Nova cool fridge normal or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went back and checked the Nova Kool Installation and Troubleshooting Guide document, Nova Kool does explicitly state they use the BD family of Danfoss compressors. I couldn't find their .3A fan pin limit written in any of their documentation.

They don't explicitly state that they use a Danfoss control module but their DC only version wiring diagram does show a voltage table insert labeled "Danfoss Control Module". Just above that image, the similar table insert in the AC/DC version wiring diagram has no title and no mention of who's control module is used.

Maybe there is some subtle design difference between the DC and AC/DC versions (we purchased an AC/DC unit) or maybe Nova Kool is just trying to guardband their customer's installations to cut down on support calls. Although it's strange that you would need to call support to find out their lower current limit anyway.

My AC/DC NovaKool uses a standard Danfoss module, so it should handle 0.5 amps.

The Vitrifugo documentation said fans up to .5 amps were ok. I put in a Nocturna fan that drew only .05 amps. Worked great.

Maybe there is some subtle design difference between the DC and AC/DC versions (we purchased an AC/DC unit)

If they are using the Danfoss control module, I don't believe there is any difference for something like the DC fan spec whether you get the DC only, or the AC/DC. They both have the same "DC section" on the lower part of the control module. The AC addition is a separate section at the top that allows the unit to also run on AC -- but the fan section is always DC.

When I bought my Vitrifrigo in 2015, the shop only had a DC-only version in stock, and I wanted the AC/DC one. They simply switched control modules and the AC/DC one has the extra section on top that allows it to run on AC also.

Of course this would not apply if Nova Kool is somehow tweaking the module. That would be somewhat ironic to me though, because one reason I considered a Nova Kool is that they said they do use the Danfoss compressor, and that is a known quantity (other compressors may be great but I don't know that so I ruled out anything that used a different compressor).

Turned out the Vitrifrigo fit my space better due to the option of a remote compressor so I went that way (also uses BD compressor), but with the Danfoss BD the Nova Kool was also on my list.

Back
Top Bottom