one of our heads last year. So far we love it. It was not cheap but it also isn’t plastic.
I have an older model of theirs now. Buy a spare hose now, they're British threads.

Ted
Old 05-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Same exercise on my boat....works great!
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
A shower head on a hose..... Standard household shower head.
The AT uses a shower stall purchased from a big box home improvement store.
The mixing on/off valve has no identifying marks.
Yes, I do like a good shower so I have a very nice water maker onboard too.
I refuse to go ‘camping’ on my boat.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 AM   #12
FF
Guru

The hand spray from a home sink unit is very efficient , uses tiny water , and uses US plumbing fittings . Cheap too!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Another vote for handheld, with a wall mount. In fact, for the last 30 years, in every home that we have owned, we have replaced the shower heads with this kind of arrangement.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #14
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Yep, same set up we have.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Ted: This is the mixer we have. Probably similar to the one Comodave referenced. The hose threads fit the shut off just before the head. I bought 3 different shower heads from a box store to get one that fit wall bracket, wasn’t too heavy but didn’t feel like something from the Dollar Store.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/scandvik...BoCFpkQAvD_BwE
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I've got the original 34 year old wall mounted handhelds with shutoff in my showers. They're not as good as a great home showerhead, but I'd say they're on par with an average one. Probably would be better with a higher pressure / volume water system, but as-is, they're plenty good enough for a water saving boat shower with no complaints. I can't say anything else would be significantly better in a functional sense.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #17
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I'm in the process of removing my old shower head and faucets. It was an okay idea in it's day, but we have used a different setup on other boats and like it more. We use a battery powered handheld that can be recharged with a USB port similar to this one. We have a collapsible bucket that we fill with the right temperature water and use on the back cockpit. It is easy to take a "navy" shower by turning it on and off (other styles have the switch right on the shower head). And you can look in the bucket and gauge how long to take. A gallon is about right.

Not everybody cruises where it is practical to shower on the back deck, but for us it works perfectly. If we are someplace where somebody might float by, I have some gardener's foam knee pads so that I'm only visible from the neck up. We even leave the wet towels outside. The only moisture that comes in is footprints.

I suppose that in a pinch we could fill the bathroom sink with hot water and use it in the bathroom but then we'd have all the mess, moisture and (sometimes) wet toilet paper. Getting rid of the dated shower paraphernalia in our little bathroom will also look better.

In redoing the FW system, I'm also thinking about changing the plumbing to the faucet in the cockpit to hot water. We really don't use it for much and I don't care if I use a little hot to rinse off boots or whatever. When taking showers, it would be convenient to fill the bucket there.

Yes, my wife is a trouper.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Flamingo View Post
We even leave the wet towels outside. The only moisture that comes in is footprints.
For the towels thing, we found that small binder clips are perfect for holding towels to our lifelines for drying them outside without fear of them going anywhere.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Ted: This is the mixer we have. Probably similar to the one Comodave referenced. The hose threads fit the shut off just before the head. I bought 3 different shower heads from a box store to get one that fit wall bracket, wasn’t too heavy but didn’t feel like something from the Dollar Store.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/scandvik...BoCFpkQAvD_BwE
The mixer I have is the same, but the threads for the hose were different from the standard one found at Lowe's, Home Depot, or the hardware store. I'm going the single lever Moen or equivalent route.

With the increased water pressure, I'm probably using more water through the hand held head. Going to one of the home units with a 1.8 or 2.5 GPM flow might be more efficient and have a better spray effect.

Ted
Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Agree-wall mounted hand held-add a shut off valve to save water. Makes cleaning the shower easier too! We installed wall mounted hand held sat home during remiss also -love em way more than a fixed hed