How many BTU does the heating loop on an Perkins 4.326 put out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snapdragon III

Vessel Name
Snapdragon
Vessel Make
Custom 56' Skookum trawler
I am about to embark on installing a hydronic heating system in my new boat. I am going to use a small Kabola boiler, and about 10 fan units, divided into 6 control zones, plus hot domestic water heating. It is going to be quite a project. My big question is do I really need to tap into the engine heating loop of both of my engines? or would just one of them be plenty of BTU's? I do not really care about prewarming the engines. The engines are currently each heating one of 2 10gal water tanks. The tanks seem to take quite awhile to heat up, but I think that is due to them having a tiny pipe loop inside of them, as the water returning to the engine feels piping hot at the fittings, even when the domestic water is still stone cold. I have not actually taken supply and return temperature readings on the existing system, but plan to this week. The boiler I am installing is 30K BTU's. If one engine is capable of putting out anything close to that I could save a lot of spaghetti bowl piping in the engine room by just having one engine heat exchanger rather than two. If there were a couple times a winter when it was too cold to heat the boat while running off one engine, I can always just run the boiler too. I am not using the boat professionally, and while we use the boat in the winter, it tends to be local trips where we motor a few hours out to the San Juan Islands, and anchor for the night. It is not like we are motoring around 12 hours a day all winter.

So my question is. Does anyone have any idea how many BTU's the heating taps on my 85hp Perkins are likely to put out? I can't find much on the internet.

I am about to embark on installing a hydronic heating system in my new boat. I am going to use a small Kabola boiler, and about 10 fan units, divided into 6 control zones, plus hot domestic water heating. It is going to be quite a project. My big question is do I really need to tap into the engine heating loop of both of my engines? or would just one of them be plenty of BTU's? I do not really care about prewarming the engines. The engines are currently each heating one of 2 10gal water tanks. The tanks seem to take quite awhile to heat up, but I think that is due to them having a tiny pipe loop inside of them, as the water returning to the engine feels piping hot at the fittings, even when the domestic water is still stone cold. I have not actually taken supply and return temperature readings on the existing system, but plan to this week. The boiler I am installing is 30K BTU's. If one engine is capable of putting out anything close to that I could save a lot of spaghetti bowl piping in the engine room by just having one engine heat exchanger rather than two. If there were a couple times a winter when it was too cold to heat the boat while running off one engine, I can always just run the boiler too. I am not using the boat professionally, and while we use the boat in the winter, it tends to be local trips where we motor a few hours out to the San Juan Islands, and anchor for the night. It is not like we are motoring around 12 hours a day all winter.

So my question is. Does anyone have any idea how many BTU's the heating taps on my 85hp Perkins are likely to put out? I can't find much on the internet.

If it were my installation I would at the very most install one heat exchanger off of the same loop that currently feeds your domestic hot water heater.

You can go through a awful amount of work, and complication to save a very small amount of diesel fuel.

I guess about 30,000 based what heaters in a similar car engine could supply.

I use engine water to heat my boiler, but don't use heat exchangers. Each time there's a transition you loose efficiency. Both use water and anti-freeze, I don't see the point, and my system has worked fine 10 years (and the engines for 74).

I can supply heat to about 200,000 btu worth of air heaters. They are in 5 zones and don't all come on at the same time. Both main engines are plumbed into the hydronic lines, but separated by valves. I only use both in really cold weather. I have 2-Detroit 671s. I have a 48hp 4108 Perkins on a generator that's also plumbed in. Alone, it will supply one 28,000 btu heater poorly.
All my supply and return lines are well insulated, it makes a big difference when running on diesel.

Back
Top Bottom