Bilge alarms, pump counters, and pump totalizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Hi all,

I bought my current boat about 1.5 years ago at the tail end of a major overhaul and have been getting the details worked out ever since (totally expected).

A couple of weekends ago I reinstalled what were once, and now are again, "high" and "super high" bilge water level alarms on the flybridge, which are in addition to the ones on the lower level.

Then, last weekend, I came back in from a short trip out and, upon washing up, I heard a noise and thought I'd left the shower sump pump on. Nope. It was the lowest bilge pump barely keeping up (but keeping up).

No alarms were going off -- the alarms are set just above the lowest pump's level. And, the counter wasn't counting -- the pump started a "cycle" and was still on that cycle pumping away.

Things could have gone badly if I left the boat and the bilge pumps clogged or the boat lost power and they ran the batteries out, or they otherwise failed. By the time the boat filled up a bit and the alarms went off -- I'd have been long, long gone and the batteries could be too dead for the alarm, anyway.

I might tie the "super high" alarm to the horn via a relay or transistor, interrupted by a NC relay when the ignition circuit is on. That way, if I'm not running the boat, and something like this happens -- the boat persistently yells out in an attention-getting way to the neighbors and marina for help.

But, in any case, the leak made me think -- I really need a "now pumping" light at each helm -- as well as a 12V chronometer/totalizer for that lowest pump to tell me that it has been running, and for how long it has been running, since the last time I reset the counter.

Something similar to one of these is the idea:
-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-Di...r-industrial-12V-DC-Meter-Panel-/251248898156
-- https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Digital-Totalizer-Chronometer-Industrial/dp/B00VKASYPC

Any 12V Hobbes gauge would actually work -- but for the ability to easily reset (from the front).

For the models above, the basic idea would be to use the device to time how long the bilge pump has run since the last reset, installing one such device at each helm:
-- The same float switch that powers the pump is used as the timed (IN)put to the chronographs.
-- GND is, well, the (-)GND
-- RST is connected via a normally open momentary switch to ground.
-- And nominal +12VDC (8VDC-12VDC) power is connected BOTH via a diode (0.7VDC volt drop) to the (IN)put and via another diode to the ignition-powered instrument circuit.

The idea being that when the boat is in use, the gauge will be ignition powered and show the total number of hours:minutes:seconds the bilge pump has run since the last reset. When the boat is not in use, the gauge will be unpowered and dark, unless the float switch powers it along side the pump, in which case the pump circuit will power the pump, power the gauge, and serve as input to the chronometer to be counted. Since the chrony remembers the cumulative time, even when unpowered, the display will in fact be cumulative.

About the only catch is I don't know how these chronometers react when they hit 99:99:99. I'd like for them to stop there or show an overflow code -- but they might wrap around to 0 which could hide a problem after 4+ days of cumulative pump operation.

I obviously need fuses, but don't need to worry about the 0.7V drop across the diodes, as the nominal 12VDC input and power are good down to 8VDC. (Alternatively, I could also use a relay or transistor to let the pump and ignition circuit switch an always-on power circuit -- but that seems more complicated than need be).

So....my questions are these....

-- Why are cycle counters more common than run time counters, e.g. chornograph totalizers?
-- Why do people prefer counters to something like this? They seem more common?
-- Am I missing something? This seems like it is clearly the right way to go.

If you happen to be curious about that dripless shaft seal (DSS)....it isn't as big of a problem or surprise as it may seem.

When I bought the boat, the surveyor told me the boot, carbon stator, stainless rotor, clamps, etc, were all good. And, they all seemed good to me. But, although the boot felt soft and good, it didn't push the carbon very hard against the rotor. It just seemed to have gotten comfortable squished. So, it was on my radar.

I called the PO and the PPO and neither remembered ever replacing the boots, etc. And, together they went back almost two decades. When I had the boat hauled to do a thru-hull (I was out of town) they checked the boots and told me they were fine. So, I figured I do them in a year or so along with the bottom paint.

Well, that was a year ago. I still don't need bottom paint. But, may get it anyway while replacing the boots.

For now, I slid the boot and the rotor closer together to get more compression and pressure to seal and that solved the problem. I also ordered the maintenance kits. And, am working on scheduling the haul.

Many thanks!

-Greg

I might take it from your post that your boat isn't hooked to shore power and you have the pumps hooked to relatively low capacity batteries.... that would be good to know if yes or no.

Aqualarm has a variety of solutions, unless you are just looking for a DIY project to do.

Our old Hatteras came OEM with high water alarms, hooked to an electric horn under the FB console. There was one such Hatt in the slip across the fairway from us, and one evening it went off. I looked over and saw water coming out the through hull and called the marina emergency number, as the boat was locked. The horn was noticeable but no anywhere near as loud as the main airhorns... that would have been incredibly irritating and unnecessary.

If you have auto-off-manual switches for the pumps at the helm, it's easy to add a "now pumping" light. Connect an LED from the manual leg to ground. In most setups, the manual leg will be powered while pumping in auto.

I've got indicators at the helm wired like that for my 3 main pumps. Adding indicators / alarms on the high water backup pumps is on the to-do list...

Interesting thought about the alarms. I have never given an alarm serious consideration but I may now.

With so many boats running air conditioners 24/7, even when owners are absent for weeks at a time, water discharge never stopping isn't an indicator of a struggling bilge pump. Might be an acceptable idea for a simple stick on label near the A/C discharge and bilge pump discharge. "Heat pump".. "Bilge pump"

When my boat goes into the water this spring I will have an emergency contact note on a door. It's an idea I picked up from this forum

pete

I had Aqualarm make me a custom panel. I have 2 separate compartments, each has a small primary pump and a large emergency pump. On my To Do List is to add alarms to the emergency pumps. Fuses are located on a separate panel from the main fuse panel. My bilges are dry. So any number on the re-settable counter is cause for investigation. I annually test all pumps and control panel functions.

DSCN1336.jpg

Ted

Not to discourage you from building your own setup, but to offer up another way to skin the cat for you and others looking to solve such a problem......

All this can be done with a Maretron system. You can detect the existing pumps running, indicate they are running, sound an alarm if they are running, including a delay so it will only alarm if it runs more than some amount of time, count run cycles, and count cumulative run time. Any alarms can any combination of an on-screen indicator, an audible alarm, activating an external device like a horn or light, sending and email, and sending a text.

The down side of such a system is that getting started with a Maretron system can be a big gulp. But once installed, it can be expanded pretty easily, and has very rich functionality.

As a pertinent example, I have pump alarms on my last boat. I had dripless shaft seals, so a dry bilge, making any pump operation a cause for concern. One day the boat was in Seattle and I was back home on the east coast, and I got an email saying the bilge pump was running. Humm, that's not right I thought. Then moments later I got another email saying the high water pump had come on. There were two pumps, a little one and a big one at staggered heights. The big one coming on was a big "oh shirt", so I immediately called the shop that was looking after the boat. Turns out their boat watch guy was checking on the boat and testing the pumps.

Phew, but sold me on the value of the whole system.

My boat is hooked to shore power when I'm not here. It also has solar and good sized batteries, with one or two pumps attached to each bank except genset.

Coming off if the pump switch vs float switch is a really nice idea. Thanks! Thats an easy way to boat wire my counters and run upper and lower LEDs.

Ah. Aqualarm Counter Plus does what I want. I didnt read the description the first time, just assumed it was a counter:
-- https://aqualarm.net/bilge-alarms-switches-c-6/20148-bilge-pump-counter-plus-p-228.html

(Amazon chrony is1/5 the price, but provides less info).

Many thanks, everyone!
-Greg

But, I can be gone for extended periods at time, divers can unplug things, etc. And, when the pumps run, they can run things down.

A neighbor's boat partially sunk at the slip after an apparent problem with a conventional stuffing box (?????). It was a $15k insurance claim.

He is more of a dockside boater, but his boat does run. Apparently the leak(s) were long term and unnoticed. The pumps kept up until the marina cut power for maintenance, then when it came back on and his boat all restarted at once he popped a breaker. Then the batteries eventually went dead. An attentive neighbor saw the swim platform underwater and called him and the marina. The marina apparently saved the boat with pumps. Then, it almost happened again before the repairs were done -- the hose came off of his bilge pump and it was just circulating the water. The same neighbor checked on the boat, noticed and fixed it. The insurance company may ended up paying to correct all of the silliness that could sink the boat as well as for new wiring, etc. I was a little surprised they paid so easily, didnt drop him, etc.

The Maretron system is on my long term list, but there is a lot before it. In the meantime, I want a solution I can install and be confident in within a couple of hours. That way, I know the boat is all good.

That panel is nice, but those are cycle counters vs timers?

My boat has DSSs, so is dry....except rain getting in the aft laz hatch. And, Florida is rainy, most years. At some point I should integrate a drain and seal it better. It isnt that it leaks a ton, it is just that until it gets to pump level, it goes no where.

Thanks again!

So many items can have an electric alarm , even clock radios , I much prefer a ringing bell as an alarm to get attention.

Beep Beep is for the Roadrunner , not your boat sinking or being broken into.

Back
Top Bottom