Engine room walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markbarendt

Vessel Name
Vessel Make
Ocean Marine
07EDC9A9-64B8-41D6-B52D-D2B20E0B413B.jpg
3BD96E24-C757-4969-9D1B-DFCFD672666A.jpg
This is an example of the walls in my engine room.

Would you keep this type of wall and sound control or what?

Last edited:
Was it original? If so, keep it.
Could be there for sound isolation.
I dont have anything of the inside of my hull.

They are there for sound insulation but they perform very poorly in that application.

Those look like ceiling type tiles found on many Pacific rim boats built in the last century. The provide some sound absorption but are not a good sound barrier.

:socool:

For diesel sound mitigation you need some mass, preferably soft mounted by foam on both sides. There is a lot to sound insulation, frequency etc. Soundown is pretty good stuff. I have used it on multiple boats with good success.

Those tiles do nothing for sound “insulation.” They reduce reflected sound waves, and they don’t do that very well either. They are worthless and wait till you get them wet. Remove all that 1950’s crap and install proper Sundown as was mentioned. Or buy a big, big roll of 2lb mass loaded vinyl from Alibaba and go to town with it.

Plus they really date you engine space ☹️

Those tiles do nothing for sound “insulation.” They reduce reflected sound waves, and they don’t do that very well either. They are worthless and wait till you get them wet. Remove all that 1950’s crap and install proper Sundown as was mentioned. Or buy a big, big roll of 2lb mass loaded vinyl from Alibaba and go to town with it.

Plus they really date you engine space ☹️

Yes they really do date it.

The mass loaded vinyl is interesting.

Gosh I wish my list of boat projects was short enough to have removing that stuff at the top! I would love to go to town with mass loaded vinyl... someday....

When it comes to the long list of things to do, reducing engine noise while underway has always been at the top of my list. Otherwise it’s unenjoyable, and often painful, to go cruising.

They may cut down on the echo between the outside FG hull. a few dabs of construction adhesive and all will be well.

Last edited:
Hiding from submarines ??

Noise reduction in an attempt to hide from submarines ??

Those old paper tiles are probably there with the thought they will absorb a bit of noise. The certainly do nothing to insulate or isolate sound from the operator stating above this ER. I would consider attaching Sounddown to 1/4" plywood sections for the vertical surfaces, leaving an access for that tank access cover. The same might be done for the overhead or just use 2.5-3-inch long screws and fender washers to fix it in place. Here's the underside of my engine hatch - I had to buy heavier duty gas struts after I did this.

Attachments

• Eng hatch with new Soundown.jpg
    Eng hatch with new Soundown.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 27
rano, and those heavy duty gas struts are very expensive.
My engine room deck hatches are too heavy for the West Marine type gas struts.

Gosh I wish my list of boat projects was short enough to have removing that stuff at the top! I would love to go to town with mass loaded vinyl... someday....
me too hopefully one day I can have a list like that . I did tare a rotten wall out does that count ?

I would think, putting sound deadening tiles on the engine room hull sides would trap the heat in the engine room that normally escapes to the water.
Not interested.

I would think, putting sound deadening tiles on the engine room hull sides would trap the heat in the engine room that normally escapes to the water.
Not interested.

Hopefully he has enough air flow to help with that. Diesels need a lot of air just to run.

rano, and those heavy duty gas struts are very expensive.
My engine room deck hatches are too heavy for the West Marine type gas struts.

I replaced the two 100-pound gas struts on my engine hatch with two 150-pounders for a total of fifty bucks. I don't know about the really big ones.

Not interested.

Not sure how heat on the ER bulkheads gets leaked off to the water, but the heavy material would certainly hold a bit of heat longer than the junk the PO has. It's a trade-off, I guess. I am getting ready to deliver my first-ever houseboat. I am looking at ER photos. ER at aft end of the vessel, not under any part of the cabin. There is not one ounce of acoustic insulation there. Guess there is no need - well there is a generator in there, and the bed is close by. Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom