Which a/c unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandWood

Just wondering which company builds what would be considered a good a/c unit, much like the elegance heads that everyone touts, which A/C units stand out.

Would be more for heat then A/C, thanks

There very few manufactures left in the States.
China seems to be the main manufacture. The companies seem to buy each other out.

I travel the nation's interstates when not aboard Escape and I often wonder why the air conditioning systems I see on semi tractors have not made in roads in the marine world. They are inexpensive, efficient, effective, and require no hull penetrations for condenser water. They seem to do just fine in the harsh climate of northern winters where road salt attacks vulnerable metals. What am I missing?

220020210200195297616.jpeg

If you are using the heat more than the AC you might want to look at Flagship AC, the unit installed on our boat uses a real heating element, it's not reverse cycle for the heat. We also have a diesel heater like the truckers above that we used when it's below 32, this heats the boat up fast and then the flagship takes over and keeps us warm.

I travel the nation's interstates when not aboard Escape and I often wonder why the air conditioning systems I see on semi tractors have not made in roads in the marine world. They are inexpensive, efficient, effective, and require no hull penetrations for condenser water. They seem to do just fine in the harsh climate of northern winters where road salt attacks vulnerable metals. What am I missing?

220020210200195297616.jpeg

As a guy that added AC this year I would have liked to know those existed beforehand

They've been around for quite a while, as in many years. In the truck world anyway. Last time I brought this up the consensus was that the marine environment would eat up the exposed components. I have since driven through another northern states winter and seen these units mounted on the back of countless semis that are not only coated in salt spray, but spraying salt all over my vehicle as I pass them. It keeps me thinking. And asking.

If you are using the heat more than the AC you might want to look at Flagship AC, the unit installed on our boat uses a real heating element, it's not reverse cycle for the heat. We also have a diesel heater like the truckers above that we used when it's below 32, this heats the boat up fast and then the flagship takes over and keeps us warm.

The problem with a heating element is that they may be only 1,500 watts. That is like a space heater. If you need more heat than that then reverse cycle is the way to go. When we lived in Arizona cooling was the big priority. Heat was a more minor issue. When we were boating in the winter we needed a bit of heat. Ours had reverse cycle so if it needed a bit of heat it would activate the compressor and immediately heat the boat up. Then shut down, on and off continuously. So we quit using the reverse cycle and just pointed a space heater at the return duct and ran the fan on the A/C. That was enough heat. I wish that boat had the heating element in it rather than reverse cycle heat.

I installed Velair AC units this summer.

What I like is the VFD technology.

What that does is vary the compressor output vs on-off the compressor.

This eliminates high start up loads, and it also arguably saves significant energy during times that the AC unit is not running at full cooling capacity which is much of the time.

The truck units are a bit small for boats, multiple units might be needed. Looks like they top out around 12k btu. Sort of a mini split with 12 or 24 volt compressor.
Most boats use 16k btu units, and multiples of those in warmer climes.
I bet in more temperate zones they’d work.

My recommendation is to put in a 16k and maybe and/or 12K marine unit (2nd unit). If you have an air outlet splitter in the A/C output, put in a plastic, adjustable splitter (flapper valve), nice smooth walls so as to not impede the air flow. Once you get the flapper valve adjusted, put some 12vt compartment fans near the air outlets, to stir up the air in the saloon and stateroom(s).
We have had some 100F days while maintaining about 82F on the inside. I am a very ‘happy camper.’
Now per heating? Other than the reverse cycle on the A/Cs I have 2 resistance heater, built-in (I forgot the sizes) plus one portable ceramic heater.
The 2 resistance heaters do peg out the 30 amp boat.
American tug has a fantastic lay out when it comes to the various ‘systems.’ Oh, I have a 5KW Northen Lights generator.
These are my recommendations based upon my experience so, I am done. SMILE

The truck ac is dealing with a LOT less space than a boat unit.

That said, a PO installed a an RV style rooftop unit on my current boat (maybe you cane see it on my avatar). It seems to be doing fine after 12 years or so; although I do occasionally have to treat a bit of rust forming on the exterior grill work. I also pull the cover and squirt some corrosion control on some of the interior metal like the fins.

There is a lot of copper in the quality Dometic DTU marine ac model I installed in the cabin to replace the rotted out original - rot due to long term water in the condensation pan due to clogged drains.

The truck ac is dealing with a LOT less space than a boat unit.

That said, a PO installed a an RV style rooftop unit on my current boat (maybe you cane see it on my avatar). It seems to be doing fine after 12 years or so; although I do occasionally have to treat a bit of rust forming on the exterior grill work. I also pull the cover and squirt some corrosion control on some of the interior metal like the fins.

There is a lot of copper in the quality Dometic DTU marine ac model I installed in the cabin to replace the rotted out original - rot due to long term water in the condensation pan due to clogged drains.

Then you are almost forced to replace with an identical unit. Sort of like take your cousin to her prom

Then you are almost forced to replace with an identical unit. Sort of like take your cousin to her prom

I don't know why. There are lots of different rooftop units which would fit, IF I even wanted to replace it. More than likely I'd have the hole glassed over.

As for the marine unit I replaced, the small size of the boat and the area it had to go into required me to replace the ruined unit with a unit of very similar dimensions, but engineering improvements in ac units allowed me to fit a unit of 142% greater capacity in the same spot - the first unit was marginal when it was working.

Dometic seems to have the lions share of the market due to volume production. Most of the big marine suppliers are very comparable.The reverse cycle heat pumps are going to perform about the same, can't change physics.
Are you dockside or cruising ?
Cruising you can install supplemental heat coils using engine cooling water.
If dockside, what is your preferred energy source for supplemental heat?

In the duct electrical coils? Heat pods are an easy install if you have limitless 120vac.
Free standing oil filled 120vac heaters seem to be the easiest low buck dockside fix.
Cheap Chinese diesel heaters are all over the internet at a fraction of the cost of the older marine units.

I would go with Dometic or Mermaid Manufacturing. I bought 2 units from MarineAire in Ft Lauderdale. The 2nd unit was defective out of the box and their response was hostile to say the least. When they grudgingly shipped the repair part for that issue, we found the unit had a defective pump control relay. Their response at that time was to tell me it was my problem, void my warranty and threaten me with a lawsuit if I tried to challenge them. Multiple marine AC repair vendors in our area said first mistake was buying from them. Feel free to PM me for more details. I installed 3 units in our Hatteras that Ian destroyed, and that unit never worked. That being said, I replaced original split Crusair units with new single piece units, running power and water hoses to the install locations, and same vendors said I did beautiful work.

Last edited:
Check out Ocean Breeze. https://www.oceanbreezeac.com/ Made in Stuart, Fl. They used to also make units for Flagship but not sure if they still do or if Flagship is now making their own. Ocean Breeze makes both self contained units and split units and can do custom design as well. Good bunch of people with over 30 years of marine a/c manufacturing experience. No connection, just a satisfied customer. Very pleased with the three units on MOJO.

Check out Ocean Breeze. https://www.oceanbreezeac.com/ Made in Stuart, Fl. They used to also make units for Flagship but not sure if they still do or if Flagship is now making their own. Ocean Breeze makes both self contained units and split units and can do custom design as well. Good bunch of people with over 30 years of marine a/c manufacturing experience. No connection, just a satisfied customer. Very pleased with the three units on MOJO.

PO of Pau Hana highly recommended Flagship but at the time we were buying they had a backlog. He had installed their units on the bigger yacht he captained. No experience with Ocean Breeze.

The Dometic DTU model I bought has a LOT of copper on it, and it starts very quietly. It was significantly more expensive than the "regular" model.

Oil-filled aux heat has been my go-to for years as the safest method. I use one all winter here in NWFL connected to a thermostatic plug, on at 35F and off at 45F on the unoccupied boat.

Dometic has excellent tech help. I know as I called numerous times as the prior owner had a new unit installed and it never quite worked right until I tweaked it here and there and now is performing as designed.

PO of Pau Hana highly recommended Flagship but at the time we were buying they had a backlog. He had installed their units on the bigger yacht he captained. No experience with Ocean Breeze.

In 2000 I met and talked at length with the owners of both companies, Tom Martland of Flagship and Joe Baruck of Ocean Breeze and the Flagship office was just down the street from Ocean Breeze in Stuart. Ocean Breeze was building units for Flagship at that time. The Flagship units of today look a lot like what Ocean Breeze is making so they may have an on-going relationship. I don't think you can go wrong with either unit.

I installed a 21k btu Velair variable speed drive to replace a 1990 Marine air 16k btu unit. The new unit uses less power having output that can vary from 22k to 7 k btu. The reduced noise and variable output is a big improvement over the old on/off function. The old one lasted 32 years but the new variable speed is much easier to live with.
We been using in the PNW for the past month mostly heating with water temps varying from about 52f to 65f.

We have 1 Dometic and 2 Climma air conditioners on board. Must say I am most happy with the Dometic, which is a simple design and never lets us down. The dometic comes with a magnetic pump which is basically fail safe since there are no moving parts.
Another good point of the Dometic is that it does not use a lot of electricity, which is very important when we are on solar power. The whole system (16.000 BTU) draws about 35 amps at 24 V, which I can easily cover with the solar panels.

The climma air conditioners I am not too happy with. The unit themselves are OK, but the control panel is rather flimsy. The on/off button wears out real fast and then you have to buy a complete new control panel. Last time I paid over 300 euro for 1 panel, which is a bit ridiculous if you have to change it out every single year.
The Climma don't come with a pump, so you need to install that separately and I consider that also a yearly maintenance issue. During the winter the pump is not in use and by the time that the season starts the pump has ceased. First I went to cleaning it every time, but now I just change them out for a new one. For about 50 euro I have a new pump and that ensures no problems during the season.
Another negative part about the Climma is that it is much louder than the Dometic.

For heating I have a Kabola diesel burner, which is connected to a normal central heating onboard, so I have radiators in every space of the boat. Keeps the boat nice and warm during the colder days.

Last edited:

Had two of their units on our last boat. Even though they had rotary compressors they vibrated so bad you could feel it throughout the boat. Noisiest units we ever encountered. Never again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom